Thread: Place of digital hygro in glasstop humi

Default Placement of digital hygro in glasstop humi

The title just about sums it up!

I had pretty much decided on a non-glass top humi, since I could install a digital hygrometer to the inside of the lid without taking up too much space, but found a great deal on a 100ct. glass top humidor. As I was considering it, the question came up:

Where do you place a digital hygro in a glass-top humidor?

I would think it would take up valuable space if it weren't on the inside of the lid, but I could be way off base here.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by b.read; 02-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Blog Entries

on your cigars. The RH anywhere else is irrelevant, and, if there is no fan, then the RH will vary throughout the box (usually).

Blog Entries

I use this one, which fits nicely in between the cigars (only takes up one cigar spot) - you just have to be careful not to pull it out and then light it up on accident...

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Buzz, I like the idea of that hygro...thanks for posting!

Do you have a link you can post? Curious to read up on it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by b.read View Post
    Buzz, I like the idea of that hygro...thanks for posting!

Do you have a link you can post? Curious to read up on it...
    Oh man, I haven't posted a link like this in a while...

http://tinyurl.com/6c7gyq4

- I couldn't resist.

-Buzz

I hadn't seen one of those in awhile! I deserved that'n haha

Blog Entries

Blast from the past: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...-memory-option

I ended up getting the Little Havana and it has been great - I really like it's memory feature for max and min values, that way during the summer here in AZ I can check what the max temp got to and decide if I need to move the humi to a cooler spot of the house.

-Buzz

Those are a good choice. Besides, glass tops just offer another point of failure. They can leak.

That's a good point...

Just when I had decided on a solid top, I saw the glass top on cigarmonster and it really would've been an impulse buy.

After reading up on it some more, I think I've decided to get a solid top/no external hygro and add a digital hygrometer.

Thanks for the help ya'll!

Blog Entries

My humi has a glass door. Yeah, it leaked some, until I ran a really really thin bead of silicone around the edge. You can't see it, unless I pointed it out. Sealed it right up.

Well, I should say my buddy who runs a lot of seam sealer at body shops ran the bead for me.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Well, in THAT case- I'm sure it's not noticeable!

Now, if I were to do it to one

It'd look like hell

Blog Entries

One of my humi's has a glass top. Seems to work just fine. I can't check the hygro since I don't use one, but the beads look fine and my cigars smoke well. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Blast from the past: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...-memory-option

I ended up getting the Little Havana and it has been great - I really like it's memory feature for max and min values, that way during the summer here in AZ I can check what the max temp got to and decide if I need to move the humi to a cooler spot of the house.

-Buzz
    My wife got me a 500 count humi for x'mas with glass on the top and the front. It seems to seal very well and hold it's humidity quite well. I bought a couple of the Caliber III hygro's to go in it (one on the top, one on the bottom) and I'm quite happy with them and the glass allows me to peek in and check the humidity level without opening the humi.

I do however plan on buying a hygro like your Little Havana to use in the 30 count travel humi she got me for x'mas too. Now that I know you like it so much, I'm definitely ordering one before summer rolls around and I need to use the travel humi when we go camping.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Glass has the advantage of being transparent so one doesn't have to open the humi to pick a cigar to smoke. OTOH, humi glass typically doesn't have much value as an insulator against temperature swings (which will be irrelevant to some).

I have a small countertop glass display humi. With the hydra and a couple pounds of beads and sealing it recovers RH from door openings fairly quickly. However, the display humi has to go the basement in summer because I don't have air conditioning.

FYI, the hygro's that pet stores sell for lizard/amphibean terrariums are pretty much the same thing inside and can be much less expensive. The only difference is usually the size of the holes in the hygro case (bigger holes in cigar-marketed hygro's give faster response).

Thread Information