Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabaqueria de Filipinas 1898 Independencia L.E.

Default Tabaqueria de Filipinas 1898 Independencia L.E.

Last month, I bought a couple boxes of 1898 Independencia Limited Edition by Tabaqueria de Filipinas for a family reunion occurring this Labor Day for my Mom's--the Filipino--side of my family.

They were pretty cheap, so I wanted to smoke one myself to ensure I wasn't bringing total crap to the reunion. I decided to smoke one yesterday; though it was June 11 here, it was June 12 in the Philippines, which is Philippine Independence Day. Here's my review of the cigar with about a month in the humidor:

Manuf.: Tabaqueria de Filipinas
    Line: 1898 Independencia Limited Edition
    Vitola: Robusto (5 x 52)

Filler: Philippines
    Binder: Philippines
    Wrapper: Indonesia

Burn time: 60 minutes
    Drink: Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Pre-cut
    - Band: Very attractive design with a nice gloss and texturing.
    - Color: Claro, with a few double claro spots.
    - Smell: Hay. Not necessarily bad, but not mouth-watering.
    - Construction: Fair. A couple veins, but the wrapper looked well constructed. No soft spots or lumps. The cap, was jagged and I didn't trust it with a guillotine, so went with a punch.

Pre-light
    - Taste: Nearly none.
    - Draw: Firm, but not unmanageable.

1st 3rd
    - Flavor: Mostly natural tobacco.
    - Smoke: Decent amount of smoke, but I needed to double-puff most of the time to get it. It never felt like it was going unlit, so I chalked this up to the firm draw.
    - Burn: Lit very easily, but almost immediately started to burn unevenly, which I could not remedy by moistening the fast side or torching the slow side.
    - Ash: Light gray and very firm. Stayed on for a good inch after tapping. Left a nice ash cone with no exposed wrapper.

2nd 3rd
    - Flavor: More of the same, but it tastes more smooth and rounded. Very slight and occasional acidity.
    - Smoke: Same.
    - Burn: Though it remained uneven, the whole cigar seemed to be burning at the same pace, so I stopped trying to fix it. About halfway in, it evened itself out, though the line was jagged.
    - Ash: Same.

3rd 3rd
    - Flavor: A woody character joined in with the tobacco. The occasional acidity became more apparent and frequent, but not terribly so. It never got harsh, even to the last inch, though I had to put it down due to my lips beginning to burn.
    - Smoke: Double-puffing not needed as much.
    - Burn: Stayed even, but jagged, to the end.
    - Ash: Same.

Overall
    - Flavor: Mild to Medium. Nothing special, but it didn't taste bad at all.
    - Body: Mild to Medium. Wish I could produce more smoke from each puff.
    - Strength: Medium. Gave me a slight buzz.
    - Aroma: Not terrible, but not good; kind of burned the nostrils.

Bottom line: Decent for the price ($1.17 ea.). The common theme seems to be "not great, but not bad." It will be fine for the reunion, but if they weren't Filipino, they would not be considered. I'll see what another three months in the coolerdor does for the other 39.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3078.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	2434
    Last edited by JiveTurkey; 06-12-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

i find most Filipino cigars to be on the more 'grassy' flavor profile. a good place to start though. i know cause i sampled almost all the brands available, before moving on. and once you go Cuban, you never go back
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisboy View Post
    i find most Filipino cigars to be on the more 'grassy' flavor profile. a good place to start though. i know cause i sampled almost all the brands available, before moving on. and once you go Cuban, you never go back
    I strongly disagree. I find many NC to be very, if not more enjoyable.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post

Will
    This.

Blog Entries

Sound like really bad cigars.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisboy View Post
    i find most Filipino cigars to be on the more 'grassy' flavor profile.
    Yes, grassy sounds right. It was more noticeable in the smell than the taste, at least to me, but it was there now that I think of it.

The cigar wasn't really bad, but certainly not that good. Given the price, it was pretty decent really.
    Latest smokes:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    Yes, grassy sounds right. It was more noticeable in the smell than the taste, at least to me, but it was there now that I think of it.

The cigar wasn't really bad, but certainly not that good. Given the price, it was pretty decent really.
    "pretty decent really?" How can you say that when here are your own words:

but I needed to double-puff most of the time to get it
    almost immediately started to burn unevenly which I could not remedy
    I don't care how cheap disgusting cigars like this are they are not worth wasting time, money and energy on.

Life is too short to smoke $hitty cigars.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post

Will
    Ditto that.

The more NC's I smoke, the more I find that I truly enjoy more so than the ISOM's. Of all the ISOM's I've tried, only about 3 different varieties are ones I want in my humi all the time. When it comes to NC's, well, check the "latest addition to your humidor" thread for more info on that...........lol.....

Thanks for the review JiveTurkey I was hoping those would be a lot better than that. Your review is very "on target" for the 2 different types of Philippino cigars I've tried to date and I was hoping these would be better.

Oh, btw, sat in LL "Stubs" state park campground last week and shared a Padron 3000 with my stepdaughter's boyfriend and thought of you. Nice park, nice campground. I'm in love with the Oregon coastal region! The wife and I have decided we want to retire down there......if we ever get to that is!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Thanks for the review JiveTurkey I was hoping those would be a lot better than that. Your review is very "on target" for the 2 different types of Philippino cigars I've tried to date and I was hoping these would be better.
    That's too bad. I was really hoping these and other Philippine cigars would be better. I've heard Don Juan Urquijo are leagues better than the rest of them. Maybe you and I should go in on a box split next time your family goes there.

Oh, btw, sat in LL "Stubs" state park campground last week and shared a Padron 3000 with my stepdaughter's boyfriend and thought of you. Nice park, nice campground. I'm in love with the Oregon coastal region! The wife and I have decided we want to retire down there......if we ever get to that is!
    Glad you enjoyed your stay. I haven't been to that park. I want to explore all of the state in my life, so I'll add this to the list. We'll definitely be retiring here, too.
    Latest smokes:

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Yes, I agree. These have cultural value to me, so I really want these to be good (or at least enjoyable in some respect). I'll post up again in a few months and see if the others are any better (I know, long shot...).
    Last edited by JiveTurkey; 06-18-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Messed up the quote
    Latest smokes:

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    That's too bad. I was really hoping these and other Philippine cigars would be better. I've heard Don Juan Urquijo are leagues better than the rest of them. Maybe you and I should go in on a box split next time your family goes there.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. I haven't been to that park. I want to explore all of the state in my life, so I'll add this to the list. We'll definitely be retiring here, too.
    My little brother said he liked the Don Juan Urquijo's best. He didn't remember the name, he told me, "The ones with the gold writing on a black background". When his mother-in-law goes again, I'll tell him to order a couple boxes of those and you're most welcome to some of them. Although, if they're better than the rest..............

LOL

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

My little brother said he liked the Don Juan Urquijo's best. He didn't remember the name, he told me, "The ones with the gold writing on a black background". When his mother-in-law goes again, I'll tell him to order a couple boxes of those and you're most welcome to some of them. Although, if they're better than the rest..............

LOL

ah the Don Juans. i believe these are the most premium smokes the Philippines has to offer. they are quite similiar to a Macanudo, imho.

thick, clean, creamy smoke, with nutty and buttery notes on the palate. not very complex. just a simple enjoyable morning smoke.

i do miss these.
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post

I don't care how cheap disgusting cigars like this are they are not worth wasting time, money and energy on.

I dunno, being as I tend to smoke way more when I'm drinking/preoccupied with social events, I really enjoy a cheap satisfyying smoke. It is not often I get to really sit down and give my time and attention to a "high dollar" smoke. Really, I only sit down and get into my "top shelf" smokes when I'm in the company of fellow cigar smokers, or just by myself without "wifey " nagging about me smoking the house out. I know a expensive cigar will be good.... its about chasing the elusive low buck gem and enjoying the pursuit.

Blog Entries

How does one know an expensive cigar will be good? I've had expensive cigars that were $hit (to me), and I've had inexpensive cigars that were $hit (to me).

I'm with Bill on this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    How does one know an expensive cigar will be good? I've had expensive cigars that were $hit (to me), and I've had inexpensive cigars that were $hit (to me).

Dont get me wrong, I'll definitely agree I've smoked cigars that I'll say are over priced and overhyped, didnt live up to expectations for the price point, for example the higher priced Greycliff's or Gurkha's have never tickled me, but a PAM, Anejo, Opus, Davidoff's etc.. for me at least never let me down. I just like finding a pleasent medium, something that while it may not be the the greatest smoke in the world, will satisfy me while not breaking the bank, even if it means that it has some negative attributes compared to a "premium" cigar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post

Honestly, this logic makes it even more sensible to try inexpensive smokes, imho.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tdre977 View Post
    Dont get me wrong, I'll definitely agree I've smoked cigars that I'll say are over priced and overhyped, didnt live up to expectations for the price point, for example the higher priced Greycliff's or Gurkha's have never tickled me, but a PAM, Anejo, Opus, Davidoff's etc.. for me at least never let me down. I just like finding a pleasent medium, something that while it may not be the the greatest smoke in the world, will satisfy me while not breaking the bank, even if it means that it has some negative attributes compared to a "premium" cigar.
    Ah, that makes sense. BTW, don't overestimate the psychological power that the brand/band has on your smoking experience. The last mega review series showed how little correlation there can be between price/enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Honestly, this logic makes it even more sensible to try inexpensive smokes, imho.
    Exactly. It isn't "Life is too short to smoke inexpensive cigars," it is "Life is too short to smoke $hitty cigars." For example, I'll put down a cigar after a 1/2" if I don't like it, or throw out a box rather than smoking cigars that I found to be cr*p (even after sitting).
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

I agree. But also agree with the cultural value statement. There might be a business opportunity....

I think of expensive cigars I've smoked that didn't live up to the price. (Perdomo silvio comes to mind) and inexpensive cigars that, IMO, hands down beat cigars twice the prices (JdN Celebracion)

It's all about what's good for you and taste change overtime.

Bill's favorite cigar back in the day on stogiechat banana backwoods. But that was because he was a gorilla.

A quick update. Brought these down to California recently, smoked with my sister and cousin. Even worse than I remembered (burn was actually perfect this time, but the flavor was just not good). Put 'em out after an inch or so and washed out the taste with some pipe tobacco I bought down there.
    Latest smokes:

Thread Information