Thread: Can't Take It Anymore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Can't Take It Anymore

<rant>

I'm so tired of social networking. I don't understand it. It was initially cool to catch up with friends from long ago, but that novelty has worn off. There's a reason why we drifted apart, be it distance, lifestyle changes, etc. I don't care how high a score you have in Mafia Wars. I don't care how your fucking farmville is doing.

Furthermore, I hate how now I always have the option to login to my social networking sites to 'share' links with my friends. Not only did I hate you before, I hate you more now that you've given me this option. Why would you ever think I'd want to subject my friends to this shit? I can't try out any new applications or technologies now without being bombarded with social networking (yeah, I'm looking at you, turntable.fm AND spotify. I can't believe I waited in anticipation so long for your invites to be approved).

Basically, social networking has become important only to those ingrained with social networking. Nothing's original anymore, nothing is private or personal anymore. It just feels like this large, inefficient, worthless network of incestuous relationships that gets me so bitter I can taste the bile in my own mouth.

</rant>

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    <rant> ... </rant>
    Buzz likes this.
    Stop asking me to feed your stupid pet giraffe!
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

<rant>

There's a reason why we drifted apart,
    </rant>
    This perfectly sums up why I have never attended a high school reunion. I'd go so far as to say I've specifically separated myself from the majority of those people. Speaking of which, do they even have these anymore now that there is social networking? What's the point?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Not sure. At my 10 year, I realized that no one changed. I hated high school the first time around. I don't need to pay a fortune to experience it again.

If there's a redeeming value of social networking, it's sharing photos and news with extended family, who it's hard to reach at one time. It's a bit easier than worrying about file formats with e-mail. But that's it.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Anyone want to follow me on twitter? I have a lot of interesting things to say...

@crazymadpingpongskills

6. Default

Never been to a reunion of done the social networking thing...Waste of time.I've got on some of the young guys I supervise for posting questionable things on Facebook that were brought to my attention. Wish I had a dollar for all the calls we get about threats made on social networking sites.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Never been to a reunion of done the social networking thing...Waste of time.I've got on some of the young guys I supervise for posting questionable things on Facebook that were brought to my attention. Wish I had a dollar for all the calls we get about threats made on social networking sites.
    I agree, Ken - it still to this day shocks me that people do this. Hell - even a few of the guys at the PD nearly went to blows over someone "un-friending" another on Facebook.

I have no clue what people are thinking when they post threats and other nonsense on Facebook. It's as if it's just between them and the person they're posting crap with. Seriously? Do they not think they're talking to every other person in the entire internet world? (ohhh... I see... you say it's "private" )

I saw it from the PD side - the nonsense that led to police involvement. And most of it was truly justified, even though the persons doing the threatening felt as if it was just between the two of them. The knuckleheads couldn't get their head around the fact that they might as well have broadcasted their threat over a PA system during noon rush hour downtown!

Even worse - as a parent and seeing your children engaged in that spontaneous banter on the social networking sites!?! Geez - I used to just spray Bactine and put a Bandaid on their little scrapes when they were small. Not able to do that with this nonsense!!

On the "corporate" side - I cannot even begin to tell you how closely HR and corporate security review social networking sites for indications of potential employee misconduct. I know reviews of the info out there has led to quite a few demotions and terminations of employee's that otherwise appeared perfectly normal. C'mon - if you're in a responsible role at work and your Facebook account shows pictures of you frequently slooy drunk and stupid or often posting curse filled rants, there's a doggone good chance that will come back to bite you at work...

I'm not a fan...

Not sure. At my 10 year, I realized that no one changed. I hated high school the first time around. I don't need to pay a fortune to experience it again.

If there's a redeeming value of social networking, it's sharing photos and news with extended family, who it's hard to reach at one time. It's a bit easier than worrying about file formats with e-mail. But that's it.

Loved your origina post in this thread and agree with it 100%

All told, I attended 3 different highschools and have never been to a single reunion and couldn't be bothered to. I hated most of those schmucks back then and I can't see it having changed any over the years..........lol. I kept in touch with the ones I wanted to (like, 2 people) and the ones I've run into since that I went to highschool with back when convinced me not going to reunions was the smart choice.

I have a facebook account and like you only use it to share photos with family. Considering my immediate family is spread across Canada, it's an easy way to share pic's. I can't think of any other reason to bother. I don't do any of the other 'social networking' sites and never will.

I get a laugh when I hear kids comparing the number of "friends" they have on facebook.........like it actually means something..........which it doesn't. I always ask them, "Big deal, how many friends do you have in real life? That's what actually matters."

Some facebook "friend" you've never met who lives in freaking Guatemala isn't going to come help you when you're on the side of the road with a flat tire.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

9. Default

Its Ok to yak with my friends I grew up with who are 750 miles away,well actually I'm 750 miles away from them.I block all the games shit and useless drivelers I somehow befriended.
    The older I get ,the better I was

This perfectly sums up why I have never attended a high school reunion. I'd go so far as to say I've specifically separated myself from the majority of those people. Speaking of which, do they even have these anymore now that there is social networking? What's the point?
    My class of 04 had an impromptu 5 year reunion a bit a go at someones house, via facebook invites no less. Does that count?

By the way, I never got the invite! Though I distance my self as much as possible from social networking bullshit, always have. Probably wouldn't have gone even if I did have a facebook account and got an invite.

My philosophy on social networking is, if I currently DON'T talk to you or communicate with you via normal long practiced methods.......I probably won't change my mind with some new bullshit.

Edit to Add: So I am right there with you; waiting for the slow agonizing death of social networking bullshit.
    Yay! Cigars!

If you want a social network have a BBQ and put out a couple of boxes of primo's and invite the board.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    If you want a social network have a BBQ and put out a couple of boxes of primo's and invite the board.
    Primo's?

Good enough for me!
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Primo's?

Good enough for me!
    Damn, those look good... I had a turkey sub for lunch today, with sweet peppers on it. We did 3rds on a "family size" sub which is about 18" long. Wasn't enough....Also, I read the description for their Turkey sub:

TURKEY SCHWARTZIE: Thumanns Home Style Turkey Breast, Swiss Cheese, Cole Slaw & Russian Dressing

DROOOOOOLLLLLLL

Uncle Tupelo

14. Default

Fund raising, but I went to a private school. Which of course is why I feel superior to guys like Buzz and folks who taste chocolate in their cigars.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Fund raising, but I went to a private school. Which of course is why I feel superior to guys like Buzz and folks who taste chocolate in their cigars.

Doc.
    Oh, Jesus Christ.....

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Doc.
    Key word: Feel

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Someone tasted cucumber a couple days ago IIRC, can't remember which thread it was in though...

Last night on a walk with the wifey I had a JdN dark corojo and got some bitter cocoa taste and coffee. Alina asked how the cigar was, I gave it to her and she took a couple puffs and said "cow poop". She went to a public school though.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Someone tasted cucumber a couple days ago IIRC, can't remember which thread it was in though...

Last night on a walk with the wifey I had a JdN dark corojo and got some bitter cocoa taste and coffee. Alina asked how the cigar was, I gave it to her and she took a couple puffs and said "cow poop". She went to a public school though.
    As long as you weren't feeling the cucumber.... Not that there is anything wrong with that.... To each there own...er

Doc.
    Did you attend "private school" for all of those years, Doc? It coulda screwed you up more than you think, if you did (depending on where you went to private school - of course) I can imagine it certainly feeds the feeling of being superior to others. For those that were not there - it is impossible to understand. For those that were - it's a no-brainer...

I don't know about you, but I still have nightmares about Sister Mary Grace Be To God and her wooden ruler. She had a knack for knocking the taste of chocolate RIGHT out of your mouth!!!

True story - I returned to college after many years after leaving high school and signed up for an algebra class. The teacher - a very nice woman - apparently noticed a glazed look in my eyes when she began lecturing the class on the quadratic formula. After class she approached me and asked if I'd attended Catholic schools as a youth. I was puzzled with the question, but responded "yes"... She said, "I though so! You had the "look" during class I'm used to seeing from those that attended parochial schools. The "look" that only comes from the terror of studying under the rule of a "board of education".

I'd not realized my look was that telling, but I do recall thinking about Father Nathaniel twisting me into a pretzel because I could not recite "minus B, plus or minus the square root of B squared minus four AC all over 2 A". I would have to say that Father Nathaniel had an impact on me. To this day - without issue - I can readily recite the formula, even though I rarely use it.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Did you attend "private school" for all of those years, Doc? It coulda screwed you up more than you think, if you did (depending on where you went to private school - of course) I can imagine it certainly feeds the feeling of being superior to others. For those that were not there - it is impossible to understand. For those that were - it's a no-brainer...

I don't know about you, but I still have nightmares about Sister Mary Grace Be To God and her wooden ruler. She had a knack for knocking the taste of chocolate RIGHT out of your mouth!!!

True story - I returned to college after many years after leaving high school and signed up for an algebra class. The teacher - a very nice woman - apparently noticed a glazed look in my eyes when she began lecturing the class on the quadratic formula. After class she approached me and asked if I'd attended Catholic schools as a youth. I was puzzled with the question, but responded "yes"... She said, "I though so! You had the "look" during class I'm used to seeing from those that attended parochial schools. The "look" that only comes from the terror of studying under the rule of a "board of education".

I'd not realized my look was that telling, but I do recall thinking about Father Nathaniel twisting me into a pretzel because I could not recite "minus B, plus or minus the square root of B squared minus four AC all over 2 A". I would have to say that Father Nathaniel had an impact on me. To this day - without issue - I can readily recite the formula, even though I rarely use it.
    Appear, become, continue, feel, grow, look, remain, seem, smell, sound, and taste.

Those are verbs, other than the verb "to Be", that don't take a Direct Object but a Predicate Nominative. I learned that list in one afternoon in the eighth grade to the tap of a pointer. Thank you Sister St. Eileen.

BTW Cops always tell me I look guilty. Thank you Sister Mary Assumpta.(a Sicilian Nun)

But you know what, I ain't scared of anybody... except nuns.
    Doc
    Last edited by Devil Doc; 07-25-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Thread Information