Thread: New Pipe vs Used

Default New Pipe vs Used

I would have thought that a new pipe would be the preference but others seem to be good with previously owned pipes. Other than already being broken in, are there advantages to a used pipe? I would think the previous owner's brand of tobacco would impact how it smokes.

Todd

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    I would have thought that a new pipe would be the preference but others seem to be good with previously owned pipes. Other than already being broken in, are there advantages to a used pipe? I would think the previous owner's brand of tobacco would impact how it smokes.

Todd
    I'll defer answering the last sentence to more experienced guys...

Advantages that I can think of for a used pipe is 1) selection 2) character 3) possibly less expensive.

I like to recycle and restore things, so it's in my nature to get something used, and re-furbish it. I find that for a lot of things, older items are made better than today. Ya know, more replaceable parts. Better serviceability. This may not be completely applicable to pipes, but I'm sure there's some vintage pipes with a lot of life left in them, that you just won't find new.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

3. Default

You can pick up used aka estate pipes at a substantial discount if you shop around. Antique Shops and garage sales are a good place to start.

You can clean and sanitize one and get into really good shape and eliminate most ghosting of flavors. There are several methods but the salt treatment is best for cleaning bowls. You fill the bowl with un-iodized salt. You then get an eyedropper and fill it with PGA or vodka. Slowly drop it into the bowl until it is full to the top. Let it sit overnight, empty it and scrub the bowl with a paper towel. Take care to not get any booze on the finish of the pipe. Use baking soda to clean the stem. This usually gets any ghosting out. If there is still ghosting you can smoke a few bowls of burley through it. That eliminates any ghosting...Five Brothers tobacco is recommended for this by many folks I've talked to.

You can buff and wax the outside of the bowl and make it look almost brand new.

Lots of folks use e-bay to buy estate pipes...I'd rather deal with folks I know though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    You can pick up used aka estate pipes at a substantial discount if you shop around. Antique Shops and garage sales are a good place to start.

You can clean and sanitize one and get into really good shape and eliminate most ghosting of flavors. There are several methods but the salt treatment is best for cleaning bowls. You fill the bowl with un-iodized salt. You then get an eyedropper and fill it with PGA or vodka. Slowly drop it into the bowl until it is full to the top. Let it sit overnight, empty it and scrub the bowl with a paper towel. Take care to not get any booze on the finish of the pipe. Use baking soda to clean the stem. This usually gets any ghosting out. If there is still ghosting you can smoke a few bowls of burley through it. That eliminates any ghosting...Five Brothers tobacco is recommended for this by many folks I've talked to.

You can buff and wax the outside of the bowl and make it look almost brand new.

Lots of folks use e-bay to buy estate pipes...I'd rather deal with folks I know though.
    Right on. The salt method is what I used to re-furb my pipes. I used some shitty moonshine as the alcohol. I understood that is has to be high enough proof to burn to be useable.

The stems, I soaked them for a bit in a 50/50 chlorox / water solution and they cleaned up nice. At first the stems had a bit of a white color to them, but that buffed out.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I used some shitty moonshine as the alcohol
    Nice I used 'shine for fire spitting when I was a street performer. It's just as flammable as lighter fluid and doesn't break down the lining of your brain

6. Default

I personally don't care for estate pipes. I like breaking in my own, quarter bowl by quarter bowl. It's a pain in the ass, but I know I've done it right and I've become closer to my pipe than if someone smoked it before me. Pipes are a personal thing to me. I like to know that no one has been there before me.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Thread Information