Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bourbons

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I got a bottle of Angels Evny after reading GG's thread. Mmmm mmmm!
    Yesterday Momma and I enjoyed an Opus X and a wee bit of Angels Envy (the bourbon aged in port barrels).

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Yesterday Momma and I enjoyed an Opus X and a wee bit of Angels Envy (the bourbon aged in port barrels).
    Angels Envy is amazing. A little pricey for me though. I usually stick to Beam Devils Cut. But when I have the extra $$ I buy AE.
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

3. Default

Im still diggin
    Heaven Hill 100 proof Gold label
    Knob Creek
    Johnny Drum
    Buffalo Trace
    Four Roses
    In no particular order
    The older I get ,the better I was

I'm going to add one I haven't seen on anybody's list.
    Oola is one of my all time favorite. It's hard to get but we'll worth the search.

Blog Entries

Enjoying a little Larceny tonight.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Anyone like Pappy VanWinkles?

I might be able to get a bottle......
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Anyone like Pappy VanWinkles?

I might be able to get a bottle......
    Haven't had a chance to try the "holy grail" yet.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Had a little Woodford Reserve tonight. Very good.

Uncle Tupelo

Been on the Basil Hayden kick here as of late.

Blog Entries

A dash of Buffalo Trace tonight to go with a RyJ Love Story after a long weekend.

Uncle Tupelo

11. Default

Got a bottle of Stagg Jr and a bottle of Elmer T Leein FL. I would like to find some pappy

Blog Entries

Having some Woodford Reserve tonight

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Got a bottle of Stagg Jr and a bottle of Elmer T Leein FL. I would like to find some pappy
    My buddy put himself on the lottery to get a bottle of Pappy. We'll see!

Uncle Tupelo

14. Default

I have spend considerable coin at this one place this year. I was talking to the mgr yesterday and I was basically told that SC gets about 3 cases for the whole state,SC gets about 1% of anything rare . He said he gets nice things sometimes but he is out but after Christmas I could look under the counter . LOL it keeps the bourbon posers from seeing it.

15. Default

Found 6 fifths and 2 1.75's of mid-late 80's Stitzel Weller produced Rebel Yell and late 80's Old Forrester in a shop in Bennetsville SC last week. Got some Rock Hill Farms and some more Stagg Jr in FL this weekend . Old Rebel Yell is sublime,smooth and sweet with no bite and fuck its hella good

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Found 6 fifths and 2 1.75's of mid-late 80's Stitzel Weller produced Rebel Yell and late 80's Old Forrester in a shop in Bennetsville SC last week. Got some Rock Hill Farms and some more Stagg Jr in FL this weekend . Old Rebel Yell is sublime,smooth and sweet with no bite and fuck its hella good
    nice!

Uncle Tupelo

I have discovered a local "jewel". Journeyman - A local distillery in Three Oaks, Michigan housed in an old Corset and Buggy Whip factory. T hey have a bourbon called "Featherbone" which is rich, sweet and smooth. It's not 100% bourbon (because they mix some wheat, rye and barley in the mash), but you would not know it. They balanced it well.

Blog Entries

We never got any Pappy at my store this year. From what I heard, there was less to go around this year than ever before.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

19. Default

I had a shot of pappy 15 yr old. Nothing to build a golden temple over but good bourbon.

Blog Entries

I've been drinking quite a few different bourbons lately and I also like rye as well. I drink them neat, no ice and no mixers.

Rye:

Old Overholt: An inexpensive "mixing" rye that isn't bad straight up, 86 proof, ~$15.00.
    Rittenhouse: Another mixing rye that is very good straight up, 100 proof. From Heaven Hill Distilleries ~20.00.

Bourbon:

Blanton's: Pretty darn good bourbon from Buffalo Trace, two thumbs up, ~$45.00. Tough to get, it's "highly allocated" at my local liquor store meaning that it's kept in hiding for the "good" customers.

Two Stars: A Total Wine product also distilled at the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Buffalo Trace Distillery is where the famous Pappy Van Winkles is made which is supposedly the holy grail of bourbon. Two Stars isn't bad, it's a "value" bourbon for about $20.00 that is pretty good but a little thin for me, it's 86 proof

Old Grand Dad "Bottled in Bond" 100 proof bourbon. Wow, for something that's supposedly a cheap, mixing bourbon I think this is the best value I've come across. I really like this stuff. My father used to drink it long, long ago and I found two bottles he bought over 30 years ago buried in the cabinet under the bar. They're both gone now and I really enjoyed them.

McKenna single barrel, Bottled in Bond, 100 proof bourbon. Supposedly a step up from Old Grand Dad and yes it's smoother but not as much caramel taste as Old Grand Dad. I find it smoother than the Old Grand Dad which is a plus for the McKenna. I think I paid in the low $20.00 range for it. This is also from Heaven Hill Distilleries and an excellent value. To me, it's on the level of a Blantons for half the price.

Pappy Van Winkle 12 year old, 90 proof. Yes, I'm lucky enough to have gotten my hands on this and yes, it's freakin' fantastic but the MSRP is $95.00. Is it five times better than Rittenhouse Rye and Old Grand Dad? I don't think so BUT it's a nice bottle to have on hand for a treat once every other month or so. I use the same strategy with my high-end bottles of scotch, save them to savor on special occasions. My nicest bottle of scotch is Ardbeg Lord of the Isles which cost me about $285.00 ten or so years ago and if you could find one now, it would run over $1,500.00. I still have about a third of it left and only treat myself to a glass of it every other year or so, usually on a holiday. Anyway, back to the Pappy's yes it is incredibly good and if I ever secure another bottle of it, I might drink it more than once every other month but for now, I'm saving it for when my bourbon palate is better developed.

Gentleman Jack: I had this a long time ago and remember liking it.

Woodford Reserve: Had this one a long time ago too and liked it more than the Gentleman Jack.

Maker's Mark: I think it's overpriced and over rated. I found it harsh and not to my liking. I've heard the Makers 46 is better so I'll give that one a try in the future.

I had a Knob Creek earlier this evening, nothing special, better than the Maker's Mark but I won't run out and buy it.

Bottom line is the Two Stars is an excellent value and not too harsh but if you're looking for a value with a little more oomph, then Old Grand Dad 100 is the go to.

A step up from the Two Stars is the McKenna 100 proof, Blantons is nice but pricey.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 08-23-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information