Thread: mad mad mad

Blog Entries

Default mad mad mad

Camacho Triple Maduro

Summary: If all you ever wanted was Maduro, then smoke this cigar.

MADURO
    'Maduro' is one of those terms that sounds easy to understand, but has a twist. The first use of 'Maduro' was only to define a darker shade of wrapper, and it is still used in this way. The second, and now common, use is for a wrapper leaf that has been specially grown and/or fermented to be darker. This processing is hard on the leaf, so thick leaves are used. These can be leaves from higher up on the plant, and/or from a variety that naturally has thicker and darker leaves, for example, Connecticut Broadleaf or Mexican San Andreas.

The primary characteristic of Maduro wrappers from those varieties is a simple, slightly rich, sweetness. The task for the blender is to introduce complexity (or not) with complimentary filler tobaccos. In most maduro cigars, a mild-medium blend is used, giving a pleasant and unchallenging smoke that allows the wrapper's sweetness to dominate. However, the trend towards medium-full cigars has affected Maduro's as well: Padron and CAO Brazilia being two popular examples.

At the low end of cigar production, steam (IIRC) machines nicknamed "Madur-o-matics" can create Maduro leaf in hours. Dyed and/or oiled wrappers entice - and stain the fingers of - the unwary budget maduro smoker.

Just as there are cigar smokers who love Cameroon wrappers, there are those that are Maduro fanatics. Myself, I only have some Padron Maduro's. That's not to say that other Maduro's aren't good, just that I am only occasionally in the mood for a Maduro, and I like Padron's.

CAMACHO and MADURO
    The Eiroa family started growing tobacco in the Honduras in the early 1960's. They purchased the Camacho brand from Simon Camacho's estate in 1994. The brand has evolved, with an emphasis on fuller-bodied premium cigars. Unlike a competing company that made a fancy DVD covering cigars from seed to soul, the Eiroas' grow their own tobacco and make their own cigars - they even make the boxes. (The Eiroas' also market heavily that they are the only growers of the original Corojo seed (outside Cuba). People like Robaina say the original Corojo seed gives the best taste. However, the Eiroa's are not growing the seed anywhere near the Corojo farm (in Cuba, like Robaina), so any inference is a stretch.)

The Camacho main-line Maduro is the SLR Maduro. To me, it is a good Maduro, similar to the competing CAO Brazilia. However, of the two, I prefer the CAO. Camacho also has a Corojo Maduro.

For a premium-line Maduro, Camacho has the Triple Maduro. The "triple" refers to 1) filler, 2) binder, and 3) wrapper, being all Maduro. Sounds like a recipe for an overwhelmingly sweet cigar to me. Christian Eiroa says the cigar is a "medium to full-bodied cigar, but it's so complex that you really don't know what the strength is."

CAMACHO TRIPLE MADURO
    I took this cigar in the box pass earlier this year out of curiousity. It was the ideal cigar to take in a pass - one that I would never have purchased, but wanted to smoke as soon as I saw it put. Thanks Will!

As expected, the cigar was dark and oily everywhere. It was also a very noticeably heavier cigar then normal. What also quickly became noticeable was that the cigar was going to be a royal pain in the a*s to light. A soft-flame lighter was not effective. A triple-jet torch was deployed, and it took a while.

Flavour was, well, Maduro flavour. The flavour was not overwhelmingly sweet. The cigar seemed to only have a bit more sweetness when compared to a 'regular' Maduro cigar like the SLR. It was richer than a 'regular' Maduro, but not too rich. An agreeable medium-bodied cigar - and yes, one doesn't really know what the strength is. Only after smoking does the nicotene hit. I'm not sure if that was due to complexity, or to the sugar in the Maduro tobacco.

In terms of basic tastes: Sweetness was strongest. Then a bit of sour, like sweet'n'sour chicken balls sour. Sometimes a hint of saltiness. No bitterness.

Also: Construction, perfect. Draw, perfect. Burn, perfect, and very, very, slow. Ash, perfect - although with a rose(?) tint. The smoke was never biting on the tongue or too hot. The cigar did not have a strong aroma.

A party trick was purging the cigar while using a lighter (and tapping off the ash beforehand). The cigar momentarily imitated a flamethrower before becoming a blue-flamed blowtorch. Definitely the biggest flames - by far - of any cigar that I've purged. (Sorry, no pics/video.)

The Camacho Triple Maduro was, ah, unique. All Maduro, just as the name means. Take just the "maduro-ness" in, say, an SLR Maduro, and smoke just that. A different, yet familiar, cigar .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CamachoTripleMaduro.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	1170  
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Very informative indeed!

I have not had the triple maduro yet but it seems like I'll give it a shot. Great explanation!

Blog Entries

Nice reveiw Craig.

Damn, that's one sharp lookin' ashtray

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Great review Craig, I have been wanting to try one of those.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Love them!

This is one of the few cigars that will still spin my head up a bit with the nicotine.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Great review. I have not had too many maduros, but I have had the brazillia by CAO, and I have to say it is one of my favorites thus far. I did not realize they used the thicker leaves because of the extra fermentation process. Very nice review. Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Well, I had another one thanks to a member. I was told at Quad State Herf that the blend had been changed on this cigar, but I can't really say. The wrapper looks different, and this cigar didn't impress me as much as the previous example.

The main reason was that the first third had a very loose draw and the cigar had a fairly large off-center stem. No touch-up was needed, but the burn line was quite slanted. The draw (and burn line) improved after that first third, and by about the halfway point, the cigar started to remind me of the previously-reviewed cigar, with rich over-flowing Maduro-ness.

The flamethrower-purge party trick returned, and by the last third, the cigar was complex enough to again live up to its super-premium price tag - although, at Anejo prices (non-gouging), I think that I'd prefer the Fuente. Overall, a unique cigar that Maduro-lovers might want to try.

Great review Craig!

I like the triple maduro's a lot. I bought 3 about a year ago and just smoked my last one a month or so back. Sadly, my B&M is having problems getting more in so getting more is on hold until they do, or someone I know makes a trip to the US and I can get them to bring me some back.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Another cigar to consider wouldd be the A. Turrent Triple Play, which, despite the Mexican brand name, is made by Altadis in Honduras using tobacco from a few countries. I haven't tried them, but the Maduro-loving guy at Quad State Herf said he liked the Triple Play better than the current Camacho Triple Mads, and the price is better as well. Something to consider.

The A. Turrent Triple Play is a nice cigar but it is not a contender when compared to Camacho Triple Maduro.
    But at half the price is a damn good cigar.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

For those that like the Camacho Triple Maduro, Holt's has a sale on them. Prices are between $119.95 - $129.95 per box of 21. Pretty good deal, but only available by the box.

Mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VancouverMark View Post
    For those that like the Camacho Triple Maduro, Holt's has a sale on them. Prices are between $119.95 - $129.95 per box of 21. Pretty good deal, but only available by the box.

Mark
    Thanks for the heads-up Mark, I was needing to get another box of these... great deal - order placed!
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Thread Information