Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did it take for you to develop your "nose"?

Question How long did it take for you to develop your "nose"?

Some of the cigar reviews I read state some pretty funky flavors and tastes that really sound as though the reviewer is taking the piss and living in fantasy land...
    For me, some cigars are more tasty than others and i can pick out some of the flavors and, with a bit of imagination i can almost understand some of the funky flavors the reviewers mention - but this took some time to distinguish from the plain old taste of tobacco i got from all cigars when i first began smoking...
    For me, I found Gurkha cigars helped to develop my tastes and often have pretty distinctive flavors i can pick out, but now i'm getting flavors on a broad range of 'gars.

So what about everyone else - how much flavor do you get out of a cigar, what are your most tastiest and distinctive cigars, and how long did it take you to develop your nose and start making taste distinctions?

2. Default

I've been waiting 40 yrs. to taste chocolate in my cigars. Hasn't happed yet and I doubt it ever will. Tobacco tastes like tobacco. Some folks have vivid imaginations and are influenced by publications such as Cigar Aficionado. If my memory serves me correctly, no one else did either before those idiots started writing their drivel.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

I don't really read Cigar Aficionado or any other publications like that. It's also hard to trust retailer "tasting notes" as they're trying to sell you something.

That said, I can identify essences of different flavors when smoking tobacco. Mostly spice, leather, oil. Beyond that there's the texture of the smoke, the aftertaste of the flavors, and how well they blend together.

YMMV

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I don't really read Cigar Aficionado or any other publications like that. It's also hard to trust retailer "tasting notes" as they're trying to sell you something.

That said, I can identify essences of different flavors when smoking tobacco. Mostly spice, leather, oil. Beyond that there's the texture of the smoke, the aftertaste of the flavors, and how well they blend together.

YMMV

Will
    What Will said. I have found things in cigars that remind me of things, cigars that make me feel like I am or should be sitting by a camp fire, earthy notes, woodsy notes. Like Will said I have found things like spice, leather, and oil, every once in awhile I may find a smoke that feels nutty or creamy but it really isn't that the flavor is there but it's just the way you feel about the smoke, it's the best way you can describe that particular cigar I guess.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

5. Default

I would point out two things to you gentlemen. If you weren't a cigar smoker prior to CA's inception, you've been influenced whether you read the rag or not. And two, from what I've read and personally experienced, Cuban and Cuban Americans think we're nuts for tasting the things we think we taste in cigars.

Doc.
    Doc

I smoked a cigar last week that tasted like a Big Mac & French Fries
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I smoked a java once. I tasted coffee.

I believe it is 90% marketing and 10% people sucking at talking. But scientifically it is possible for the same molecule that is responsble for say, the taste of citrus, to be found in a cigar. Whether this happens at a discernable level is a matter of debate (obviously). Again, marketing and people talking out their ass. Also, complex flavors like leather and oil are more difficult to describe than one dimensional flavors. I love the art/science barrier. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Blog Entries

Dammit, if you're not tasting freshly mown hay with an aftertaste of mint-cherry frappachino cheesecake, you're not living.

Cubans....pffftt what do they know about tobacco?

Uncle Tupelo

10. Default

Dammit, if you're not tasting freshly mown hay with an aftertaste of mint-cherry frappachino cheesecake, you're not living.

Cubans....pffftt what do they know about tobacco?
    I don't know what kind of engineer you are but you might be interested to know that I'm having a similar argument on a audiophile board about folks who think they can hear wire.

Doc.
    Last edited by Devil Doc; 05-19-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    Doc

Blog Entries

Will, shoot me a PM with the link to those cigars. I love mint-cherry frappachino cheesecake and have been waiting for a long time to find a cigar that tasted like it.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    I don't know what kind of engineer you are but you might be interested to know that I'm having a similar argument on a audiophile board about folks who think they can hear wire.

Doc.
    He's really a frustrated Architect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    Will, shoot me a PM with the link to those cigars. I love mint-cherry frappachino cheesecake and have been waiting for a long time to find a cigar that tasted like it.
    delicious cigars

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    He's really a frustrated Architect.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I couldn't find them in a fat tip so I think they're sold out!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Whew!

For a while there I thought there was something seriously wrong with my palate so I'm VERY glad to see this thread.

I don't detect a lot of the flavors the CA folks state they do for cigars I've tried that they have reviewed and I thought it was me. (just for the record, my wife bought me a one year subscription to CA in April of 10 for my b'day, I've not renewed it....lol)

I can, and do detect stronger flavors like spicey, leathery and woody.

I find some cigar smoke has texture to it as well. Some can be kind of heavy and oily. When someone here refers to a cigar as being "toothy" I always assume they mean it's got a heavy/oily kind of texture to the smoke. I've also discovered "creamy" which I like a lot too. The Rocky Patel Vintage 1990's to me have a nice creamy texture to them for example.

But some of the stuff I've read in reviews in CA have had me shaking my head.

I'm glad to see it's not just me!

I know what I like and what tastes good to me and I've tried in the past to sit and really taste a cigar to see if I couldn't find all these other interesting flavors and was disappointed when I couldn't. Now I can stop worrying about it and just relax and continue to enjoy a good cigar without feeling like I'm lacking in something, or losing out on something.
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 05-19-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: found a lost comma and put it back
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    I couldn't find them in a fat tip so I think they're sold out!
    delicious cigars with fat tips

Anything for you, bro!

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Well, I'm certainly not a sophisticated CA type of guy, but I've experienced flavors/aromas that are reminiscent of wood, leather, and pepper in cigars. I also agree with the mouth-feel aspect of the smoke....some is creamier than others...lighter or denser...etc. Most often a good solid nasal exhale enhances the "delusion" I guess. No madagascar vanilla...or black cherries....or buttered toast here though.

To each their own.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Whew!

For a while there I thought there was something seriously wrong with my palate so I'm VERY glad to see this thread.

I don't detect a lot of the flavors the CA folks state they do for cigars I've tried that they have reviewed and I thought it was me. (just for the record, my wife bought me a one year subscription to CA in April of 10 for my b'day, I've not renewed it....lol)

I can, and do detect stronger flavors like spicey, leathery and woody.

I find some cigar smoke has texture to it as well. Some can be kind of heavy and oily. When someone here refers to a cigar as being "toothy" I always assume they mean it's got a heavy/oily kind of texture to the smoke. I've also discovered "creamy" which I like a lot too. The Rocky Patel Vintage 1990's to me have a nice creamy texture to them for example.

But some of the stuff I've read in reviews in CA have had me shaking my head.

I'm glad to see it's not just me!

I know what I like and what tastes good to me and I've tried in the past to sit and really taste a cigar to see if I couldn't find all these other interesting flavors and was disappointed when I couldn't. Now I can stop worrying about it and just relax and continue to enjoy a good cigar without feeling like I'm lacking in something, or losing out on something.
    You made my day, young fella and have added new vigor and vitality to my crusade against those who would perpetrate their pathologhy, gustatory hallucinations, upon the more rational among us.

Doc.
    Doc

Blog Entries

delicious cigars with fat tips

Anything for you, bro!
    Sampler! What's better than fat tips? Being able to try all of the varieties of fat tips! Am I threadjacking? Sorry.

If I like the characteristics of a cigar I keep smoking it and smoke more sticks of it. I agree with what's previously been stated in that I can pick up spicy, leather, and sweet or not. Ultimately it comes down to whether I like it or not which is subjective on an individual level.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    You made my day, young fella and have added new vigor and vitality to my crusade against those who would perpetrate their pathologhy, gustatory hallucinations, upon the more rational among us.

Doc.
    Sweet, so now you're in a good mood.

Cigars don't all taste the same to me, and I would assume they don't to you either. Is taste not a subjective thing?

Thread Information