Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questional Thread Tags

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    No, not imo.
    No, there are already rules in place as regards the discussion of Cuban cigars.
    No, there are already ban rules in place for this board. Further, please show me where I said the tags were in "bad taste."

Frankly, I don't really give a shit if you think I'm overreacting.

Did you even see the tags Bill? If not, how do you know you wouldn't agree with me? If you did, what were they?
    I'm sorry for inferring that you said they were in bad taste, I probably should have said something like "tags that you had concerns with."

I saw something in the tags that caught my attention however, not enough to be ingrained in my memory or to give a second thought to therefore I cannot remember the exact words. In my opinion, they weren't worth getting all excited over but again, that's just my opinion and you have your opinion and I have mine.

There's no need for you to get defensive. In my opinion, you're overreacting, I'm sorry if my opinion offends you.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I'm sorry for inferring that you said they were in bad taste, I probably should have said something like "tags that you had concerns with."

I saw something in the tags that caught my attention however, not enough to be ingrained in my memory or to give a second thought to therefore I cannot remember the exact words. In my opinion, they weren't worth getting all excited over but again, that's just my opinion and you have your opinion and I have mine.

There's no need for you to get defensive. In my opinion, you're overreacting, I'm sorry if my opinion offends you.
    Nope, not offended in the least. I answered your questions as best I could, and commented on the fact you thought I was overreacting. I don't know how you could overreact more than to suggest the removal of the feature in it's entirety.....but that was your suggested solution, not mine.

For me it was over when sarge took the only action available to him and removed them. Frankly, I would have much rather the individual who posted them being exposed and required to explain himself.....but, evidently that isn't possible.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't classify my suggestion to remove the feature in it's entirety an "overreaction" only a possible solution to what some see as a potential problem. As I said, I didn't give the questionable "tags" much thought however if these "tags" are causing other members angst then maybe Hex should consider removing the feature.

I personally don't see a problem but for those who do see a problem, removing the ability to "tag" threads is a possible solution, not an "overreaction" in my opinion.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't classify my suggestion to remove the feature in it's entirety an "overreaction" only a possible solution to what some see as a potential problem. As I said, I didn't give the questionable "tags" much thought however if these "tags" are causing other members angst then maybe Hex should consider removing the feature.

I personally don't see a problem but for those who do see a problem, removing the ability to "tag" threads is a possible solution, not an "overreaction" in my opinion.
    Ok. Do I understand correctly that, in your opinion, it's an overreaction to remove specific tags, based on a members specific complaint and a moderators review, and not an overreaction to disable the entire feature and deprive all users of the convenience because of the same complaint?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Ok. Do I understand correctly that, in your opinion, it's an overreaction to remove specific tags, based on a members specific complaint and a moderators review, and not an overreaction to disable the entire feature and deprive all users of the convenience because of the same complaint?
    Your question is confusing. My opinion is that if the "tag" feature is going to cause some members angst then maybe Hex should consider removing it. I think you're opening up a whole can of worms if your suggestion is to file complaints with moderators for review for any "tags" that people don't like.

As far as "depriving all users of the convenience" I think a very small percentage of the members even utilize whatever "convenience" there is so I think removing the feature and it's potential problems far outweighs any "convenience" that only a handful of members even know about let alone utilize.

I say remove the "tags" in their entirety, we got along fine without them and I don't even remember when this feature was added. As I mentioned earlier, I have yet to see any other forums that I'm a member of or have viewed that have this "tag" feature.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 12-28-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

For what it's worth, I have used the tag feature for all the mega review thread and have found it helpful for quickly finding those threads.

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/tags.php?tag=mega+review

Bill, it's kind of like that red X image you were using, except by using tags finding them later is much faster. If you started tagging all the funny meltdown threads with "red x" or "bills favs" or "meltdown highlights" it would be easy to go back and laugh at all those threads when you're bored, or reference to them for future entitled newbs.

I say keep them, and if someone notices a tag that is out of line, just report it. No biggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

7. Default

Looks like there is a way to ID tags...I'll try it later when I get home. Damn droid keys are too damn small for my fading eyes.

Blog Entries

Your question is confusing. My opinion is that if the "tag" feature is going to cause some members angst then maybe Hex should consider removing it. I think you're opening up a whole can of worms if your suggestion is to file complaints with moderators for review for any "tags" that people don't like.

As far as "depriving all users of the convenience" I think a very small percentage of the members even utilize whatever "convenience" there is so I think removing the feature and it's potential problems far outweighs any "convenience" that only a handful of members even know about let alone utilize.

I say remove the "tags" in their entirety, we got along fine without them and I don't even remember when this feature was added. As I mentioned earlier, I have yet to see any other forums that I'm a member of or have viewed that have this "tag" feature.
    Ok, I don't know how to make the question any more clear.

I think your answer is here anyway. Since you don't use them, have no idea when they were brought into existence, and feel the percentage of users who do use them is very small, we don't need them and should just eliminate them to prevent instances of abuse and member angst.

I don't know why you would think a "can of worms" would be opened, since there is already a "report this post button" at the bottom of every post made on this board and all visitor comments, blog posts, etc..etc. I'm quite certain that it is used fairly frequently around here.

Anyway, our opinions are both in the thread. They happen to differ on this, and that's fine with me.

On other forums I frequent, there are certain "privileges" that are not accessible to new members. For example, one forum requires you to have a certain amount of posts before being allowed to PM. Perhaps placing a cap on the tag function at say, 500 posts or so may curb the BS. I think it's safe to say that those that are using the tag feature as it was intended have been here awhile, while the shitbirds screwing things up are new. Maybe not...

Then again, if the capability to ID those who are abusing the feature has been worked out it may be a moot point.

10. Default

I made a couple in a thread

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...e-10000-GBPbut

they werent out of line but I deleted them anyway. british cocksucker isn't bad and it suited him to a T
    The older I get ,the better I was

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    I made a couple in a thread

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...e-10000-GBPbut

they werent out of line but I deleted them anyway. british cocksucker isn't bad and it suited him to a T
    No problem with that...Not over the line here. Some things are off limits on any respectable board. You being a dad prolly know what I am getting at.

12. Default

Oh,I didnt see them but I have an idea now.
    The older I get ,the better I was

No doubt - the schmuck that added the tag was looking to stir up crap. Likely because he/she was all butt hurt over being taken to task for doing something foolish (e.g trying to seek guidance on avoiding being age verified while buying cigars online or using this community to hawk an uber rare $16k dragon humidor instead of using a place that is designed to sell such an item). Quite frankly - there should be no doubt that they exposed themselves in their first posts as being disinterested in providing anything useful to this community. It should be no surprise to anyone they left their legacy in the thread tags.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    No doubt - the schmuck that added the tag was looking to stir up crap. Likely because he/she was all butt hurt over being taken to task for doing something foolish (e.g trying to seek guidance on avoiding being age verified while buying cigars online or using this community to hawk an uber rare $16k dragon humidor instead of using a place that is designed to sell such an item). Quite frankly - there should be no doubt that they exposed themselves in their first posts as being disinterested in providing anything useful to this community. It should be no surprise to anyone they left their legacy in the thread tags.
    Again, type "relentless tool" and you'll see your quote-sake's posts come up!

I find the tags very useful, and may start using them even more now.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

After years of using Vbulletin, I never noticed tags until about six months ago and until reading this topic had no idea they could be a problem. Now I have to go back to another site and see if there's a problem there. We got the blog module at that other site and it was barely used until the spammers spotted it and started filling it up with spam and blogs with spam imbedded. I ended up turning off the blog module a few weeks ago because it was such a pain to delete/edit and no one seems to have noticed that it is gone.

Blog Entries

tonygratz, where are you in "rural Connecticut"?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Northwest hills.

Thread Information