Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Take It Anymore

Blog Entries

Default Can't Take It Anymore

<rant>

I'm so tired of social networking. I don't understand it. It was initially cool to catch up with friends from long ago, but that novelty has worn off. There's a reason why we drifted apart, be it distance, lifestyle changes, etc. I don't care how high a score you have in Mafia Wars. I don't care how your fucking farmville is doing.

Furthermore, I hate how now I always have the option to login to my social networking sites to 'share' links with my friends. Not only did I hate you before, I hate you more now that you've given me this option. Why would you ever think I'd want to subject my friends to this shit? I can't try out any new applications or technologies now without being bombarded with social networking (yeah, I'm looking at you, turntable.fm AND spotify. I can't believe I waited in anticipation so long for your invites to be approved).

Basically, social networking has become important only to those ingrained with social networking. Nothing's original anymore, nothing is private or personal anymore. It just feels like this large, inefficient, worthless network of incestuous relationships that gets me so bitter I can taste the bile in my own mouth.

</rant>

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    <rant> ... </rant>
    Buzz likes this.
    Stop asking me to feed your stupid pet giraffe!
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    <rant>

There's a reason why we drifted apart,
    </rant>
    This perfectly sums up why I have never attended a high school reunion. I'd go so far as to say I've specifically separated myself from the majority of those people. Speaking of which, do they even have these anymore now that there is social networking? What's the point?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Not sure. At my 10 year, I realized that no one changed. I hated high school the first time around. I don't need to pay a fortune to experience it again.

If there's a redeeming value of social networking, it's sharing photos and news with extended family, who it's hard to reach at one time. It's a bit easier than worrying about file formats with e-mail. But that's it.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Anyone want to follow me on twitter? I have a lot of interesting things to say...

@crazymadpingpongskills
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

6. Default

Never been to a reunion of done the social networking thing...Waste of time.I've got on some of the young guys I supervise for posting questionable things on Facebook that were brought to my attention. Wish I had a dollar for all the calls we get about threats made on social networking sites.

This perfectly sums up why I have never attended a high school reunion. I'd go so far as to say I've specifically separated myself from the majority of those people. Speaking of which, do they even have these anymore now that there is social networking? What's the point?
    My class of 04 had an impromptu 5 year reunion a bit a go at someones house, via facebook invites no less. Does that count?

By the way, I never got the invite! Though I distance my self as much as possible from social networking bullshit, always have. Probably wouldn't have gone even if I did have a facebook account and got an invite.

My philosophy on social networking is, if I currently DON'T talk to you or communicate with you via normal long practiced methods.......I probably won't change my mind with some new bullshit.

Edit to Add: So I am right there with you; waiting for the slow agonizing death of social networking bullshit.
    Yay! Cigars!

If you want a social network have a BBQ and put out a couple of boxes of primo's and invite the board.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    If you want a social network have a BBQ and put out a couple of boxes of primo's and invite the board.
    Primo's?

Good enough for me!
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Primo's?

Good enough for me!
    Damn, those look good... I had a turkey sub for lunch today, with sweet peppers on it. We did 3rds on a "family size" sub which is about 18" long. Wasn't enough....Also, I read the description for their Turkey sub:

TURKEY SCHWARTZIE: Thumanns Home Style Turkey Breast, Swiss Cheese, Cole Slaw & Russian Dressing

DROOOOOOLLLLLLL

Uncle Tupelo

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

I have to admit that I am tired of social networking scene too! Especially after my face book page was hacked. Don't think I want to expend the energy again on that one!
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Agreed on social networking. Even worse is that most of my professors in grad school crammed it down our throat, "Better get used to it and learn it. Every business has to adapt and use it because it's the marketing medium of the future.". Blah!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    Agreed on social networking. Even worse is that most of my professors in grad school crammed it down our throat, "Better get used to it and learn it. Every business has to adapt and use it because it's the marketing medium of the future.". Blah!
    Social networking is fad in my opinion. Either way, the bubble will birst soon on this "social" scene; both networking and games. I don't think the fallout will be particurly pretty.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    This social "scene" is a fad in my opinion. Either way the bubble is going to burst soon, both for networking and games. The fallout is not going to be particurly pretty.
    Yay! Cigars!

I'd rather talk about the Primo's. Those are nice looking sandwiches.

Blog Entries

6,508 people like Primo Hoagies on Facebook
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

I can't stand Facebook and Titter at all. I created a Facebook account because I was trying to track down a teacher to invite to our high school reunion and a google search lead me to a Facebook link that I couldn't view unless I signed up for Facebook.

So after a while, I start getting "friends" requests from some people it was cool to find out about BUT from a whole lot of strangers, scammers, thieves and some people who I did know but don't want to have anything to do with.

Then FaceBook started that BS a couple of years ago claiming that THEY own the content you post on their site and if you delete your account then too bad, your crap still stays 'cause it's "their property." There was huge public outrage, they changed their policy back but I still deleted my whole account and will never open one under my real name. I have one under a fake name and I have no "friends."

The State Republican party thinks Facebook is the wave of the future and encourages all the political idiots to play on Facebook. Holy crap, I used to think cigar boards were full of a lot of BS, you should see these dumbasses talk about religion and politics and make complete asses out of themselves.

One of my political friends made a great point, if you're a political figure (meaning a public official like a Legislator) why on earth would you have a FaceSpace or a Titter account and post crap only to give your opponents material to hang you with in the future? We had a State Rep who just got elected Vice Chairman of the party re-teeted something stupid with some kind of pseudo racial slur against our Irish Governor and she was all over the newspapers for weeks......

Here's the link to one of the many news stories

Too many people I see spend way too much time on those stupid sites. Heck, I spend enough time here and on some other internet BB boards, I don't have time for Facespace and Titter.

As far as high school reunions, my class was only 56 people. I still live in the same house I was born in so I know where just about all of my high school classmates live and I'm in regular contact with quite a few of them. We had a 10th that was attended by over 75% of our class and it was a blast. I organized the 20th in November of 1999 but unfortunately, my dad passed away on the day of the event so I didn't even want to go...

When some of the others were wanting to organize our 30th, they said 'Hey, we gotta go on 'Classmates.com' to which I said "WTF for between me and one other guy who lives down the road, I can give you a 98% complete list of where everyone is, their addresses and phone numbers' so that's how we did it. There were only two out of the remaining 52 (four have since passed away, two suicides, one car accident and one had a brain tumor) I couldn't find. 40 of the 52 still live in CT, one in MA, two in NH, two in NY and one in Maine so even the ones who moved out of state didn't go far. The 30th was fun but not as well attended as the 10th or the 20th. Half of my high school classmates don't live further away than 10 miles from me so they're easy to find. I wasn't even a big jock or part of the "in" crowd in high school but I was friendly with pretty much everyone.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Bill, you forgot: <rant> </rant>

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Bill, you forgot: <rant> </rant>

No, no...If I were ranting, you'd see lots of nice swear words, LOL!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

I'm lucky I can navigate cigarsmokers never mind Facebook
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information