Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoa Im a lost dog

1. Default Whoa Im a lost dog

Hey guys Im new to the cigar buisness and am kinda of lost. Basically all I would like clarified is what are some beginner cigars? And how do I go about buying a humidor and setting it up? I plan on only smoking cigars on the golf course so I suppose a 15 or under humi would work. I also heard about some humi pouches or something that can keep cigars for a while, have any of you seen these? Thanks!

Blog Entries

If only there was some kind of sampler that could be put together especially for new guys. It would also be sweet if there was some tool for people to search for information. What a crazy word that would be, right?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    If only there was some kind of sampler that could be put together especially for new guys. It would also be sweet if there was some tool for people to search for information. What a crazy word that would be, right?
    looked at the newbie sampler thread. Been searching for the humi-pouch. Thanks though!

4. Default

Just found these bags called Arturo Fuente Humipaks they sounds like the knats ass, also have good reviews. I think I'll give these a go since Ill only be buying 3-4 at a time and smoking them within 2 weeks. Now all I need to do is narrow down to some beginner smokes.

5. Default

Have any of you tried Arturo Fuente humidipak or whatever there called? Im thinking this would be my best bet, I just don't see myself smoking enough for a humidor. Thanks, and all beginner cigar ideas will be appreciated

Knats ass- Is that like the bee's knees?
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

The AF Humi bags work well -- wait -- someone is at the door -- which means I'll likely have to open the door by turning the gnob...

Quote Originally Posted by EGQ View Post
    The AF Humi bags work well -- wait -- someone is at the door -- which means I'll likely have to open the door by turning the gnob...
    That post was the bee's gnees.

Save yourself the hassle and get a 50 count humidor minimum. It will come with some sort of humidification system and a gauge. Make sure the gauge is accurate before you use it for storing cigars. Having a bit larger humidor than you require will allow you to age some cigars that you determine you really like. Besides, if you buy a 15 count, it will really only hold about 1/2 that and I guarantee you will outgrow it quickly. Setting up a humi is easy, just takes patience. Plenty of info on the net about doing this.

Welcome to the site.

Mark

10. Default

So do the AF pouches work? I don't want to spend the money on a humidor yet until I see if the hobby is right for me. Im only going tonhave 3-4 sticks at a time. Are these hump pouches available at most tobacco shops?

Blog Entries

Plastic bags work.
    Humidipak$(tm) work.
    Whether the bag or the Humidipak$(tm) say "Fuente" or "Boveda" on them or not doesn't change chemistry. My bags say "Zip-lock Freezer bag" and I made my paks using kitty litter in envelopes. Mine work too.

ETA:Boveda
    Last edited by craig; 05-29-2011 at 05:08 PM.

12. Default

The only thing I noticed is some only last 90 days while the fuentes are guarantee'd for 6 months. Lmao this cigar stuff isn't the easiest stuff in the world, who would of thunk you actually have to read on how to store and buy and cut a simple cigar? No one seems to want to repost some beginner cigars, I'll keep searching

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphinswin10 View Post
    The only thing I noticed is some only last 90 days while the fuentes are guarantee'd for 6 months. Lmao this cigar stuff isn't the easiest stuff in the world, who would of thunk you actually have to read on how to store and buy and cut a simple cigar? No one seems to want to repost some beginner cigars, I'll keep searching
    You do that. We're not customer service.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

14. Default

I don't know why you guys call this a forum... hardly any of you are willing to help.

Blog Entries

It is a long weekend so you are not getting the variety of replies that you deserve.

Blog Entries

I don't know why you guys call this a forum... hardly any of you are willing to help.
    Your questions have been answered. Maybe not to your satisfaction, but answered none the less. Does your mommy lay out your clothes for you in the morning?

So do the AF pouches work? I don't want to spend the money on a humidor yet until I see if the hobby is right for me. Im only going tonhave 3-4 sticks at a time. Are these hump pouches available at most tobacco shops?
    Take this with a grain of salt because I'm a fucking newb.

Anyone who has come here and said they don't need a decent sized humidor usually ends up with one. That is why I said don't buy a 20 count humidor, get a larger one. When a humidor states that it will hold 20 cigars, that is based on "corona" sized gars. In reality, you will probably only get half of that in there.

If you think 3-4 sticks is what you will have on hand, get a glass container or tupperware container with a resealable lid and a small humidification device. It will save you some money until you end up buying a much larger humidor (which you will). Based on your needs, your local cigar shop will be of more help than this forum...for now.

Cigars and taste are subjective. I have read a ton of threads on here and I have no idea what are considered beginner. Again, I would suggest buying from your local shop and asking them to get you started on some decent cigars.

This forum may be different from others you belong to. I belong to various automotive, fishing, and RC forums and this one is very different in the way it is run. That is what I like about it. The people here have been more than helpful and generous, but they don't put up with BS or drama. Post less, read more are the words to live by.

Mark

Basically what VM said. Go to your local tobacco shop they probably have some little humidity pouches, probably $.99 or so, et a tupperware container that will hold your 4 or 5 smokes, buy smokes, Punch, Montesino, La Gloria Cubana, Arturo Fuente and Padron are good places to start., I might suggest Gispert for a nice mild smoke if they have it as well. Now soak the humi pack in distilled water, important, and put it and the cigars in the tupperware container.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

I'm pretty new to cigars too. After finding this forum, I read through the Reviews extensively and made a list of cigars to try.

If you click on the "Cigar Forum" button on the menu bar at the top, you'll see "Review" in big bold letters. Click on it and start reading.

What I can tell you is as I've smoked more cigars, I find the ones that once seemed strong now seem "medium" and the ones that seemed mild are well, dull boring and not worth smoking any more. What I'm saying is, as you smoke more, your taste developes and changes and you "acclimatize" (for lack of a better term) and they don't seem as strong as they once were. I would start with "mild" cigars and begin working your way up in strenght once you've had some.

I suggest you read reviews and make a list of mild to medium cigars (ie: you do not want to smoke a Camacho Triple Maduro on an empty stomach with your morning coffee at this point in your cigar experience) and buy from that list one cigar at a time and try them out and see how you like them, or not as the case may be. When you find something that appeals to you, buy a few so you always have some handy.

VancouverMark is right about the humi. I'd invest in a 50 if you've been enjoying the cigars you have smoked to date. I started with an pretend shotgun shell 8 cigar travel humidor and bought a 100 count humi shortly thereafter. This x'mas my wife got me a 500 count humi. I'm hoping to have to buy a 1000 count in a year or two.........lol. Just FYI, I've been smoking cigars almost 3 years now.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

20. Default

Thanks all for now I have found a different forum more willing to help. I may stop in here every now and then but for now ill be at cigar asylum. Im doing a Tupperware with boveda packs.

Thread Information