Thread: Mexican cigars

Default Mexican cigars

My wife's going to Mexico for a vacation at the end of Nov. She's going to be staying in the "Mayan Riviera" in or around a town called Playa del Carmen.

I've tried some online searches for cigar stores in that town. While I've found info saying there are, I can't find anything specific. I did find one link saying there was a La Casa del Habano on 5th and another saying it was gone. Unless there is a LCDH store there, I'm not looking at having her bring me back any ISOM's. So I'm concentrating my search on Mexican brands.

To date, the only Mexican cigar I've had was a Te-Amo No. 4
    I actually enjoyed it and the size makes it a great yard gar for when I'm doing things or just want a quick one (they're small). So I'm going to have her look for a box of those. However, I have no clue about any other good Mexican cigars so I'm hoping some of you do.

So I'm wondering, who here has smoked a Mexican cigar (or 'cigars' plural) and enjoyed it? If you have, please respond and let me know your recommendation. I'd rather ask people I know who's opinions I trust rather than rely on the review of a complete stranger.

Thanks in advance!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

2. Default

Mexican tobacco is good in a blend for a cigar. Mexican made cigars are nasty in my opinion.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Every Mexican cigar I've ever smoked was terrible. I'd rather smoke a Garcia y Vega or a Muniemaker over of a Te Amo any day of the week.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I used to enjoy A Turrent, but haven't had one in years. Your best bet, if you wanted to try them, would be a 5er from a place like JR Cigars.

As for Playa del Carmen, unless your wife goes outside of town (not recommended), it's a giant tourist trap. There are SHITLOADS of cigar stores in the town, and they have all your basic brands, and probably a ton of fake Cubans.

There was not a LCdH when we were there in '07, but there was one in Cozumel.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Probably fake Fuente too.

Myself, I'd get some large freezer ziplocks and buy at the duty-free at the Canadian airport going out. The price won't be great, nor the selection, but it is safe and you can call ahead (when it isn't busy) and find out what boxes are there, buy, and have the cigars ready for pickup.

My wife owns a home in Playacar. The LCDH Is still there it just moved, go down 5th ave to Calle 28th walk two block towards the beach. Also on the other end of 5th ave is a Cuban cafe that sell legit cigars called La BODEGUITA del MEDIO, other than that beware. There is a store on 5th called the cigar factory that rolls there own on the spot, not bad for a $5.00 smoke.
    If lost trying to find the LCDH just ask anyone where the Mamita's beach club is, the LCDH is rite across the street.
    I know Playa del carmen like the back of my hand, any questions please PM me.
    Last edited by Paddy; 11-16-2011 at 06:41 AM.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Well then - get the new Mexican RE Edmundo Dantes Conde 54!

$800 or so a box, supposedly (11k pesos). LOL.
    Last edited by craig; 11-16-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    My wife owns a home in Playacar. The LCDH Is still there it just moved, go down 5th ave to Calle 28th walk two block towards the beach. Also on the other end of 5th ave is a Cuban cafe that sell legit cigars called La BODEGUITA del MEDIO, other than that beware. There is a store on 5th called the cigar factory that rolls there own on the spot, not bad for a $5.00 smoke.
    If lost trying to find the LCDH just ask anyone where the Mamita's beach club is, the LCDH is rite across the street.
    I know Playa del carmen like the back of my hand, any questions please PM me.
    Thanks a ton Paddy, that's awesome news!

I was really hoping someone had been there and knew the score. I'll pass along the directions (and the rest of the info) to my wife and the list of cigars I want. Since she's going with a friend and coworker, I'm hoping I can talk her into bringing back 100 cigars....we'll see......LOL

I have a couple more questions so I'll PM you.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I've found some Te Amo international series of cigars that i've really come to like. I would scout out some of those bad boys while i was in Mexico.

More importantly, i'd spend the majority of my time trying to find the elusive brown breasted matress thrasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Lincoln View Post
    I've found some Te Amo international series of cigars that i've really come to like. I would scout out some of those bad boys while i was in Mexico.

More importantly, i'd spend the majority of my time trying to find the elusive brown breasted matress thrasher.
    What's that ? A Mexican hooker?
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

richard william Guest

I am a great cigar lover..... I'd like to know where to get those mexican cigars from...... Btw have you tried those electronic health cigarettes, a friend recommended those to me.... Thanks......

Thread Information