Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P.A.D.

Blog Entries

Nice!

A little elbow grease and those can be brought back to very nice looking, sweet smoking pipes, Will.

I've purchased a couple lots of estate pipes from ebay recently, I have so far about 80% of them that are back to smokeable status.

The bits can be cleaned by soaking them in 50-50 bleach water solution for about 15 minutes, then rinse really well. Turtle wax rubbing compound and/or polishing compound works great, I did all mine by hand, but a low RPM bench buffer would be ideal.

Cleaning out the bowls is a bit more involved, maybe google "salt alcohol pipe treatment".
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpollock View Post
    come on guys i need more info. do you buy estate or new? i would love to hear more
    I buy both estate and new. Most of my pipes are new but certain lines like Dunhill, Castello, etc...are beyond my means so if one comes up on ebay I will bid for it. I will also buy estates from my favorite carver, as he has an annual pipe that comes out and I'm trying to get the older ones for the complete set. Unless you are good at cleaning out old pipes I would suggest buying a new one. It'll take a bit of work to properly break it in but at least you'll know its clean and actually in good shape.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Blog Entries

I'd really like to get into this one day, just not today.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

James what kind of selection does the Tinder box have at the store in Murry? or is there a better place in SLC to buy from ?
    Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

James what kind of selection does the Tinder box have at the store in Murry? or is there a better place in SLC to buy from ?
    Dustin
    The Tinder Box has a nice selection, but kind of pricey, Dustin. I usually buy online. Shoot me your address again, and I will send you some samples of good pipe tobacco after the holidays. Go find yourself a couple inexpensive cob pipes. I recommend these for dabbling, experimenting, and getting started out. If you enjoy smoking pipes and settle on some favorite tobacco or blends, then it would be time to invest. There are a lot of nice new pipes to be had out there for between $50 and $100 such as Stanwell. Then the sky is the limit!
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    The Tinder Box has a nice selection, but kind of pricey, Dustin. I usually buy online. Shoot me your address again, and I will send you some samples of good pipe tobacco after the holidays. Go find yourself a couple inexpensive cob pipes. I recommend these for dabbling, experimenting, and getting started out. If you enjoy smoking pipes and settle on some favorite tobacco or blends, then it would be time to invest. There are a lot of nice new pipes to be had out there for between $50 and $100 such as Stanwell. Then the sky is the limit!
    X2 - Just take the filters out if your pick up the filtered lines and smoke em; like a normal pipe. Very easy break in too for a cob. I like the country gentleman shape as its is pretty decent sized bowl
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Here ya' go: adds up to just less that $2 per pipe. These are also nice to smoke outside/in the shop and whatnot, so if you drop one, you are not out much. Not sure why they include screens with em'. You won't need those unless you are smoking a different leafy substance...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-Corn-cob...item29fff90e9f
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Thanks James i just picked them up

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

As and artist and now a cigar smoker, I have often thought that making a pipe, a porcelain one, would be very fun. I would like to try to make one to see how it would perform. I could use one to pipe the nubs on the cigars I really enjoy. Have to admit making one would be a very interesting experience.
    Just another day at the office!

Thanks James i just picked them up
    As did I. Thanks James!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish79 View Post
    As did I. Thanks James!
    Dan,

Send me your addy again too!

--Drive-By Truckers

PM Sent James.

Dustin - If you're interested in getting different styles of pipes, email the seller. He'll let you mix and match the six pipes, but #4 is sold out.

Blog Entries

Most of my collection... so far!

Most of these were estate pipes that took a bit of elbow grease to get them into smokeable condition.

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

... a few of my favorites!

Royal Danish, (Stanwell "second") ~ Zulu

Aldo Velani ~ Dublin

ROPP Cherrywood

Kirsten ~ Cob Bowl

Yello-Bole ~ Featherweight Airograte

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

15. Default

You've got a beautiful collection there! Is there a face carved into the top left?
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

Blog Entries

I got another pipe today....in the mail from FedEx.....via Beaufort, SC....

Thanks Dennis! So cool, and all the samples! I'll have to fire this bad boy up tonight. I think I can find a lighter here somewhere.

Thanks bro,
    Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I have been smoking pipes more often lately also.
    My Nording Un-finished freehand

I am purchasing two pipes this weekend.
    I am replacing a Bjarne that I destroyed in an unfortunate accident with this one. It is the same pipe with a black instead of yellow/amber tip.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/lpgm...&item=bjafsp12

I am also buying a Peterson Rosslare Freehand B11.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/lpgm...tem=petroscb11

I am very sad over my Bjarne (which you can see here) trajedy. It will be replaced, however, these are one of a kind pipes but it will be very very close to the same pipe.

and

I have been saving lots of cash lately smoking my pipes and hitting only about two or three cigars a day.
    I have been enjoying getting back to my pipes very much.
    Last edited by EdgeMan; 12-30-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Got my Calabash Gourd today.. A little bit of buffing and she smokes like a dream.

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

That's a really nice collection bigwhiteash.
    I got my pipe probably 3 years ago from goantiques.com. It was an unused estate pipe and I paid $30 for it. The only markings on it are "Hand made custom carved genuine briar" "Italy". She smokes a little harsh, but I am overall happy with it. Next pipe I pick up will have a curved stem though.

Thread Information