Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questional Thread Tags

1. Default Questional Thread Tags

On a recent post several objectionable thread tags were added. Not only were they in poor taste but they could cause undue attention by authorities. This forum is wide open for the most part...The tags were completely over the line. Think before you post. I am gonna talk to hex and see if there is any way to monitor who posts thread tags. Anyone going over the line will be dealt with.

Blog Entries

Some things are just not appropriate, no matter where you are.

Blog Entries

Ken, can you as a moderator delete them? I don't know who looks at them or what they accomplish or even what the meaning of a "tag" is, sounds pretty stupid and childish to me. I just as soon remove the ability to "tag" threads altogether, reminds me too much of facespace and titter both of which I despise.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 12-27-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Ken, can you as a moderator delete them? I don't know who looks at them or what they accomplish or even what the meaning of a "tag" is, sounds pretty stupid and childish to me. I just as soon remove the ability to "tag" threads altogether, reminds me too much of facespace and titter both of which I despise.
    It's a nice feature to relevantly tag something and using search you can bring it up without searching the whole forum which often returns hundreds of results. It "guesses" at what you're trying to type too, like "TOTY 2011."
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    It's a nice feature to relevantly tag something and using search you can bring it up without searching the whole forum which often returns hundreds of results. It "guesses" at what you're trying to type too, like "TOTY 2011."
    An excellent point. Maybe the admins could create a list of possible tags and eliminate the use of custom tags. It would keep people from adding objectionable tags and make it easier to effectively search tagged threads.

6. Default

I can and did delete them...Got a pm hex's way to see if there is a way to monitor who posts them. The ones I deleted would at least call for suspension if not banishment. Some things you just can't allow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTree View Post
    An excellent point. Maybe the admins could create a list of possible tags and eliminate the use of custom tags. It would keep people from adding objectionable tags and make it easier to effectively search tagged threads.
    I disagree. This would remove responsibility from the individual for their actions, and limit responsible poster's freedom. Tags are indeed a useful tool, made more so by the ultimate customization ..basically designing ones own search tool.

Blog Entries

Admin knowing who posts which tag is enough, methinks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    I can and did delete them...Got a pm hex's way to see if there is a way to monitor who posts them. The ones I deleted would at least call for suspension if not banishment. Some things you just can't allow.
    Well then that should be put in the rules somewhere because I don't see any at the moment.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I disagree. This would remove responsibility from the individual for their actions, and limit responsible poster's freedom. Tags are indeed a useful tool, made more so by the ultimate customization ..basically designing ones own search tool.
    I was sorta thinking the same thing, but more like "I'd rather just not have tags, than pre-scrubbed tags"

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

How do you perform searches on tags?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

How do you perform searches on tags?
    "advanced search"

down closer to the bottom, there's a field for "tags"

ETA: For example, I noticed that Young Forbes‎ was being a relentless tool, so I tagged it "relentless tool" and he pops up!

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    "advanced search"

down closer to the bottom, there's a field for "tags"

ETA: For example, I noticed that Young Forbes‎ was being a relentless tool, so I tagged it "relentless tool" and he pops up!
    Okay but how do you search for a "tag" if it isn't in the "These are the 70 most-searched-for thread tags" list?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Okay but how do you search for a "tag" if it isn't in the "These are the 70 most-searched-for thread tags" list?
    Ok. It's not all the way at the bottom. It's the second section down and there's a field "tag"

Better yet, go to "advanced search" and press ctl-F then type in "tag" and look for the field.

Shit, let me just drive up there and take the ferry and show you...

Uncle Tupelo

15. Default

Well then that should be put in the rules somewhere because I don't see any at the moment.
    Gonna send you a pm Bill..

Blog Entries

I caught the tag and let a few people know but I think it was the guy in the thread that was getting his chops busted that did it. Bw your slacking on reading the board! smiles

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    I caught the tag and let a few people know but I think it was the guy in the thread that was getting his chops busted that did it. Bw your slacking on reading the board! smiles
    I saw some tags on one of those threads, but I'm not sure I saw what you saw. There was no doubt the tags I saw were childish, but not rising to the level of what I would consider "criminal". I do believe the tags should be moderated if they rise to the level of placing the forum at risk - though I also believe we have to be very careful about censoring to the point we are stifling discussion.

Not to say that all new members are strange, but for some odd reason there has been a large influx of strange new members.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I saw some tags on one of those threads, but I'm not sure I saw what you saw. There was no doubt the tags I saw were childish, but not rising to the level of what I would consider "criminal". I do believe the tags should be moderated if they rise to the level of placing the forum at risk - though I also believe we have to be very careful about censoring to the point we are stifling discussion.

Not to say that all new members are strange, but for some odd reason there has been a large influx of strange new members.
    I reported the tags to sarge and asked that either the individual who posted them be confronted, or if that wasn't possible, to remove them. The tags I saw referred to things that are specifically searched out by certain law enforcement "task forces" and could, indeed cause undue scrutiny for the forum.

Censorship is not something that I personally support, however, in specific sets of circumstances, it is not only necessary, but prudence virtually requires it, imo.

Blog Entries

I reported the tags to sarge and asked that either the individual who posted them be confronted, or if that wasn't possible, to remove them. The tags I saw referred to things that are specifically searched out by certain law enforcement "task forces" and could, indeed cause undue scrutiny for the forum.

Censorship is not something that I personally support, however, in specific sets of circumstances, it is not only necessary, but prudence virtually requires it, imo.
    Then should posters stop using the word "bomb" when we talk about gifting cigars? What about the phrase "Cuban cigars?" Should posters be subject to immediate banning since those two phrases certainly cause more "undue scrutiny for the forum" far more than any "tag" that is in your opinion in bad taste? If those certain law enforcement officials actually looked at the thread that was "tagged" with the offending words, they'd clearly see this is place has nothing to do with whatever those stupid "tags" referenced.

In my opinion, you're overreacting.

The solution is to get rid of the "tag" feature which isn't on any other cigar board or any other forum for other subjects that I've ever seen.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Then should posters stop using the word "bomb" when we talk about gifting cigars? What about the phrase "Cuban cigars?" Should posters be subject to immediate banning since those two phrases certainly cause more "undue scrutiny for the forum" far more than any "tag" that is in your opinion in bad taste? If those certain law enforcement officials actually looked at the thread that was "tagged" with the offending words, they'd clearly see this is place has nothing to do with whatever those stupid "tags" referenced.

In my opinion, you're overreacting.

The solution is to get rid of the "tag" feature which isn't on any other cigar board or any other forum for other subjects that I've ever seen.
    No, not imo.
    No, there are already rules in place as regards the discussion of Cuban cigars.
    No, there are already ban rules in place for this board. Further, please show me where I said the tags were in "bad taste."

Frankly, I don't really give a shit if you think I'm overreacting.

Did you even see the tags Bill? If not, how do you know you wouldn't agree with me? If you did, what were they?

Thread Information