Thread: 70% Beads

Default 70% Beads

I have a tube for my humidor, bought the recommended size tube for my humidor (100 count), and I cannot get the RH up to 70%. I run around 62-63% RH and 73-75 degrees.

The smokes seem fine but is this a problem long term? Anyone else dealing with this?

2. Default

No. Relax. I keep mine between 62 and 65 percent. I like it there. This is a tough time of year, if you're able to keep your humidity in the 60's, you'll be fine. Your temp. is a little high, though.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by kn1v3s0ut View Post
    I have a tube for my humidor, bought the recommended size tube for my humidor (100 count), and I cannot get the RH up to 70%. I run around 62-63% RH and 73-75 degrees.

The smokes seem fine but is this a problem long term? Anyone else dealing with this?
    Listen to the Doc !
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kn1v3s0ut View Post

How confident are you in the accuracy of your hygrometer?
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Pretty confident. It's digital and I calibrated it with a 75% humidity pack. I have the humidor upstairs at work and it's just warmer up here year round. What are the dangers of having too high of a temp? I am going to try and find a good spot for it downstairs.

My brother had a similar problem -- he used the recommended amount of beads for the size of his humi, and they couldn't keep him at/near 65%. I gave him a tube from my humi and that solved the problem -- I think he figured he was now running at 150% of the recommended amount. I personally run at about 250% the recommended amount because I don't like fluctuations or having to check and adjust constantly.

I wouldn't worry too much about the RH there - mine fluctuates from 63-68 this time of year where I live (in HOT central TX).

I agree - 75 is a little too warm for the cigars...I'd go for 72 at the top end - anything higher than that you might want to start thinking about a wine fridge conversion.

Now, that said. During the summer months, my sticks stay around 71-72 (drops down to a comfy 67-68 during the non-summer months) and I've never had any issues. If you are going for long term storage then you want them to stay a little cooler to age, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with 71-72 degrees, IMHO. I've been smoking cigars out of my end-table humi for several years now and haven't had any problems.

Waking the Dead
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Waking the Dead
    Yep. I still think it's better than starting a new thread, in newblet Rh panic subjects like this.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Yep. I still think it's better than starting a new thread, in newblet Rh panic subjects like this.

Will
    I agree with you. Sometimes the overwhelming desire to be a shit-heel get the better of me.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I agree with you. Sometimes the overwhelming desire to be a shit-heel get the better of me.
    ain't you bro.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    ain't you bro.
    Hey, Aren't you up past your bedtime?
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by choinga View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the RH there - mine fluctuates from 63-68 this time of year where I live (in HOT central TX).

I agree - 75 is a little too warm for the cigars...I'd go for 72 at the top end - anything higher than that you might want to start thinking about a wine fridge conversion.

Now, that said. During the summer months, my sticks stay around 71-72 (drops down to a comfy 67-68 during the non-summer months) and I've never had any issues. If you are going for long term storage then you want them to stay a little cooler to age, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with 71-72 degrees, IMHO. I've been smoking cigars out of my end-table humi for several years now and haven't had any problems.
    Hmmmm, aren't we in the "summer months" right now in the northern hemisphere chunga?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information