Thread: Humidor Seasoning

Default Humidor Seasoning

I bought a 5 Vegas combo humidor sampler from ci recently to begin my first permanent humidor. I started seasoning the 100 ct. box last Friday morning, wiped it down with a sponge soaked in 50/50, then left the soaked sponge in the bottom on a bag all weekend.

This Monday morning the sponge was still pretty saturated (thought that was strange). I removed it and loaded the 30 cigars in. Right now I'm calibrating a digital hygrometer but the crappy one that came with it says that the RH is only 49% currently. I have a 4oz humi-care jar in it currently and that's it. From what I've read here the board highly recommends the heartfelt beads. I do plan on getting some.

Am I on the right track? Will the RH steadily come up or do I need to add to what I'm doing with the jar? I could add the sponge humidifier that came with the humidor I suppose. Any other things you all recommend?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kn1v3s0ut View Post
    I bought a 5 Vegas combo humidor sampler from ci recently to begin my first permanent humidor. I started seasoning the 100 ct. box last Friday morning, wiped it down with a sponge soaked in 50/50, then left the soaked sponge in the bottom on a bag all weekend.

This Monday morning the sponge was still pretty saturated (thought that was strange). I removed it and loaded the 30 cigars in. Right now I'm calibrating a digital hygrometer but the crappy one that came with it says that the RH is only 49% currently. I have a 4oz humi-care jar in it currently and that's it. From what I've read here the board highly recommends the heartfelt beads. I do plan on getting some.

Am I on the right track? Will the RH steadily come up or do I need to add to what I'm doing with the jar? I could add the sponge humidifier that came with the humidor I suppose. Any other things you all recommend?

Thanks!
    Sounds like you're on the right track. After calibration, see what the digital says. Beads are a good idea, and give it some time to see where your smokes are adjusting too (i.e. keep smoking them to see how they're running)

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

3. Default

Don't make any assumptions about your humidor until you calibrate your hygrometer. You should have done this first.
    Get beads and save yourself a lot of aggravation. PG is ancient and inferior technology.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

I assume the 50/50 is a PG and distilled water mixture.....it would have been better to wipe the walls of the humi with plain ole distilled h20.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I assume the 50/50 is a PG and distilled water mixture.....it would have been better to wipe the walls of the humi with plain ole distilled h20.
    Yes PG. Whoops.

Blog Entries

I have the exact same humidor, its a nice looking piece. I have a small box of beads in it and it keeps 65 consistently. As for the hygrometer that comes with it, I checked it vs my calibrated digital, not even close.

Agree with you there. I got the calibrated digital hygrometer in there yesterday afternoon, checked it this morning, and it was sitting at 69 / 72 RH. That's 23% off from the crappy hygro that came with it.

Will I have a problem with the RH being 72? Seems a little high. Should I do anything else right now or just let it ride?

Thank you all.

Blog Entries

Will I have a problem with the RH being 72? Seems a little high. Should I do anything else right now or just let it ride?

Thank you all.
    It's a little on the high side, but I don't think you're in danger of a science experiment. Smoke them, and see how they burn. If you have a real tight draw, or you get a lot of wrapper cracking, you're probably running too moist.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Let it ride for awhile while you do the test smoking whale suggested. Keep in mind that you want consistency and slooooow changes to your rh.

Got it. Will be smoking a lot over the next four or five days so they will be put to the test.

I would think they are reabsorbing what was lost in shipping?

What can be done if I determine they are too wet? Until I receive the beads I ordered, it's either humi-care jar or no humi-care jar.

I had the Humi-Care jar in mine, and could not get it to go down, so I took it out, and the RH steadied out...only for a short period of time, I ordered the beads, and haven't had a problem yet.

Maybe try and put a piece of plastic wrap over the humi-care jar, and poke one or two holes in it till the beads come in.

Blog Entries

Got it. Will be smoking a lot over the next four or five days so they will be put to the test.

I would think they are reabsorbing what was lost in shipping?

What can be done if I determine they are too wet? Until I receive the beads I ordered, it's either humi-care jar or no humi-care jar.
    Dry-box the cigar you want to smoke for a day or so before you smoke it if you think they are too moist, or are smoking poorly.

I ordered the 70% beads, thinking maybe I should have done 65% now.

Smoked quite a few cigars this weekend from the new humidor. Even at 73% or 74% RH they did fine. I am thinking once I get the heartfelt 70% tube going (just dropped it in a few minutes ago) the sticks will do great.

I added a syringe full of distilled water to the tube, and to be honest, I don't get the whole clear/white color difference. It looks the same to me. The tube seemed to fill up and there was no or very little rattle left to the contents so I assume the beads inside now are hydrated.

Does all that sound good to you all? Or do I need to do something different?

Thread Information