Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How about a blind Pipe Tobacco PIF

1. Default

Just in case you have not taken a whiff of #3 it is an aromatic...Thought I'd tell you. You might want to smoke it in a cob or a lesser pipe.
    Last edited by cigarsarge; 12-04-2010 at 05:03 PM.

I'll put it through my meerschaum

Alright- two down, three to go-

#1 -
    strength: mild
    flavor: mild-medium
    taste: very mild
    room note: indifferent/tolerable
    score: 2.75/4

Loose flake with a beautiful medium gold color. I am thinking a pure Virginia? Rather than spring loading, I rubbed this stuff out before packing. Extremely smooth with a slight bite on the finish. Burned very well, requiring only one relight throughout.

#2-
    strength: medium
    taste: mild-medium
    room note: tolerable to pleasant
    score: 3.25/4

Also a loose flake, but based on the spinginess and some circular pieces, it could have come from a roll/coil. I did not rub this one out based on it's density. This was slightly darker than #1 and had a very sweet pre-light aroma. It was not as sweet smoking, but still sweeter than #1 while at the same time- woodsy and dry. I really liked this. It reminds me of MacBaren's dark twist roll...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

oh,.. and who wants to try some pipe tobaccy?
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

1: Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake
    2: Stokkebye's Luxury Twist

#3-
    strength: medium
    flavor: medium
    taste: medium
    room note: tolerable
    score: 3.5/4

Best of the bunch so far, imho. I really liked the thick smoke and burning properties. The flavor was excellent. A nice blend of maybe Virginia, Cavendish and a touch of Latakia? Woodsy and comforting...

--Drive-By Truckers

#3 Cornell & Diehl Odessa

I'm working up my reviews on 3 and 4 now. I like to smoke a couple of half bowls of each.

#4-
    strength: mild-medium
    taste: medium
    room note: pleasant
    score: 2.75/4

I believe this is a Cavendish and Virginia blend. It is very colorful: full of golds, some red and black hues. Slightly sweet flavor with a creamy smoke that coats the entire mouth. This one had the best room note of the 4 so far according to the Mrs. A pleasant smoke, but somewhat uneventful, imo...

No takers yet, so I will ask again: WHO WANTS TO TRY SOME PIPE TOBACCO???

--Drive-By Truckers

#3 was a nice aromatic unfortunately I am not skilled enough to determine any individual flavors. To me it was a nice cavendish blend, like a really refined capt. black but I feel that doesn't do it justice.

#4 - I'm smoking my second bowl now. (wife's asleep, I'll handle this in the morning) To me this taste like that this is an.... not sure. kinda sweet but not sugar, more a natural sweet. No bite like a virginian. I like it, but not sure what it is.

My pipe noob - nis is coming through.

James - left my list at work and I don't want to call #4 the #5. I'll get back to you.

11. Default

#3 is CAO Cherrybomb. It's the best cherry flavored tobacco I've smoked.http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_...PHA=C&TID=3552

#4 is Frog Morton On The Bayou. I really like this blend. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_...PHA=F&TID=1788

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post

No takers yet, so I will ask again: WHO WANTS TO TRY SOME PIPE TOBACCO???
    In the interest of keeping this moving I'll take some...

#4 was hearth and home stogie.

http://pipesandcigars.com/ruouhobl.html

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    In the interest of keeping this moving I'll take some...
    Went out yesterday, Ken. DC# 9405 5036 9930 0451 1631 93

Here is my quick review of the last sample from Tyler:

#5-
    strength: mild
    flavor: mild
    taste: extremely mild
    room note: tolerable to pleasant
    score: 3.0/4

This one smells good enough to eat- sweet and creamy. Nice springy, semi-moist density with a beautiful chocolate brown color. I am not sure of the tobacco type, but this one smoked cool, sweet, and smooth....

--Drive-By Truckers

It's called Honey Gold at the tobacconist. I got it about a year and a half ago and liked it. I have a few ounces left but the shop is out of business and my other guy doesn't think it was the correct name. Probably Honey Cavendish. I'm going to do some more research.

16. Default

Got a nice haul of tobacco from James...I'll post a review or two ASAP.

17. Default

Sorry about the delay in getting my reviews posted...I've not smoked anything in two weeks. Between extremely cold snowy weather I've been extremely busy. I'll try to post a couple of reviews this weekend.

18. Default

OK...My first review. For the sake of not having any ghosting in the pipe I'm gonna use a MM Spool on my reviews.

Tobacco #1 sent by James...This tobacco came in narrow strips. The tobacco was dark brown with a few golden colored strips. It's a pretty nice looking flake. It has a sweet smell about it. It was a bit moist so I dried it out for about an hour before loading it up. A glass of ice water was my drink with the pipe.

I used the cannon ball method of loading my bowl. I gave it a charring light...Tamped a bit...And lit the bowl. I immediately got a sweet floral soapy taste. This remained through the entire bowl with a bit of spice. The room note was a bit sharp but pleasant. The bowl burned all the way down with no relight. The ash was black with a few white specks.

I'm guessing this is a Lakeland tobacco...Virginia with a bit of perique. Possibly SG or GH. I'd buy this tobacco in an instant. It's not the most complex tobacco but it is real nice.

I give it 90 out of 100.

By the way...Who wants a few pipe tobacco samples?

Great review, Ken! You nailed most of it. #1 is Samual Gawith Best Brown Flake - which I believe would automatically fall in the "Lakeland" bucket. A great straight Virginia. Good move letting it dry out a bit... ...I find a lot of the SG products moisture content to be a bit high initially. A good smooth smoke, imho...

--Drive-By Truckers

20. Default

Tobacco #2 again smoked in a MM Cob...This tobacco came in small dime sized coins. The tin note was sweet grass or hay. The coins were pretty dark with a few golden threads.

I rubbed the coins out just enough to break them up. They packed well and did not need a relight after the charring light. I did tamp the bowl a bit. Initially the taste was sweet. After a few puffs I could feel a tingle in my nose. The sweet taste continued along with a peppery finish. The strength built as the pipe got lower. The mouth feel of the smoke was creamy. The ash was black with no moisture in it at all.

I don't really have any idea what brand this is...I think its Virginia based with Cavendish and Perique in the mixture. It's a good solid smoke. I'd purchase this with no reservations.

I gave it 85 out of 100.

Thread Information