Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bang for the buck....

1. Question Best bang for the buck....

Howdy all,

I'm new to this forum and obviously this is my first post. I've been smokin stoagies for 6 years now, and I have smoked everything from Swisher Sweets ( ) to some choice ISOM sticks. I'm always trying new brands and I hardly ever buy a box of smokes. To me there's just too much out there to settle on ONE! I currently have a box of Esplendidos though, and a few Buccaneeros, Fuentes, RyJ, Punchs, Puros Indios, VSGs, Padrons, Camachos, Trilogies, CAOs, and some Carlos Toranos.

I have long since left SS behind me, but I'm always looking for a quality smoke that is "worth" what I paid for it. Now I realize that everyone has their own idea of worth and not everyone can afford the same cigars. I don't mind spending money on cigars because I enjoy them, but I also like to feel like I'm getting the most for my money......

So, my question to you is: What cigar is the best value? For me, I've been partial to Trilogys lately.....but I'm kinda partial to torpedoes to begin with. I really like the different shapes....they seem to smoke better.....don't know why...???

Last edited by 55Kingpin; 07-17-2005 at 09:35 PM.

Welcome to Csmokers brother!

My vote for bang for the buck cigar is Padron 6000 maddies. At $6.00 a stick, they're worth every penny to me.

I wouldn't classify these as bang for the buck smokes at all but definately worth it when you find them near msrp: OPUS X

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

3. Default

Thanks for the reply.......

I'm actually hoping to compile a list of all the responses and see what I have and have not smoked.....More than likely, if I get a nice list going, I'll report back and do a review of all the sticks.....at least this is what I was thinking.

Padron 6000 maddies are on the list to pick up tomorrow......I just hope the local shop has some.
    The heat around the corner....

Default I would say.....

the following:

Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Sun Grown @ $5.00 a cigar
    Arturo Fuente Cuban Belicoso Sun Grown @ $6.00 a cigar
    Punch Deluxe Chateau L in EMS @ $6.00 a cigar
    Punch Deluxe Corona Gorda in EMS @ $5.00
    Torano Exodus 1959 Silver Grand Churchill @ $5.00 a cigar (but you know that already)
    Romeo y Julieta Churchill en Tubo OR
    Romeo y Julieta Clemenceau en Tubo both at around $5.00 per cigar
    Joya de Nicaragua Antano Series all at around $5.00 (these are real head kickers)
    Gurkha Expedition Churchill also at around $5.00
    La Gloria Cubana Serie R..... oooooo ..... closer to $7.00 a cigar (another GREAT head kicker)
    Rocky Patel Toro Sun Grown @ $6.00 a cigar (actually better than the Fuentes!)
    Bauza Fabuloso @ $5.00 a cigar

My head hurts now.......

5. Default

Whoa!!! Nice list......

The hardest thing for me is remembering the EXACT name of certain sticks. It gets frustrating because when I smoke something I like I'd like to be able to tell people the exact name, but I usually just have to point it out when we go to the shop......it makes ya a little

Quote Originally Posted by 55Kingpin
    Whoa!!! Nice list......

The hardest thing for me is remembering the EXACT name of certain sticks. It gets frustrating because when I smoke something I like I'd like to be able to tell people the exact name, but I usually just have to point it out when we go to the shop......it makes ya a little

That's natural, when I first started I was like WTF, I couldn't remember all the names, brands and such, but it's like anything else. You will get used to it.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

7. Default

As far as band for the buck goes, I would recommend the following:

1. Jose L Piedra - Nacionales
    2. Don Thomas - Churchill

If you are willing to let a box of stogies sit for 1-3 years, I would also recommend:

3. No. 265 Churchill's (Really Cheap but actually good with age!)
    4. Bances - Palma de Luxe (Tis is probably the cheapest tubed cigar out there but with a couple years of age it is excellent!!! It is also acceptable virgin.)

Best of luck and it is nice to see you on the forum!!!
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

8. Default

Yeah, the brands and names will become second nature to you soon enough... Also, dont feel bad about asking someone at your local smoke shop about a particular brand or name. Most smoke shop people are really helpful and they would rather you ask a question before buying than have you buy something you dont want. (Remember, I stress MOST smoke shops!)
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

9. Default

I once knew girl named Sally. She was a good bang for a buck. Ooooppppsss...Wrong bang.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    I once knew girl named Sally. She was a good bang for a buck. Ooooppppsss...Wrong bang.
    and wrong board
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it never gets you anywhere,.....write that down" -Van Wilder

Default bang for the buck

I always go with the 3X3's for a good smoke that is cheap. I have been told they are davidoff seconds, something to do with the wrapper. I pay 2.99 for them.

In response to you liking difference shapes, I have always liked Partagas "S" series. They are all figurado shapes so I believe they are all free rolled without molds. The couple I have smoked were all good.

Chateau Fuente SG!

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Island Epicurean
    Yeah, the brands and names will become second nature to you soon enough... Also, dont feel bad about asking someone at your local smoke shop about a particular brand or name. Most smoke shop people are really helpful and they would rather you ask a question before buying than have you buy something you dont want. (Remember, I stress MOST smoke shops!)

I guess my statement made me sound like a total NEWB, but that's really not the case. I have no problem remembering brands, but particular (specific) names of the cigars within that brand. I guess I couldn't give you the EXACT name of one of my first fav. smokes, it was a RyJ Torpedo. Now if that is the actual name I do not know (or care, so I guess that's why I have an even harder time remembering).

I'm gonna miss my local (not now) shop b/c I became good friends with the owner.....he was/is extremely knowledgable. "VTcrosscut" knows who I am talkin about I bet.

14. Default

Looks like I've got a nice list going....and I'll be stoppin by my local shop to see what they've got in.....

Thanks so far fellas

15. Default

I picked up a few sticks today:

A Fuente Short Story
    A Fuente 8-5-8
    Padron 6000 maduro
    Partagas Serie S
    Punch Champion
    Punch Deluxe Chateau L
    CAO MX2
    CAO Italia Gondolla
    Rocky Patel The Edge
    Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro

I got a couple of each....I'm actually gonna put out an Excel spreadsheet (wish I would've done this years ago).

Hopefully we can keep the list goin. I'm willin to try any cigar (if I can get my hands on it), so maybe this spreadsheet will be useful.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 55Kingpin
    Rocky Patel The Edge
    The Edge Maduro TOrpedo is one of my favorites and can be had for under $5.

Here are some others I think are great cigars for the money.

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Stories (Small but oh so tasty)
    Carlos Torano Casa Torano (Best Mild to Medium cigar on the market)
    Belmore Cameroon Selection (hex turned me on to these addictive smokes)

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Jack
    The Edge Maduro TOrpedo is one of my favorites and can be had for under $5.
    I paid 5.35!!!

I will add the others to my list! Thanks
    Last edited by 55Kingpin; 07-18-2005 at 10:04 PM.

I faced the same problem! I slowly graduated to the bolder cigars and really enjoyed the Fuente VSG's, but couldn't afford to smoke them regularly, let alone find them. A cigar store pointed me to the Fonseca Sungrown Cedars. Wonderful smoke, sold construction, and reasonable in price on the net ($76.00) a box from Bonita Smoke Shop. Been smoking them now for years, and never looked back. I still enjoy an occassional VSG in a shop, but my everyday smoke remains the Fonseca.
    A woman is a woman, but a cigar is a smoke...

One smoke I enjoy a good bit is the Sancho Panza Double Maduro Cervantes. This is a boxed pressed maduro from Honduras that can be had for about $4 as a single, and for cheaper than $3 a stick if you buy a box! IMO, it's a good smoke and a real bargain.

I tried Jericho Corona today and it was great cigar for a buck. I got 5 pack of Jericho for $5 at CBid.

Thread Information