Thread: Suggestions for a cigar newbie?

Default Suggestions for a cigar newbie?

I'm really new to cigars and although I can't wait to dive deeper into this hobby, I'm not sure where to start!
    Does anyone have any good recommendations for cigars or even samplers for a beginner to try? I don't want to smoke White Owls or Swishers but nor do I need to start off with a Gurkha! I think a good price range is probably anything under $10.
    I am trying to get advice from anywhere I can and you guys on here really know your stuff!
    If you have one a good beginner's cigar that you don't want, I would be willing to take it off your hands in the Exchange section.
    Any thoughts on what I should smoke?
    Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jakecartier3 View Post
    I'm really new to cigars and although I can't wait to dive deeper into this hobby, I'm not sure where to start!
    Does anyone have any good recommendations for cigars or even samplers for a beginner to try? I don't want to smoke White Owls or Swishers but nor do I need to start off with a Gurkha! I think a good price range is probably anything under $10.
    I am trying to get advice from anywhere I can and you guys on here really know your stuff!
    If you have one a good beginner's cigar that you don't want, I would be willing to take it off your hands in the Exchange section.
    Any thoughts on what I should smoke?
    Thanks in advance!
    While I can relate to your enthusiasm, why don't you just hit the review section, read some reviews, and then hit the local B&M and talk to someone behind the counter. Or, use search.

Will

ETA: Why do newbs always reference Gurkhas as highly desirable?
    Last edited by badwhale; 05-11-2010 at 12:03 AM.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    While I can relate to your enthusiasm, why don't you just hit the review section, read some reviews, and then hit the local B&M and talk to someone behind the counter. Or, use search.

Will

ETA: Why do newbs always reference Gurkhas as highly desirable?
    I'm doing all of the above, I just wanted to get as much info as I can.
    Gurkha was the first thing that popped up when I searched 'expensive cigar,' haha.\
    Thank you!

Blog Entries

A good sampler for a Newbie? Nope, haven't heard of any.

5. Default

I think there was a thread about an effort to get newbies samplers from members, but you might need to be more stablished for that, if its still going on.

You can do what I did, and just start getting samplers from some internet cigar shops. They usually have a lot of them at good prices. The best way to figure out what you like is by trying different smokes first hand.

designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Mangy,
    Your too fucking nice !
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Mangy,
    Your too fucking nice !
    I have been called a lot of things but never too fucking nice.

I feel special now
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    I have been called a lot of things but never too fucking nice.

I feel special now
    By looking at your sigtag, I'd say you are!

10. Default

Try something from the Ashton classic series. It's a nice mild cigar with flavor. BTW, 99% of Gurkha's suck and it's not worth smoking those crappy cigars to discover the ones that don't. Besides, they always discontinue the good ones.

Doc.
    Last edited by Devil Doc; 05-12-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Why do newbs always reference Gurkhas as highly desirable?
    I have been thinking on this question too. Being a newb still myself... I think it has a lot to do with product presentation, their product looks nice, they have much variety of sticks to choose from, and the "Gurkha" name and lable seem to carry a certain mystique to them. For what it is worth... I was really into trying them too in the beginning. I guess hype can pay off for companies... and then again looks can be deceiving too. Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Head over to the exchange section and find the newbie sampler thread -- someone was kind enough to sticky it, so it's always near the top...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I have been thinking on this question too. Being a newb still myself... I think it has a lot to do with product presentation, their product looks nice, they have much variety of sticks to choose from, and the "Gurkha" name and lable seem to carry a certain mystique to them. For what it is worth... I was really into trying them too in the beginning. I guess hype can pay off for companies... and then again looks can be deceiving too. Roger.
    It may partly be the fact that they are media whores who buy up full page ads in every cigar rag they can find. IMHO they are way over rated and over priced. I'll take a Gispert maduro toro or El Rey del Mundo robusto Large at about $4.00 over a $10.00 Gurkha shitstick anyday.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

ilikefishes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    It may partly be the fact that they are media whores who buy up full page ads in every cigar rag they can find. IMHO they are way over rated and over priced. I'll take a Gispert maduro toro or El Rey del Mundo robusto Large at about $4.00 over a $10.00 Gurkha shitstick anyday.
    I resemble this comment.

Blog Entries

I too wanted to try a Ghurka when I first started. My only reason: The guy on the band looks like a badass.

16. Default

I can agree with them not being shy about putting their name out there. Ghurka came up more than anyone else in my initial searches.

I started smoking Oliva Serie G and Serie O maduros when I first started. I thought they were great then, and still are.

Just my $0.02.
    "The world's a tough place, kid. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

When I first started getting into cigars more then just the occasional smoke, I found a good local B&M that became my haunt. I bothered the guys there quite a bit and when I had some money to burn they'd help me put together a "sampler" from their humidor. Yes I paid a premium for the smokes, but I got a lot of helpful information and I enjoyed it.

I started with Oliva, I still find that I love a nice box pressed Serie G every once in a while. There are a lot of sticks out there and the best way to try them is the newb sampler. Look on the thread for it, you'll see a recent post from me.

I did this with EGQ (BTW I love the new signature picture) and was shocked. The way it worked was that EGQ told me some of his personal favorite cigars, I went and got 3-4 5ers for him. He then went in his humi and pulled out a HUGE variety of smokes and shipped them to me. You don't need to be established at all on the forum to join in this. You will however need to ship first but honestly don't worry about this. The FOGs on the forum are not going to screw you over and ruin a good thing for a couple of sticks.

EGQ hooked me up with enough smokes to let me try a new stick (some of which I had never even heard of) for a long time. I still go through my humi and pull something that I've never tried every couple of days.

Anyway, welcome to the boards. Read more post less. Do the newb trade

Blog Entries

Padron.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information