Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premium Rums

1. Default Premium Rums

Been off on a rum kick the last couple of weeks. Went through the other thread which was slightly dated -- so I'm kind of curious what are folks' current top picks?

Right now, we're liking the Zaya rum. A little pricey here at $40 but really tasty.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Right now, we're liking the Zaya rum. A little pricey here at $40 but really tasty.
    Is this the newer Angostura related Zaya (Trinidad) or the discontinued Zacapa related (Guatemalan)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chè View Post
    Is this the newer Angostura related Zaya (Trinidad) or the discontinued Zacapa related (Guatemalan)?
    Zaya Gran Reserva 12yo Trinidad. Tastes like a Creme Brulee.

Blog Entries

Che, where they hell you been for the past five years?

Welcome back!

I like Havana Club but I'm not really much into premium rums.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

6. Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Zaya Gran Reserva 12yo Trinidad. Tastes like a Creme Brulee.
    You might want to give the Angostura line a try. This version of Zaya is a blend of their rums.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Che, where they hell you been for the past five years?
    Trying on dresses and stuck in line at "Forever 41".

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I like Havana Club but I'm not really much into premium rums.
    I know exactly what you mean. I like Ferraris but I'm not really much into fast cars. LOL
    Last edited by Chè; 08-16-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Aside from the no-brainer "Z" rums (I agree, Che - the Guatemalan Zacapa was much better than the Zaya Trinidad) and Havana Club, I like Appleton Estate Extra – 12 Year Old

I've not had the 21 yr old, but have heard good things. Unfortunately I'm more of a Anejo Tequila and Scotch fan so I typically invest my $$$ there.

Also - I know it sounds crazy - but at one time I really enjoyed Bicardi Solara. Smooth - pleasant. I don't know what they did, but the newer stuff tastes to me like varnish remover...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Aside from the no-brainer "Z" rums (I agree, Che - the Guatemalan Zacapa was much better than the Zaya Trinidad)
    Maybe I created a mix up with Zacapa... but just to be clear, prior to a couple of years ago, ILdG simultaneously produced both Zacapa and Zaya. They were siblings. Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala also produces Ron Botran, which the "1893" is pretty damn good sibling too.

Zaya was a private brand of rum bought from the distillery. BTW, Montecristo rum was also private bought / bottled rum from the same source. From what I hear, Montecristo is no longer ILdG product as well -- but before getting the boot the bottler secured a supply that would allow the brand to remain the same origin for awhile. Zaya on the other hand quickly switched to bottling private bought Angostura rum and only changed the origin on the bottle label to product of "Trinidad"

Unfortunately I'm more of a Anejo Tequila and Scotch fan so I typically invest my $$$ there.
    Nothing unfortunate about that. My tequila experience is more moderate than other spirits. But hopefully we'll get to a Scotch discussion sometime soon as I definitely dabble in malts too.

Being an anejo tequila fan, if you come across Depaz Blue Cane Rhum, you might try a shot. A lot of the better refined rhum agricoles have characteristics similar to aged tequila. Depaz has decent US distribution and representation but the number / variety of agricoles that come ashore stateside is pretty limited.

10. Default

Also - I know it sounds crazy - but at one time I really enjoyed Bicardi Solara. Smooth - pleasant. I don't know what they did, but the newer stuff tastes to me like varnish remover...
    Yeah. This use to be "the Cuban substitute". I still have a bottle left from 2001. And you're right, I tasted some recent production about a year back...

Maybe I created a mix up with Zacapa... but just to be clear, prior to a couple of years ago, ILdG simultaneously produced both Zacapa and Zaya. They were siblings. Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala also produces Ron Botran, which the "1893" is pretty damn good sibling too.

Zaya was a private brand of rum bought from the distillery. BTW, Montecristo rum was also private bought / bottled rum from the same source. From what I hear, Montecristo is no longer ILdG product as well -- but before getting the boot the bottler secured a supply that would allow the brand to remain the same origin for awhile. Zaya on the other hand quickly switched to bottling private bought Angostura rum and only changed the origin on the bottle label to product of "Trinidad"
    I knew there was a connection between Zaya and Zacapa, but never knew they were that close. I like both (in earlier versions) equally well. Now it makes sense the difference I'm experiencing. Thanks for the info!

Recently, while in Las Vegas, I had a chance to sit down at Casa Fuente with a cigar and a wee bit of the Montecristo Rum. Nearly forgot about that - which is odd, because at the time I thought it was unforgettable. Momma joined me, and even remarked that she thought it was one of the more memorable parts of our trip! Good stuff as well!

Ah... The hells of getting older.

BTW - momma gave me a gift of Dalmore King Alexander III for Christmas. ...and just about finished my bottle of Dailuaine 15 yr old that I got for Christmas from another friend (good hooch!). I've not opened the King Alexander... yet... Some of the samples I've have made me increasingly anxious to crack it open...
    Last edited by ggiese; 08-17-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Blog Entries

I have really enjoyed the captain morgan private stock i got recently.

13. Default

Recently, while in Las Vegas, I had a chance to sit down at Casa Fuente with a cigar and a wee bit of the Montecristo Rum. Nearly forgot about that - which is odd, because at the time I thought it was unforgettable. Momma joined me, and even remarked that she thought it was one of the more memorable parts of our trip! Good stuff as well!
    I'm not sure of the complete accuracy however I tend to believe there was some truth in it, but my understanding was the Fuente family either were the owners of or had a hefty stake in Montecristo Rum brand. As a result, the Casa in Vegas had a selection of malts, but the rum served was exclusively Montecristo.

BTW - momma gave me a gift of Dalmore King Alexander III for Christmas. ...and just about finished my bottle of Dailuaine 15 yr old that I got for Christmas from another friend (good hooch!). I've not opened the King Alexander... yet... Some of the samples I've have made me increasingly anxious to crack it open...
    Nice! I have not had the King, myself. For many years the outfit Trader Joe's sold Dalmore 12 year old for $19.99 around here. In the last year or so it appears they stopped carrying it. Anyhoo, due to that absurd price, I'm very familiar with the 12 but really as a consumer didn't branch out on the brand much (with that price, I wasn't going 'nowhere').

The 3 other iterations I've tasted were the Cigar Malt (quite a few times) and I was lucky to taste 2 different releases of the "Stillman's Dram" I think was the correct title of these... 28 & 30 years old respectively. I don't focus on age and make a conscious point to rule it out of my interest, but I have to say the 30 Stillman's Dram was the Shhhh! I hear the Alexander The III is very.

I was at my local NH liquor store and they had 4 bottles of the zacapa 23 yr Guatemalan. Had not idea it was discontinued. Looks like I should pick some up.

Edit - funny, I checked the state inventory and it shows only three bottles in the state and not at the store I was at. Looks like I really need to pick some up tomorrow.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 08-18-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: new info

15. Default

Zacapa was NOT discontinued. No stampede necessary.

The private brand "Zaya" lost it's source which was the same distillery (as Zacapa) but a different blend. Zacapa continues to be produced. Zaya the brand continued but the source of the rum is no longer Guatemalan nor related to Zacapa.

Does NH = New Hampshire? If so, you guys have some nice prices on certain liquors. That said, talking Zacapa, Shopper's Vineyard in NJ (quiet as it's kept lol) regularly sells Zacapa X.O. for $59.99. If you look around, that's a steal!

16. Default

Today I had a couple of small pours of this rum (hopefully the picture works).

Ron Botran 1893 is also a rum in the "Zacapa" family. Less sweet + a tad drier than Zacapa 23 & the now retired Guatemalan Zaya, allegedly in the 18 year old range.

Of the three mentioned names, I think this one comes closest or reminds me the most of a good malt, with some evident barrel char & a slight smokiness. Big thumbs up!

17. Default

Back in the saddle, just went through a measure of this retired classic. Still love this stuff when ever I desire a heavier, sweeter pour.

18. Default

Opened this up earlier today. Good stuff. Less attitude than their 12 year old, still a very nice sipping rum!

19. Default

Since winter moved in, haven't been on the rum much (mostly whiskeys and brews lately). Since I poured a couple of shots just over an hr ago figured I come rant about it. Excellent. Not overpriced either. Enjoyed with a Montecristo No.4.

I have had Plantaion a few times. I little too sweet for my taste.
    I tend to like Dominican & Hatian rum's. Barbancourt is my favorite.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information