Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Shelf Bourbon

Default Top Shelf Bourbon

I am on a spiritual quest to find high quality bourbons. I have tried many brands and among my favorites are Blanton's, Booker's, Woodford Reserve, and Maker's Mark (in that order). I find few things compliment a fine cigar more than a glass of straight bourbon, neat.

Blanton's is the smoothest bourbon I have tried. It's my current favorite. Booker's is a good, flaborful small batch bourbon, but it's a little hot at 126 proof. Woodford Reserve was my favorite until I discovered Blanton's. The difference is night and day... Maker's Mark is good for mixing.

My question is this: Has anyone tried Blanton's? If you have tried Blanton's, have you found anything you like better?
    "Differences can be resolved in ways that are fair to all, but reason must prevail over passion if there is to be a climate conducive to the settlement of disagreements."
    Ronald Reagan in a speech given to the Supreme Soviet, September 17, 1990

Quote Originally Posted by SideWinder View Post
    I am on a spiritual quest to find high quality bourbons. I have tried many brands and among my favorites are Blanton's, Booker's, Woodford Reserve, and Maker's Mark (in that order). I find few things compliment a fine cigar more than a glass of straight bourbon, neat.

Blanton's is the smoothest bourbon I have tried. It's my current favorite. Booker's is a good, flaborful small batch bourbon, but it's a little hot at 126 proof. Woodford Reserve was my favorite until I discovered Blanton's. The difference is night and day... Maker's Mark is good for mixing.

My question is this: Has anyone tried Blanton's? If you have tried Blanton's, have you found anything you like better?
    Have you tried Buffalo Trace?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Default Try

Try Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    GO AHEAD PUNK MAKE MY DAY

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    Have you tried Buffalo Trace?

No, I haven't. I just read a bit of their website though and think I'm going to have to try to find a bottle! Have you tried it?
    "Differences can be resolved in ways that are fair to all, but reason must prevail over passion if there is to be a climate conducive to the settlement of disagreements."

5. Default

Knob Creek is what I usually buy if I buy bourbon. It's probably the best buy for the money. Buffalo Trace is pretty good.

If you ever go on a spiritual quest for rum...I can help more.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    If you ever go on a spiritual quest for rum...I can help more.
    Lets hear it sarge! I've been a bourbon drinker my entire life (well, since I started drinking ) but recently started drinking a lot more rum.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cale View Post
    Lets hear it sarge! I've been a bourbon drinker my entire life (well, since I started drinking ) but recently started drinking a lot more rum.

Good top shelf rum has a flavor that kicks bourbon's ass every time. A dram of Ron Z or Zaya neat goes very well with a cigar. The sweetness brings the flavor of a cigar to it's max.

Blog Entries

I'll second that Zaya recommendation. It's great stuff. I keep a bottle on the counter and a bottle tucked away at all times.

Make sure you sip it straight. If you add anything to this rum make sure it's just ice.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Good top shelf rum has a flavor that kicks bourbon's ass every time. A dram of Ron Z or Zaya neat goes very well with a cigar. The sweetness brings the flavor of a cigar to it's max.
    With an endorsement like that, I can't help but want to try a glass or two! I'll keep both those brands in mind for my next trip to the cigar bar. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm not a big fan of Knob Creek though. Blanton's is a much smoother drink.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    I'll second that Zaya recommendation. It's great stuff. I keep a bottle on the counter and a bottle tucked away at all times.

Make sure you sip it straight. If you add anything to this rum make sure it's just ice.

I will appreciate it for it's own merits. Is there a particular cigar that it compliments very well?

11. Default

I will appreciate it for it's own merits. Is there a particular cigar that it compliments very well?

Maybe a Padron 64 or 26. An Anejo would go well with it too.

My favorite drink is bourbon even though I have not had any in months (on the wagon). Steve, try the Evan Williams Single Barrel- if you have not already...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

No, I haven't. I just read a bit of their website though and think I'm going to have to try to find a bottle! Have you tried it?
    I had some in college, but not since. However, the bourbon bar in town raves about it.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Went to the liquor store by my office. They have about 25 different brands of higher end bourbon, but no Buffalo Trace. I did pick up a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel as SLCRaiders suggested.

15. Default

I've been hooked on Woodford Reserve for about a year. Before that it was Knob Creek.

Bookers, Bakers and Basil Haydens don't compare to Woodford in my opinion.

I'll have to give Blantons a try.

Went to the liquor store by my office. They have about 25 different brands of higher end bourbon, but no Buffalo Trace. I did pick up a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel as SLCRaiders suggested.
    Keep looking for the Buffalo Trace. I picked up a handle a couple of weeks ago. I plan on breaking it out on New Year's eve. Blanton's is apparently made by the Buffalo Trace Distillery so you should be able to get it. Here's a link to the website. They have a search function for retail locations. http://www.buffalotrace.com/home2.html

I've not tried Buffalo Trace (I don't think my local shop has it) but if they do I'll grab a bottle. I like the usual suspects myself too, maker's, knob creek, etc.

Usually when I'm smoking cigars I'll have a jack and coke. I personally like Ridgemont Reserve also, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it during the thread:

http://www.bartonbrands.com/1792.html

I'm wanting to try the Havana Club Rum, but it's a little hard to find here in America and all.

I tried the Evan Williams Single Barrel, as SLC suggested a few posts back and it is very smooth. It went well with the J.L. Salazar Reserva Espesial Toro. This bourbon is now in second place in my book, right behind Blanton's.

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    Keep looking for the Buffalo Trace. I picked up a handle a couple of weeks ago. I plan on breaking it out on New Year's eve. Blanton's is apparently made by the Buffalo Trace Distillery so you should be able to get it. Here's a link to the website. They have a search function for retail locations. http://www.buffalotrace.com/home2.html
    Thanks WOXOF! I did a search by zip code and there are two stores not far from my house and four stores close to my office that carry Buffalo Trace. I appreciate the heads up!

Steve

Default Noob votes for Buffalo Trace

FWIW, Buffalo Trace is my favorite. My understanding from touring the distillery a few years ago while in Frankfort on other business is that they are going to slowly roll it out across the country as more and more of their stock is ready to come out of the barrels and head into stores. That may explain why it's hard to find. We've got it here in Virginia and, I imagine, you can get it at least around the South.

Now that I think about it, this might be the perfect afternoon to go home early and have a little, with a good cigar of course...

Thread Information