Thread: Kung Fu

Default Kung Fu

Any Kung Fu movie heads out there in Cigar forum Land? I was raised on Saturday afternoon Kung Fu Theater as a kid and am refocusing on my collection for the summer.

I recently picked up 36th Chambers and I own a good amount of classics (Kid with the golden Arm, 5 deadly Venom's, Shaolin vs. Wutang, Fist of the White Lotus, Shaolin Intruders, Legendary weapons of China, ect...) There are a couple I have my eye on but wanted to know if anyone with similar taste doesn't have any suggestions. BTW these movies are great to smoke to!

Boom! Right here! Been watching alot of newer releases than I used to...Ong Bak, Ip man etc...

Yeah I seen Ip Man recently. Not Bad. I'm not a fan of the wire fighting ones though (Crouching Tiger and so on) Although I mess with Curse of the Golden Flower!

True...those have more in common with The Matrix than they do with Enter the Dragon...entertaining, but not my favorite ya know?

Big Bruce Lee fan but that's about my extent on Kung Fu. Love the movies but it's hard to find ones to watch.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Same here...watched all the Bruce Lee flicks as a kid and then started watching other oldies but goodies- Five Fingers of Death, Drunken Master, etc....

Now a days it's hard to find time to watch- it's gotta be on my day off when my wife is working cause she is NOT havin' it...she can't stand 'em

Also like Bruce unfortunately his early death leaves us with no catalog. These are 5 Kung Fu flicks I feel are must owns or at the very least must see at least once.

1) The Kid with the Golden Arms
    2) 36 Chambers of Death
    3) Chinese Boxer Rebellion
    4) The Big Boss (The first Bruce Lee movie)
    5) Fist of the White Lotus

Hoping to go check out 13 Assassins at the Drafthouse next week...anyone have a chance to see it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by b.read View Post
    Hoping to go check out 13 Assassins at the Drafthouse next week...anyone have a chance to see it yet?
    No not at all. Keep me posted.

Okay! Went and checked out 13 Assassins on Thursday and yeah...you're gonna want to see this one.

This is by far the best Miike flick I've seen yet- it doesn't have the typical amount of gratuitous gore that his other movies have, but that's not the point. This is a a gritty, but beautifully shot film. The plot is great and the fighting is remarkable, no overused CGI, no apparent wires. This is a good ole fashioned samurai movie that outshines them all, IMO. Definitely buying this when it drops on dvd.

Finally got to see 13 Assassins. Excellent flick!

Nice! It's on netflix, for those that have yet to check it out...watched it again the other day.

Thread Information