Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wine Thread

Blog Entries

Stonehedge Chardonnay

I mean, it was good. I appreciated the butteriness to it, and not so much sweetness. I don't know that I'd run back to the store to buy another bottle of it, though. There are better Chardonnays to be had at this price point (~$10)

Plunderhead Zin - 2007

Recently, these Lodi wines have really been impressing me. I don't know if it's the wine, or I'm not drinking enough of anything lately to notice quality. Really fabulous bottle of wine.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer View Post
    Kathryn Hall 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

Lots of ripe fruit, raisins, and a touch of sweet tea.
    Now this sounds good!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Mount Veeder Winery 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

Good wine. Heavy on the tannins. I was completely shocked when we did not finish the bottle. This wine drank well on day 2.

4. Default

Anybody here tried Australian wine? 2011 Howard Park 'Miamup' Sauvignon Blanc Semillon was a pretty awesome experience. It goes well with goat's cheese, pistachio, or prawns. Cheers!

After dinner earlier this week, went to a small local wine bar. Sat in a nice quiet place just listening to some French Pandora station (you know, one of those stations that doesn't have commercials because no one
    listens to it) and thinking about some Burgundy.

2010 vintage. Nice and dry, definitely old world. This wine had a very full, silky mouthfeel.
    Last edited by WinstonSpencer; 08-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Blog Entries

This has been a mild wine-drinking summer for us. However, we were treated to dinner one evening about 2 months ago where we had a bottle of Far Niente Cabernet. Simply put, it's the best wine I've ever had. I believe it was a 2004 vintage. Pretty label, too.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    This has been a mild wine-drinking summer for us. However, we were treated to dinner one evening about 2 months ago where we had a bottle of Far Niente Cabernet. Simply put, it's the best wine I've ever had. I believe it was a 2004 vintage. Pretty label, too.
    Cool. That wine has been on my "To Try" list for a while. Definitely a stand-out label.

Blog Entries

Petite Petit. Still awesome. Still 40% off at the local Whole Foods.

Cool. That wine has been on my "To Try" list for a while. Definitely a stand-out label.
    I suggest pulling the trigger. I've seen in some grocery stores they'll offer a 6 pack for like 30% off of the total price. Figure you get one bottle of Far Niente, and 5 other $10 bottles or so, and it's like only having to pay a normal price for the Far Niente. Just a thought, and it's still expensive, but honestly, I'd forgo a few weeks of the regular rotation for a bottle of it, though.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

It looks like I've come a long way from page one. We took a 4 day weekend trip over Thanksgiving to the South of France, specifically the Rohne valley. We spent a full day driving around to the different wineries in the Chateauneuf-du-Pape area tasting and stockpiling. I came home with 18 bottles left after the rest of the weekend. This was some of the best wine I have ever had. Here's a picture of the back of the van after the last winery of the day.

Tonight I'm cracking open a bottle of Domaine de Mourchon Tradition 2009. 65% grenache, 25% syrah, 10% carignan from 40 year old vines.

ETA: Pretty good. Really mellow and velvety feel, not much tannin. Dry on the finish. I think this is my last bottle of this. Wish I had another.
    Last edited by Eville; 12-29-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    It looks like I've come a long way from page one. We took a 4 day weekend trip over Thanksgiving to the South of France, specifically the Rohne valley. We spent a full day driving around to the different wineries in the Chateauneuf-du-Pape area tasting and stockpiling. I came home with 18 bottles left after the rest of the weekend. This was some of the best wine I have ever had. Here's a picture of the back of the van after the last winery of the day.

Tonight I'm cracking open a bottle of Domaine de Mourchon Tradition 2009. 65% grenache, 25% syrah, 10% carignan from 40 year old vines.

ETA: Pretty good. Really mellow and velvety feel, not much tannin. Dry on the finish. I think this is my last bottle of this. Wish I had another.

The Rohne Valley, eh? I'm completely envious. I'd love to do one of those French winery tours - even more than I'd want to do a Northern California wine crawl. Have you by chance checked out the movie Bottle Shock?

Not that it compares, but recently a good friend introduced me to the Cooper Hawk winery. I believe they're only located in a handful of states with only a few restaurant locations/tasting rooms, but there is a local location with a tasting room. And not one of the wines I tasted I would not want to buy a bottle of. I'm not a huge Chardonnay fan, but I have to say they have one of the most incredible Chardonnay's I've ever tasted!

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post

Damn Eville, that sounds like an amazing experience. French wine country is definitely on my bucket list. Just curious, did you encounter any difficulty with language barriers? Were local attitudes generally favorable?

12. Default

Williams Selyem and Araujo
    Last edited by gogotron; 08-14-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Damn Eville, that sounds like an amazing experience. French wine country is definitely on my bucket list. Just curious, did you encounter any difficulty with language barriers? Were local attitudes generally favorable?
    Late reply, but the general attitude of everyone there, especially the people at the wineries was favorable. They were just as happy to sell me wine as I was to drink it. At least one person at each spoke English well so there weren't any language barriers.

14. Default

I was buying bottles of MacRostie Pinot 2007, specifically Carneros region (not Wildcat Mountain) for a while about 3 years back. Insane bottle of wine, truly reminds you of Dr. Pepper. Still have a few bottles stashed away. If you can find a bottle, highly recommend

Thread Information