Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Distributor Business

Quote Originally Posted by wyattearp View Post
    All of the advice has been appreciated so far and yes this is a hobby of mine. I'm a firm believer that you can start something as a hobby and grow it into a successful business. When the time comes where it becomes more than just a hobby I would take the necessary steps to expand and accomodate the demand by creating more overhead if it makes business sense (profit margin growth).

I understand Rome wasn't built in a day and it takes time, superb customer service, and demand to grow anything. I'm comfortable with that.

I don't think you need " Hundreds of thousands" of dollars to build your hobby from the start if your strategy is solid.
    Geez... I hate to rain on your parade, wyatt...

You ask the members of this community - sight unseen - for advice with licensing, etc. This would seem to indicate that you don't know what you should be doing with licensing, etc. You want to eventually develop a "Thompson" sized business, yet you are intent to do it starting from your basement? Aside from you seeking business advice from a cigar board - what have you done to develop your overall business plan?

I don't know what the specific stats are (I'm sure they're out there somewhere) - but I can tell you from personal observations and experience that what you're planning on doing is far more likely to fail than succeed. As a matter of fact - I'd suggest the failure rate is well in the high 90% range. It sounds as though you're already getting way over your head - and you haven't even started up the business.

I wonder if Young Forbes still stops by. Perhaps he can set you on the right path to financial success.
    Last edited by ggiese; 12-08-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Here's an interesting tid-bit for ya wyatt.....know where I got my stash of "real" cigars started?

From a bankruptcy auction.

3. Default Re:

Bankruptcy Auction? Can you elaborate on that?

Thanks
    "Enjoy your Smoke"

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wyattearp View Post
    Bankruptcy Auction? Can you elaborate on that?

Thanks
    Sure, a local cigar merchant went bankrupt and I bought a shitload of cigars very reasonably at the auction. Too bad for me I had only been smoking real cigars for a month or two when it happened. Shitty cigars soaked in charcoal fluid make great kindling for the wood stove though.

5. Default Re:

I think over time if you stay steady with a business strategy and open to advice/feedback, options and opportunity you can grow a small business, especially if it's an online business.

Other online Distributors that we all order from didn't become successful overnight. It takes time, patience, strategy, solid business plan with projections, and negative feedback to motivate you.

Capital is a huge obstacle in the start of any business.
    "Enjoy your Smoke"

Mike

6. Default Licensing

Does anyone know the source to find information on licensing and distribution of online sales (cigars - tobacco) in other states? For example, if I obtain my tobacco and distribution license in the state of California where my business license is and somebody in Nevada, Arizona or another state orders from my site a "Sampler" pack or box of cigars to be delivered to them, do I have to have another tobacco and distribution license in that state since I'm selling to a customer in that state?
    "Enjoy your Smoke"

Mike

Blog Entries

I think that is covered in Article I , Section 8 , Clause 3 of the United States Constitution, but I'm a Canadian, so YMMV.

Thread Information