Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapped or unwrapped that is the question!

Default Wrapped or unwrapped that is the question!

Seeing as how I have recently returned to the time honored experience that we know as cigar smoking, I find myself developing a more refined taste. As such, I have purchased a couple small humidors and as I learn to use them properly, I have noticed differing views on whether you should leave them celloed or store them bare.
    Now I don't have a huge collection, probably around 70 or 80 sticks, with the oldest reaching the two month mark. I have several brands and I am worried about marrying the tastes.
    I don't have a problem leaving the cello on if the cigar will still age properly, but was wondering if they tended to dry out because of the plastic.
    Right now I have them bare with plastic seperating the different brands.
    Please let me know if this is bad before I ruin my investment.
    Thanks.
    One of the most ironic parts of growing old is sitting down and enjoying a smoke with the children who used to sneak around behind your back to smoke a cigarette.

Blog Entries

Cellophane is not plastic, it's cellophane.

You have nothing to worry about.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I had seen one site that suggested opening the ends of the cellophane wrap. does it matter?
    I didn't figure it made too big of a difference, because the cigar stores I have been to keep theirs wrapped, but just wondered about long term storage.
    One of the most ironic parts of growing old is sitting down and enjoying a smoke with the children who used to sneak around behind your back to smoke a cigarette.

Blog Entries

Keep the cello on just like in the B&M until you are aging boxes of cigars for years, and by then you may have an educated opinion as to when and why the cello should come off - or stay on.

last time I unwrapped I had a kid. No more for me!

Cellophane is derived from cellulose, a plant product, which breathes and allows moisture to pass through.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

7. Default

I was randomly browsing and came across this, great info! I have always kept the "plastic" which I now know is cellophane on my cigars and have always wondered if it was ok, seeing as how I didn't think moisture could get through plastic. If I ever decide to "age" my cigars for long periods I might rethink it, but for now this relieves my worry.
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain

I find it funny how people worry so much about these kinds of things when we first start out. I was exactly the same, treating my sticks like babies and spending nights researching on every little detail. Later you will find it a lot more enjoyable to just let things be. It takes years, like 5-10 to put age on a cigar, and you might not even notice with the better ones which age before they even get to you.

Like RH and most things with this hobby it's subjective. Personally I keep the cello on to protect the cigar from damage against other ones. When I first started out I treated them as a pet, because in a sense you are taking care of them. Once you get a nice collection and system going you will start to enjoy the actual sticks rather than the hobby of caring for cigars.

Cello is your friend, it adds a level of protection. I wish more of my favorites came packed in cello.
    The only thing I do is keep two desk tops for loose cigars. One for cello/tubos and one for naked cigars.
    You will soon out grown this foolishness.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by victory01 View Post
    I find it funny how people worry so much about these kinds of things when we first start out. I was exactly the same, treating my sticks like babies and spending nights researching on every little detail. Later you will find it a lot more enjoyable to just let things be. It takes years, like 5-10 to put age on a cigar, and you might not even notice with the better ones which age before they even get to you.

Like RH and most things with this hobby it's subjective. Personally I keep the cello on to protect the cigar from damage against other ones. When I first started out I treated them as a pet, because in a sense you are taking care of them. Once you get a nice collection and system going you will start to enjoy the actual sticks rather than the hobby of caring for cigars.
    Exactly. If it comes in cello, keep it in cello, if not, well, then don't. Simple.

When I started smoking cigars I already knew the cellophane allowed humidity to pass through (in either direction)

As a result, whenever I buy cigars with the cello on, I leave it on (and always have) because I figure it will protect the wrapper from being damaged during transit or while moving them around in the humi which I do from time to time when I have to rearrange the cigar because I've bought more.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

thanks for the info

The best advise I had with these questions was to learn how to physically examine the cigars, knowing whether is it too soft, too brittle, etc. Some how these are still things that I am learning myself. And all of a sudden these issues with wrappers, RH settings, etc all goes away because you can work it out yourself. So regardless of your location that you are living at, from the tropics to the arctic, high or low altitude, wrapper on or off, you can slowly work out the best way to keep your cigars in the best condition for smoking.

littlecigarwarehouse Guest

Default Purpose of a cigar humidor

The Purpose of a cigar humidor is
    1. Keep cigars fresh and ready to smoke
    2. To keep the air within the box moist.

So in my opinion you should wrapped the sticks.

15. Default

where are you at in Rock Hill ? Im about 30 min away .
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

What's the matter littlewhore, you forgot to add your shill. Here, let me fix it for you:

Quote Originally Posted by littlecigarwarehouse View Post
    The Purpose of a cigar humidor is
    1. Keep cigars fresh and ready to smoke
    2. To keep the air within the box moist.

So in my opinion you should wrapped the sticks.

And by the way we sell cigar humidors at our half-assed hole-in-the-wall store called Little Cigar Whorehouse, check us out on line at:

www.imadumbass.com
    From now on, would you please be so kind as to make your posts in English? English that we can at least make sense out of? Thanks in advance for that.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

I take it cc86 the winter solstice celebration did not go well this year.

sorry,brother...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I take it cc86 the winter solstice celebration did not go well this year.

sorry,brother...
    Actually it was the best ever! I got cigars for a gift which has never happened before so life is good! Why do you think otherwise?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Actually it was the best ever! I got cigars for a gift which has never happened before so life is good! Why do you think otherwise?
    you seem so testy these days!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    you seem so testy these days!
    "These days?" I've never had any patience for spammers or psychopaths it's just that sometimes they slip by unnoticed but I happened to catch a whole net full of 'em over the last week or so.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information