Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antique Commercial Humidor Case - totally amazing!

1. Default Antique Commercial Humidor Case - totally amazing!

I own an amazing antique commercial humidor display case that was made by the Loudon Manufacturing Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The metal plate says The Loudon Cigar Case and has three copyright dates: 1915, 1916, and 1921. It is the most incredible antique I have ever owned and is made of quartersawn tiger oak. It is VERY large: 88" long, 40" high at back, 26" deep.

The most amazing part of this case is that there are nine metal levers on the back that move up and down to control the glass pieces in the front of the case, opening them to allow customers to access merchandise. It definitely has a major WOW factor!

I am considering selling this amazing collector's item and am accepting offers on it. I live in Arizona and welcome truly interested cigar afficiandos to contact me and/or come to see it. I showed it to Jeff Cayton, who owns the Tinder Box Cigar Shop in Phoenix. He said that it was the most unique cigar display case he had ever seen and that the photo I had shown him did not do it justice. I can email photos from various angles to anyone who is interested. I am posting this one for now, which I edited to get rid of the clutter in the background. I would be happy to email additional photos.
    Diane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LoudonCigarHumidorShowcase.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	2854  

Quote Originally Posted by sunny1az View Post
    I own an amazing antique commercial humidor display case that was made by the Loudon Manufacturing Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The metal plate says The Loudon Cigar Case and has three copyright dates: 1915, 1916, and 1921. It is the most incredible antique I have ever owned and is made of quartersawn tiger oak. It is VERY large: 88" long, 40" high at back, 26" deep.

The most amazing part of this case is that there are nine metal levers on the back that move up and down to control the glass pieces in the front of the case, opening them to allow customers to access merchandise. It definitely has a major WOW factor!

I am considering selling this amazing collector's item and am accepting offers on it. I live in Arizona and welcome truly interested cigar afficiandos to contact me and/or come to see it. I showed it to Jeff Cayton, who owns the Tinder Box Cigar Shop in Phoenix. He said that it was the most unique cigar display case he had ever seen and that the photo I had shown him did not do it justice. I can email photos from various angles to anyone who is interested. I am posting this one for now, which I edited to get rid of the clutter in the background. I would be happy to email additional photos.
    Diane

That's pretty incredible. Did you try to sell it on Craig's list?

3. Default

I sold a motorcycle jacket on Craigslist yesterday...Bet that case would go quick there.

Blog Entries

I saw that exact same picture on this forum before...I'm typing up a review, maybe I'll do a search later.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...ercial+humidor

look at that 'chit. Totally amazing, my brain still works. Must be all those memory card games with the kid

Uncle Tupelo

Maybe Diane should take a picture with her holding today's paper in front of it.

7. Default Another Photo

Yes, you are correct that I reused the photo of it that was posted on this forum several years ago; I found it when I was researching this company. I thought that photo was better than the one I've taken recently, which I have now attached. I also have photos of the gears inside of it that make the glass go up and down, as well as photos of the back showing the levers.

I was thinking about listing it on Craig's List tonight but got home late so might do that in the morning.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a fair price? I have never seen another one like this one, which was from Flagstaff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CigarHumidorDisplayCase.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	2856  

Blog Entries

This thing only has value to someone who owns a cigar store, a fair price would be about $300.00. What does it have for a humidification unit? If it has none then the price would drop to about $100.00.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Wow BW! That is good. Nice catch. It was made for a shop I do not see anything so unique about it other then most people wouldn't have it in their home. I'd try to get a shop to barter with you for stogies.
    Last edited by cinda; 01-11-2012 at 06:03 AM.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    This thing only has value to someone who owns a cigar store, a fair price would be about $300.00. What does it have for a humidification unit? If it has none then the price would drop to about $100.00.
    I concur with this value. If you sell it locally and the person can move it themselves you may pick up a few more dollars, but shipping it anywhere will not be cheap.

11. Default It's a Keeper

I really love this cigar humidor display case and, after reading all of the comments, have decided that I would rather keep it and use it as a display case for my collections.

I really love this cigar humidor display case and, after reading all of the comments, have decided that I would rather keep it and use it as a display case for my collections.
    Craig's list didn't work out?

Yep, craigs list. Based on it's age, it being in dry climate area and all the glass you would probably need to put it in a humidity controlled room.

Or try out that American Restoration people. It would be cool on their show and they would make it work. Might cost you some coin but it should increase the value.

Or Pawn it to pawn stars.

Edit: Or follow my advice on your original thread BW linked us to and Do your self a favor and keep it.

Blog Entries

My point is, if this is the same person, isn't this a duplicate account?

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    My point is, if this is the same person, isn't this a duplicate account?
    He claims he's not the same person which at this point is probably impossible to prove that he is. I highly doubt we'll ever see either one of them again anyway as he now claims he's going to keep the display case.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    He claims he's not the same person which at this point is probably impossible to prove that he is. I highly doubt we'll ever see either one of them again anyway as he now claims he's going to keep the display case.
    Where do they claim to not be the same person? Did I miss that?

Uncle Tupelo

They are the same. If not, then the guy is trying to scam people.

Blog Entries

Yes, you are correct that I reused the photo of it that was posted on this forum several years ago; I found it when I was researching this company. I thought that photo was better than the one I've taken recently, which I have now attached.
    Here you go BW in case you missed it? smilesssssssssss

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    Here you go BW in case you missed it? smilesssssssssss
    Yeah, I read that. It could be craftily worded to mean "I forgot my old login, and I'm trying to hock this thing again, and I found my old picture of it posted on the forum years ago. It's a better picture than the recent one I took" I also think that second picture they posted is from the flikr library posted in the original, but they're all dead now, and there's no way to tell.

My point is, same person / two different screen names = multiple account.

But alas, I'm with CC now. Who cares?

Will

Uncle Tupelo

20. Default

Yes, you are correct that I reused the photo of it that was posted on this forum several years ago; I found it when I was researching this company. I thought that photo was better than the one I've taken recently, which I have now attached. I also have photos of the gears inside of it that make the glass go up and down, as well as photos of the back showing the levers.

I was thinking about listing it on Craig's List tonight but got home late so might do that in the morning.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a fair price? I have never seen another one like this one, which was from Flagstaff.
    Nice case - sunny1az !!!

I have the 4-section version of this myself, but in solid Mahogany (Heavy Beast) w/ 12 levers: Used it in my Cigar Shop in Calif, but only to display Cutters, Cases, Lighters etc.
    (These do not humidify well by modern standards...originally they used Tin-buckets of water in the lower portion of the cases, as was the norm for humidifcation back in the 20-30's.)
    I kept mine when I sold my shop last fall, and am going to use it to showcase my tobacciana-collectables at home once the remodel is done...I just couldn't part with mine either!

As for the company that made these, and held the patents on them, all I could find was: Loudon Manufacturing Co., Grand Rapids (1920-1927)
    I've seen one other quarter-sawn oak version in Texas, about the same size as yours, and they were asking $2,700 for it...I would have bought it, but it didn't match the Mohagany of mine.

I had mine appraised by an collector of antique tobacciana in Northern Calif (His family has been in the tobacco business for well over 100 years.... I'm jealous of his collection), and
    he seemed to think that in a 'fair economy', my 9.5ft case sould be worth about $8,500-$10,500 - No telling what either of our cases are worth in this economy!

Valuations are always about the buyer, and the buyer's interest...I had alot of interest in mine when I had a Cigar Shop, but probably would not pay the same price for it now just for using
    in my own home. Fair guess in my estimate for your case: $600-$800 if I was buying an antique for my home - $1,000-$1,200 if I was trying to bring some nostalgia to my shop!

I'll upload some pics of mine if I can figure out how to do this...(The Pics are from the antique shop in Columbus Ohio where I bought it from in 2010.)
    Otherwise, here's a link to them:
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3b528...94FC6993%21497

Thread Information