Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aunthenticity Verification

Default Aunthenticity Verification

Do you have a suspect ISOM? Want to see what some seasoned smokers think of the coveted smokes someone was kind enough to gift you or that you purchased from a road side vendor outside of Cancun? This is the place.

My brother-in-law was kind enough to purchase these for me from a roaming vendor on a beach in Cancun (Clue #1). They will never set foot in my humidor...

Note the coveted glass-topped case (Clue #2) these lovelies come in -- don't let the stickers fool you...

It came with Habanos style paper insert -- but note the variation in boder space (Clue #3).

Where to begin -- the color of the bands, the consistently askew typeset on the labels, the brown gunk on the Edicion Limitada band (Clue ## 4, 5 and 6).

And we finish with some sub-par construction and a less than ideal wrapper (Clue #7).

These are beyond hinky...

put them in a tupperdore for a while then try them. You never now. I've had fakes that, while I couldn't tell you the origin, were still pretty good.

Save them in case fark comes back and wants to buy them
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

ahhhh...If only this thread had been here before I stuck my foot up my ass !
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Those look perfectly good to me!!!

What???

6. Default

hey George them look almost like the ones you sold me
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    hey George them look almost like the ones you sold me
    Nah... The ones I sold you were FAR more fake than these.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Nah... The ones I sold you were FAR more fake than these.
    It is all in how you prepare the cello ...
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

I am 100% certain it is not legit. It has the raised lettering and dark brown color of the old band, with the FdL of the new band. Second opinions?

The following from Cigar Afficiando's counterfeit gallery:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...392,33,00.html
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

What is the box date supposed to be?

Blog Entries

I have no idea on the box date as I received it in a pass. The problem that sticks out to me the most is the embossing. It is not nearly as deep as the one in the link.

The problem should start with the box. After that it's moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I am 100% certain it is not legit. It has the raised lettering and dark brown color of the old band, with the FdL of the new band. Second opinions?
    I'm no authority by any means and am just trying to help so bear with me.

I recently purchased a newbie sampler from a fellow Canadian who's a member here. The sampler included a Montecristo Torpedo which I smoked while out camping last weekend. I grabbed the band out of my collection and had a very close look and compared. I did try to take a pic to post for you but my stupid camera can't take one that close that is clear.

I compared everything I could and the one in the picture matches in every way except that the color is a little redder than the one I have. But that could easily be lighting. Mine matches the one from the link I posted exactly. I compared the logo, the font, where the lines on the side meet up in comparison to the lettering inside and it all looks identical to the one I have. If that is a fake, the band is a very good fake!

If you'd like, you could send a copy of the image you have to the fellow who runs the tobacco store I do most all of my business with. I trust Chris, and if you're interested in getting him to have a look, here's a link to his store's website:

http://www.tobacconist.ca/

Chris is the dude in the middle with the cigar in his mouth. There's an email link direct to him at the bottom right. He travels a lot so you may not get an immediate answer but I know he does have Monte's in the walk-in so it would be easy enough for him to compare. You could probably send your box info to him as well.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I picked up some Monte Open Regatas the last time I was in Mexico (from a Casa del Habano) -- that label was the darker brown with the new FdL -- if I have any left in the humi, I'll post a pic.

No Regattas left, but I did have some Edmundos lying around. The Edmundo's box date is PAL SEP08, and the No. 2's is BLP OCT08. The new FdL appears to have been used on the darker, "old" colored labels. I took the pic with a camera phone -- the typeset isn't actually blurred...

Bottom line -- I wouldn't question the authenticity of Eville's Monte based solely on the label color.

Blog Entries

Here is a band from a suspect cigar. The band seems legit to me, but the cigar's construction seemed sub-par...

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

To me i really don't mind if a cigar is a fake or not as long as its a good cigar.

If it taste like trash and i get no enjoyment at all out of smoking it then ill be pissed.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 06-04-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

With mine, the main thing that is suspect to me now is that the embossing is not nearly as pronounced as it is on this site http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/foru...hp/t43647.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    To me i really don't mind if a cigar is a fake or not as long as its a good cigar.

If it taste like trash and i get no enjoyment at all out of smoking it then ill be pissed.
    If they're yours and you're good with them, fine. However, sometimes they come up in passes or trades, and that's when the shit hits the fan. That's the recent point of all this.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information