Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bourbons

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chè View Post
    Now there's one I haven't had in a looooong time. Seldom seen.
    I have not seen in a long time myself and the bonded JW DANT is my favorite bourbon of all time.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vintage69 View Post
    I have not seen in a long time myself and the bonded JW DANT is my favorite bourbon of all time.
    I think the brand name is still around and if I recall correctly, Heaven Hill is the current producer. It seems to mostly ...or perhaps exclusively, be sold in KY though. From what little I've heard it's described as barely a shell of the original / older stuff.

I've tried a few bourbons and whiskeys, but didn't like them. That is until I stumbled upon Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey.

Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

4. Default

I really enjoy Four Roses Special Reserve. I am usually drinking Scotch but once in a while I have some Bourbon. Knob Creek and Makers Mark never miss the spot either. Since I have been married, I haven't been drinking as much.
    Last edited by lgabrick; 09-27-2010 at 08:30 AM.

This thread is pretty old but, what the hell. I usually buy Jim Beam but occasionally get Maker's. Pretty basic compared to some of the brands I've seen on here. What can I say; I'm easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hed View Post
    This thread is pretty old but, what the hell. I usually buy Jim Beam but occasionally get Maker's. Pretty basic compared to some of the brands I've seen on here. What can I say; I'm easy.
    If I'm making a mixed drink, and it calls for bourbon, I like Maker's. It's only when I'm drinking bourbon neat that I'll reach for the more elusive stuff.

If the only purpose is to drink a lot of bourbon, then I like Jim Beam, too. I like it better than Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    If I'm making a mixed drink, and it calls for bourbon, I like Maker's. It's only when I'm drinking bourbon neat that I'll reach for the more elusive stuff.

If the only purpose is to drink a lot of bourbon, then I like Jim Beam, too. I like it better than Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort.
    WOW, I thought I was a loner with the Jim Beam. I used to drink Jack Daniels in my youth, but anymore it just tastes like I'm sucking on a charcoal briquette.

I keep intending to try some other brands, but when I'm in the store I end up reaching for the old reliables. I don't do mixed drinks anymore, just pour it over ice to cool it (and cuts the edge a bit by adding water from the melting ice).

I enjoy Makers 46. Much better than the original Makers Mark.

Default Re: Bourbons

Being in the middle of Bourbon Country I am surrounded by distilleries, but I have to say that I am a Markers fan. Used to go to the distillery every year for the Ambassadors Weekend.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    "Frankenstien never scared me. Marsupials do, because they’re fast." - Kevin Pollak as Christopher Walken

Blog Entries

I mean, I like Makers. I like Makers 46. But if I had $35-$40 to blow on a bottle of bourbon, it's not going to be on Makers. Too many other selections out there I like better. It's good for a 'house' blend with mixed drinks for guests, but not my first choice for sipping.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Bumping all the old threads...

Tonight, I'm sipping some knob creek while watching a movie with sick child #1

Very boozy and super woodsy. I don't know, I find it very sweet
    Last edited by badwhale; 01-29-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: ETA: Fixing my phone posting junk
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Enjoying some Jim Beam Devils Cut tonight.
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

What a VERY timely thread...

So the wifey and I have a new "hobby". We've found a bunch of real nice wineries in SW Michigan - so about once a month we take some time off and head over there to do tours. This last weekend we went to the Round Barn Winery tasting room and enjoyed a selection of their wines. Some awfully nice stuff!!! But - was told by their staff that we MUST visit the Journeyman Distilleries just a few miles away (Three Oaks, MI.) Momma and I headed there....

The distillery is within the 1850's era "Featherbone Factory". Long story short - a young man built a huge business making corsets and buggy whips from turkey feather bones. He was one of the richest men of his day. And - he was also a huge prohibitionist. Ironically - over 150 years later his original factory is now a distillery. We did the tour and sampled 180 proof bourbon straight out of the still (WOWZA!!! - thankfully the "matured" product is MUCH better).

After the tour we sampled each of the spirits they distill (Gin, Rum, Bourbon, Rye, Single Malt, Jalapeno Spirit, Coffee Spirit, etc.). All were equally incredible in their own right. We highly recommended the tour if you're in the area...

Blog Entries

I see tasting events etc. in my future!

From their website:

Journeyman Distillery Traveling Barrel Program allows you to purchase a new whiskey barrel with the option of decorating the barrel before it is filled. You will be informed when your spirit has reached maturity and may then return to Journeyman Distillery to pick up your barrel and included bottles. The included bottles will come from your personal barrel. Aging times are only estimates, and completion of aging is subject to our distillers discretion. Options begin at $199.

Pretty cool.
    Last edited by badwhale; 01-28-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    What a VERY timely thread...

After the tour we sampled each of the spirits they distill (Gin, Rum, Bourbon, Rye, Single Malt, Jalapeno Spirit, Coffee Spirit, etc.). All were equally incredible in their own right. We highly recommended the tour if you're in the area...
    Sounds like I'd need to bring a driver or maybe two!
    puro pot pass VI loser

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I see tasting events etc. in my future!

From their website:

Journeyman Distillery Traveling Barrel Program allows you to purchase a new whiskey barrel with the option of decorating the barrel before it is filled. You will be informed when your spirit has reached maturity and may then return to Journeyman Distillery to pick up your barrel and included bottles. The included bottles will come from your personal barrel. Aging times are only estimates, and completion of aging is subject to our distillers discretion. Options begin at $199.

Pretty cool.
    Damn, that is a pretty sweet deal.

So, George, did you sample enough of the Rye to describe in a little more detail?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Damn, that is a pretty sweet deal.

So, George, did you sample enough of the Rye to describe in a little more detail?
    I had a favorite Rye in Templeton's - but I think I now have a new favorite!

The problem with sampling so many spirits at one time is trying to remember what one of the spirits tasted like out of all of them.

I did, though, specifically recall their "aged" gin. It tasted like whisky gin - but theirs is not a regular gin - they use bilberries with the juniper berries. The unaged gin did not taste like any other gin I've had (a much more subtle flavor). Aging the gin in whisky barrels made it a very unique whiskey like spirit. It intrigued me - not what I was expecting. Like whisky - but with a very subtle gin taste...

Quote Originally Posted by illilli View Post
    Sounds like I'd need to bring a driver or maybe two!
    We made it home no problem - I covered my right eye and my wife covered her left eye. It reduced the numbers of things we were seeing making diving much easier...

Blog Entries

puro pot pass VI loser

Blog Entries

I got a bottle of Angels Evny after reading GG's thread. Mmmm mmmm!

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information