Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigars made in America

Blog Entries

Default Cigars made in America

There are many cigars, some very popular and well known, that are made here in America. I've found that very few of them actually use American tobacco. The ones that use anything other than that wonderful CT shade leaf for wrapper are even fewer.

The U.S.A. has a long history of tobacco growth and export. Even today, many of the tobaccos grown here are used in the production of premium pipe tobaccos.....think VA and Maryland and Perique, etc.

Why not cigar tobacco? Yes, I know we make plenty of swisher sweets, etc...here, from tobaccos grown here. Glorified cigarettes aren't what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by ashauler; 03-07-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spellin'

2. Default

Try Munniemakers. It's an old American brand, machine made, but with CT fillers and wrappers, both shade and broadleaf. It's really quite a good cigar, not a cigarette in disguise. It's a true CT Puro. Hell, CC86's father used to smoke them.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Try Munniemakers. It's an old American brand, machine made, but with CT fillers and wrappers, both shade and broadleaf. It's really quite a good cigar, not a cigarette in disguise. It's a true CT Puro. Hell, CC86's father used to smoke them.

Doc.
    I'll do that. I should also say that both CT and PA broadleaf have been used more recently in cigar production, they usually surround nic or dom or hond fillers though.

With the diverse climates and soil types available here, I'm wondering why a premium long-filler cigar couldn't be produced. I bet it could, but producing one that is economically viable would be the challenge.

Blog Entries

I suspect it can be done, but there would be no money in it - growing is less expensive elsewhere, production is less expensive elsewhere, and the US has low duty and excise rates on cigars.

There is also no well-known historic precedent for premium American-grown and -made cigars. The top premium brands (rolled in the US) historically used Cuban tobacco ("Clear Havana's") so there is no historical industry/romance to revive.

The only US-grown premium that I know of is the Kauai Island Prince, although their wrappers are non-US, and, due to tax laws, the tobacco is processed and rolled in Nicaragua(!).
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I suspect it can be done, but there would be no money in it - snip........
    Perhaps.

It seems in this day and age it’s more “PC” to grow marijuana than to grow tobacco.
    As states are outlawing tobacco, they are legalizing marijuana. Shame.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

I suspect it can be done, but there would be no money in it - growing is less expensive elsewhere, production is less expensive elsewhere, and the US has low duty and excise rates on cigars.
    I agree that growth and production are cheaper, but I'm not sure there wouldn't be any money in it. There's definitely a niche market for American-Made goods, whether it's tobacco, alligator-skinned boots, automobiles, whatever. Some people exclusively purchase American whenever possible.

There is also no well-known historic precedent for premium American-grown and -made cigars. The top premium brands (rolled in the US) historically used Cuban tobacco ("Clear Havana's") so there is no historical industry/romance to revive.
    True. And this would be the biggest hurdle. But I don't think it's impossible. Strategic marketing, appealing to both the cigar enthusiast and American consumer would have to be employed. I'm not saying it would be easy, I'm just saying it hasn't been done yet - not impossible, though.

The only US-grown premium that I know of is the Kauai Island Prince, although their wrappers are non-US, and, due to tax laws, the tobacco is processed and rolled in Nicaragua(!).
    To many in the continental US, Hawaii might as well be a foreign country.

In conclusion, I would think that if the time and money were put into developing a superior product, it would find a market in the states. I've noticed that American cigarettes are consumed in foreign countries, so there's reason to believe American cigars, while may still be second to established Cuban counterparts, could still be a viable option in the humidor. I just don't think enough effort has been put in marketing.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    In conclusion, I would think that if the time and money were put into developing a superior product, it would find a market in the states. I've noticed that American cigarettes are consumed in foreign countries, so there's reason to believe American cigars, while may still be second to established Cuban counterparts, could still be a viable option in the humidor. I just don't think enough effort has been put in marketing.
    Marketing can accomplish a lot, I agree. However, the cigar doesn't have to be a puro to benefit - look at the CAO America - look at CAO, in fact. There are many American cigar companies that have produced, or could easily produce, in the US, but they don't seem to have to in order to retain their "American-ness."

In any case, the defining characteristic of most premium cigar tobacco is that it is grown in volcanic soil. Cigar smokers are used to the flavour of tobacco grown in volcanic soil. An American puro (non-Hawaiian) would have to overcome that.
    Craig

Blog Entries

Marketing can accomplish a lot, I agree. However, the cigar doesn't have to be a puro to benefit - look at the CAO America - look at CAO, in fact. There are many American cigar companies that have produced, or could easily produce, in the US, but they don't seem to have to in order to retain their "American-ness."

In any case, the defining characteristic of most premium cigar tobacco is that it is grown in volcanic soil. Cigar smokers are used to the flavour of tobacco grown in volcanic soil. An American puro (non-Hawaiian) would have to overcome that.
    Interesting that a couple of notable exceptions to that are CT Shade and both CT and PA Broadleaf. Not sure if the soil is volcanic in nature in Cameroon or Mexico either. Without a doubt, the soil composition plays a large part in the flavor of a given tobacco, however, it is not the only factor.

Blog Entries

I think the growing regions in Mexico such as the San Andres Tuxtla region and Cameroon, Africa are volcanic soils.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Interesting that a couple of notable exceptions to that are CT Shade and both CT and PA Broadleaf. Not sure if the soil is volcanic in nature in Cameroon or Mexico either. Without a doubt, the soil composition plays a large part in the flavor of a given tobacco, however, it is not the only factor.
    Very true, but CT Shade/broadleaf are primarily binders and wrappers. Filler tobacco is grown in both places, of course. The resulting mild taste is currently out of fashion with aficionado's, but these things often go in cycles.

Mexico's cigar-tobacco-growing areas are volcanic IIRC, I don't know about Cameroon. Cameroon sun-grown wrapper has a unique taste, though - and a unique taste is what an American puro would need to succeed, I think.

FYI, http://www.marshwheeling.com/ (seems to have PA broadleaf/Dom filler)
    http://www.fdgrave.com/ (Muniemaker)

Neither is hand-rolled, though, AFAIK.
    Craig

Blog Entries

snip.....and a unique taste is what an American puro would need to succeed, I think. snip
    There we go.

Blog Entries

In the aforementioned example, however, I think what's ended up happening in this instance is over-marketing, to the point of almost being a gimmick. It doesn't immediately appear to me that this was an attempt to label the 'America' cigar as showcasing American tobacco as a gimmick of representing labels from anywhere tobacco could grow (Brazil, Italy). CAO, in my mind, would stop at nothing to put any kind of spin they could on any product they have in order to sell it. The cigar is not necessarily indicative of the country's tobacco.

Cameroon sun-grown wrapper has a unique taste, though - and a unique taste is what an American puro would need to succeed, I think.
    I agree with this statement - if it would happen here, there would need to be some kind of unique twist that would appeal to aficionados. I don't know that Cameroon sungrown is the answer, but something along those lines (jayhawk?).

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    In the aforementioned example, however, I think what's ended up happening in this instance is over-marketing, to the point of almost being a gimmick. It doesn't immediately appear to me that this was an attempt to label the 'America' cigar as showcasing American tobacco as a gimmick of representing labels from anywhere tobacco could grow (Brazil, Italy). CAO, in my mind, would stop at nothing to put any kind of spin they could on any product they have in order to sell it. The cigar is not necessarily indicative of the country's tobacco.
    LOL. Almost a gimmick??? Well, they didn't make a Nub, that's true!

I pointed out the CAO America as an example of a cigar that is marketed to appeal to Americans - and to Americans' patriotism - just as an American puro might be marketed (along with a unique taste) ... and yes, the CAO marketing fluff talks about American tobacco.

In general, this issue is kinda like single malt whisky. Malt whisky is made in lots of places, but it takes good products plus a huge amount of marketing to establish a presence in the premium single malt market beyond Scotch. Japanese brands have made an impact - so it can be done.
    Craig

Nice thread guys; never knew cigar tobacco is grown in volcanic soil.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post

Doc.
    LMAO!

When I saw the title of the thread, Muniemakers were the fist cigars I thought of but Doc beat me to the post.

Here's a link:

FD Grave & Son, New Haven, CT
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

It sounds like General has been growing Corojo in CT!

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfe.../show/id/15903
    New Punch Made with New Wrapper
    Gregory Mottola
    Posted: March 30, 2011

You've probably heard of the Punch Rare Corojo brand, but have you ever heard of Connecticut Corojo tobacco? It's a proprietary wrapper that General Cigar will be using on its new Punch Rare Corojo 10th Anniversary, a 5-inch long, 50 ring gauge cigar that has just started shipping to retailers.

This release of the Punch Rare Corojo differs greatly from previous launches, as the Rare Corojo cigars have typically been made with Ecuadoran Sumatra wrappers.

"For ten years, cigar enthusiasts have looked forward to the annual return of the Rare Corojo...a spicy no-nonsense blend at a reasonable price," said Rick Chandler, director of marketing for Punch cigars. "This year, we're pleased to have upped the ante by offering the classic Punch Rare Corojo along with the standout new taste of the 10th Anniversary frontmark."

For more on the new cigar, and on the Connecticut Corojo tobacco, see the next issue of Cigar Insider.
    Craig

Such interesting tidbits to read about...
    :D

19. Default Tatuaje's La Casita Criolla

Tatuaje's La Casita Criolla was released in July 2011. The cigar is made with 100% Connecticut Broadleaf and is available in 3 sizes: corona, corona gorda, and short churchill. I can't remember the last time a premium cigar included entirely American tobacco. The cigars are rolled in Nicaragua. (If only this were done in Little Havana Miami, the entire production from seed to packaging would be completed in the USA!)

Wrapper: CT Broadleaf USA
    Binder: CT Broadleaf USA
    Filler: CT Broadleaf USA
    Strength: Full-bodied

Found this site: http://www.amishshop.com/hazel-doc/cigars.htm ,while researching growing my own. I believe the Amish cigars are made in Pennsylvania, and the Marsh Wheeling are made in Indiana.
    Last edited by FightingFish; 01-22-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: fact check

Thread Information