Thread: Metal humidor?

Default Metal humidor?

Is there any problem with using metal for a humidor? Any smells imparted on the cigars, etc? I did a search of the forum, and didn't see any discussion on this topic yet.

I am looking into assembling my first humi, and I have some nice old-school film canisters (see image) that are just taking up space right now and are about the right size. Trying to decide if they would work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010357.JPG 
Views:	502 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	2720
    imnotpete.com (tech/general blog)
    ink.imnotpete.com (creative blog)

Humidors have one major function: keeping the correct relative humidity consistently. To this end, it must have a good seal. Spanish Cedar is often used as a liner as it can hold and release moisture with minimal warping.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Looks like you'll have two potential issues. One would be a seal to keep in the moisture. The second would be keeping the 70% rH locked up inside of a metal container (i.e. potential for rust).

Otherwise it sounds like a grand idea!

Blog Entries

I've seen a few metal lined humidors at antique stores and online from estate sales.
    Kinda like these
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/72474585...midor-mahogany
    Never used one myself, so I can't say if it works or doesn't work. But it doesn't seem too uncommon to have a metal lined humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdre977 View Post
    I've seen a few metal lined humidors at antique stores and online from estate sales.
    Kinda like these
    Never used one myself, so I can't say if it works or doesn't work. But it doesn't seem too uncommon to have a metal lined humidor.
    I suppose that's pretty dependent upon what kind of metal is used to line the humidor. Something that does not corrode would be awfully nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tdre977 View Post
    Kinda like these
    I love old stuff. I've look at some vintage Dunhill humidors that are metal lined. They were in ruff condition so I never pulled the trigger. I love vintage tobacco , but I'm not so good with the reconditioning. I tend to get pissed and brake things ( bad Irish temper).
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Copper/brass or glass in the ones that I've seen.

8. Default

I've made humidors out of 50 cal. ammo cans. Steam clean, line with cedar and they work great with an outstanding seal. Rust has never been an issue because they're painted with some kind of indestructible paint, probably expoy based.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    I've made humidors out of 50 cal. ammo cans. Steam clean, line with cedar and they work great with an outstanding seal. Rust has never been an issue because they're painted with some kind of indestructible paint, probably expoy based.
    They work fantastic as long as in a drunken haze you do not try to light up a 50 cal round from inside the ammo can humidor!

Ah, right, rust. I hadn't considered that part - was only thinking of how the case could harm the cigars, not the other way around. There is already some rust on the outside, but looks like only a bit at a seam on the inside. Think I'll go with it, and if it seems to get worse over time I'll just fall back on a coolidor instead. Now to get the other supplies...

Many thanks for the input, everyone.
    imnotpete.com (tech/general blog)
    ink.imnotpete.com (creative blog)

Thread Information