Thread: Advice Needed

Default Advice Needed

I purchased a Humidor a few days ago. It came with a boveda seasoning kit. I calibrated the Hydrometer by the recommended damp salt method. I have had the shot glass of distilled water and the boveda packet in the humidor for 2 days and the hydrometer is steady reading 67, 68. So I think I may have a problem somewhere. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	2711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	2712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	2713

Introduce your self then run out and get a digital hygrometer, or better yet gets some beads and forget about the hygrometer.

The only real problem i see is no cigars in the humidor toss that shot glass and get some cigars.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Name is Bryan, from north carolina.

I was told that the box needed to be seasoned for 14 days before I put the cigars in. I will buy th digital hydrometer as you have suggest. What brand of beads do you suggest? I want to get the box right before I purchase the cigars. Trust me, I am ready to buy them ASAP.

Blog Entries

It might take a while to season the humi, and after you put in cigars you will likely still need to stay on top of adding water waiting for it to stabalize. IMO 67-68% is perfect. If you're trying to get to 70% you can speed up the seasoning process by wiping down the interior sides of the humi but don't super-soak it cause you might cause warping. Heartfelt is where I buy my beads (heartfeltindustries.com). You could skip the digital hygro and stay with your analog one if you get the beads. You will get a feel for where the right RH is for your smoking preferences (might be 65%, might be 70%).

Welcome to the forum from AZ.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Well welcome from SC i may come up and visit you one day and smoke all your cigars.

Beads are the way to go.
    i would say get some cigars and just go for it.
    Like buzz said you can wipe down the inside with distiled water and see what that dose.
    14 days is bull shit i do 24 hrs and never look back after calibrating my gages.

Once you add cigars the RH is going to lower for a few days till it stabilize so fill it 1/2 to 3/4 right away after seasoning.
    Don't over think it just go for it, You are never going to get it perfect every time you open the humidor it will lower the RH.

Pretty sure Boveda recommends a 14 day seasoning process. Put three packets in and come back two weeks later. Done!

Not sure when you only use one packet and the shot glass.

Welcome from TX. I also recommend heartfelt beads. I've got 65% beads in mine- after awhile, you'll find out what RH you prefer. Where did you purchase your humidor from? A handful of places keep them humidified so they're atleast somewhat seasoned when they are shipped out.

If you want to wait 14 days thats up to you.

I prefer to go the faster way and wipe them down and let them sit for a day.
    Its your humiodor do what you think is best and what your comfertable with. Do not let me or any one push you in to anything.

If you decide to wipe it down don't soak them, just dampen a clean sponge and wipe it down.

I suppose seasoning a humi is a lot like kegging a batch of homebrew...you can carb it the natural way which takes longer but you can rest easy because you went "by the book" (if that's your thing) or you can say "screw that!" and force carb it and enjoy your beer earlier...which is what I usually do.

No right or wrong way, just personal preference.
    Last edited by b.read; 09-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to buy the beads and a digital hydrometer and give it a good wipe down. I do want to make sure I get it right before I put the cigars in. I’m gonna buy a box of Havana Honeys and at 80 bucks a box I want to make sure I can take care of them.

You’re welcome to drop by anytime you want Mangy Rat, just bring your choice of meat so we can have something on the smoker while we enjoy the cigars.

I purchased the Humidor from cheap humidors.com. It was originally 200 but it had a scratch so I got it as a defect for half price. It has a really nice smell. As for the beads, I was looking at the 70RH tube. Do you have to add anything to the beads or just drop them in?

Thanks again fellas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bjd1020 View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I am going to buy the beads and a digital hydrometer and give it a good wipe down. I do want to make sure I get it right before I put the cigars in. I’m gonna buy a box of Havana Honeys and at 80 bucks a box I want to make sure I can take care of them.

You’re welcome to drop by anytime you want Mangy Rat, just bring your choice of meat so we can have something on the smoker while we enjoy the cigars.

I purchased the Humidor from cheap humidors.com. It was originally 200 but it had a scratch so I got it as a defect for half price. It has a really nice smell. As for the beads, I was looking at the 70RH tube. Do you have to add anything to the beads or just drop them in?

Thanks again fellas.
    Yes, you add distilled water to the beads. They will come with directions.
    Try the newb sampler, many more cigars out there beyond Havana Honeys.

Thanks Ashauler. Newb Sampler....?? From where? I’m gonna get the Honeys from BestPriceCigars.com, they have plenty of samplers any suggestion on a particular package?

I have had the pleasure of visiting my in laws in Panama twice a year. When Im there I hit the cigar huts pretty hard and try all sorts. I have even braved the challenge of bringing a few home.

Blog Entries

Thanks Ashauler. Newb Sampler....?? From where? ....snip
    From here: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...mpler-Thread-V
    Rules and explanation are in the first post....updated sponsor list is towards the end of the thread.

+1 for the newbie sampler. While buying a box of something you like is great, that box will fill your humidor to about 75% capacity. The newbie sampler will give you a nice selection of different smokes so you can find a bunch of different ones you like. Then you can buy some 5 or 6 packs of the ones you like and have a varied selection.

As for the gauge, forget the gauge that came with the humidor. Mine was out by 20% out of the box. They're garbage. Get a digital and some beads and forget it. Add the distilled water to the beads and fill the box up with cigars. You won't do your cigars any harm by putting them in the box "unseasoned". You will just need to add water to the beads more frequently as the wood in the box and your cigars soak up the humidity. Once it stabilizes, you won't need to add water to the beads as frequently.

Welcome to the forum.

Mark

Welcome from Alberta, Canada!

My first humi was that exact same one. It was a good humi and when my wife bought me a 500 count for x'mas last year, I passed it along to a good friend of mine who enjoys cigars too and didn't own one yet.

Definitely lose the analog hygrometer. Mine never worked properly. The one that came with the 500 count didn't work either so I purchased, and have been VERY pleased with, the Calibre III hygrometer:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Humido.../dp/B0007W1EA6

FWIW, I bought a Xikar (Madelaine) brand, round hygrometer and it's never worked right either. The temperature is bang on but with 24 hours of calibrating it, it starts losing it on the RH. I have it in my humi along with a Calibre III and it drops about 1% a week (but hey, it still shows the correct temp........LOL) so I'll never buy another one of those.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thanks CptnBlues63

I purchased this hydrometer and these beads for the humidor.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...rod=DHYG_ROUND

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...p?prod=HT_1_70

I am assuming I should be good to go. The humi has been seasoning for about a week now.

Thoughts on this set up?

Blog Entries

How big is your humi? The tube you linked to is for 540 cu. in. and it doesn't hurt to have a little more than you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Please don't spend $80 on a box of Havana Honeys. I need a Padron right now just for that post alone. Your $80 will go farther (meaning, you'll get better quality sticks) that you'll ENJOY smoking with the newbie sampler here on the board.

Don't worry about 14 days / 2 days / whatever. Put beads in there (for a humi that size, just get this guy - you'll be fine), and forget about the hygrometer. You'll know your beads are set as long as you keep the beads moistened with distilled water.

Welcome from central Oregon.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thanks Guys, I already bought the honeys but also have a newbie pack on the way.

I purchased a 540 cubic inch bead stick for my 540 cubic inche humi, are you saying it isnt big enough?

Blog Entries

Thanks Guys, I already bought the honeys but also have a newbie pack on the way.

I purchased a 540 cubic inch bead stick for my 540 cubic inche humi, are you saying it isnt big enough?
    It never hurts to have more beads than required....sorta functions like an extra buffer to absorb swings more rapidly.

Thread Information