Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Dust Stuff

Default Weird Dust Stuff

Hello I am new. I am from Fort Worth, I go to Texas A&M and currently am on internship in Austin. I've been smoking lightly for almost a year but got a humidor for my birthday last May and have started smoking more ever since. I have a few questions.

First off, whenever my humidifier starts to get dry, it forms some white cobweb like stuff in between the slots. My cigars look fine and it only seems to effect the humidifier itself. What's up with that?

I am also getting a bunch of different cigars and samplers. Is there any particular way to arrange them in my humidor that is better than another? I don't want them to 'marry' up to each other or anything.

Last, does anyone know anything about http://www.canadiancigar.com/? Are they good to do business with?

Thanks

I don't know what is up with your humidifier, never had any experience with anything like that. I don't think storing different cigars together will upset the taste or "marry" them. I may be wrong on that. Maybe it depends on short term vs. long term storage and I'd like to know a bit more details on the subject. One thing I can say for sure about that site is there prices are ridiculus! And, I'm curious, what is your internship about?
    Last edited by cls515; 11-17-2005 at 06:25 PM.

3. Default

Are you using tap water or distilled?

Quote Originally Posted by CuntBasketExpress2005
    Are you using tap water or distilled?
    Using distilled water

White dust: This is from minerals in the water. These minerals may be released in the mist of the humidifier and settle as fine white dust that may be small enough to enter the lungs. The health effects of this dust would depend on the types and amounts of minerals in the water. Though the U.S. government does not know if these minerals will cause any serious health problems, one should still be safe and use water with a lower mineral content and follow the manufacturer's recommendation for keeping your humidifier clean.
    Do not use tap water because it has a high mineral content—especially if you have well water. Even though distilled water may still contain some mineral content, it will probably have fewer minerals than tap water. It is important to know that not all bottled water has had the mineral taken out of it. For example, spring water, artesian water, and mineral water still contain these minerals that can lead to scale build-up and white dust.
    Pulled this off a website, maybe that is your problem...minerals in the water....

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cls515
    White dust: This is from minerals in the water. These minerals may be released in the mist of the humidifier and settle as fine white dust that may be small enough to enter the lungs. The health effects of this dust would depend on the types and amounts of minerals in the water. Though the U.S. government does not know if these minerals will cause any serious health problems, one should still be safe and use water with a lower mineral content and follow the manufacturer's recommendation for keeping your humidifier clean.
    Do not use tap water because it has a high mineral content—especially if you have well water. Even though distilled water may still contain some mineral content, it will probably have fewer minerals than tap water. It is important to know that not all bottled water has had the mineral taken out of it. For example, spring water, artesian water, and mineral water still contain these minerals that can lead to scale build-up and white dust.
    Pulled this off a website, maybe that is your problem...minerals in the water....
    there wouldn't be any minerals in the water if it was distilled

I'm thinking of switching to those beads anyway

Basket, the distilled water will still have minerals in it, just not in as high a concentration as the tap water. This is pulled from the same article:
    Use distilled water: The health impact of humidifiers depends a lot on the quality of water used in it. About 90% of compounds dissolved in water (including lead, aluminum, and asbestos) may be spewed by ultrasonic humidifiers as small particles that may result in chronic (long-term) respiratory problems. To prevent that, use distilled water in your humidifier to reduce the mineral content in the mist because distillation is the best way of removing minerals from water. Do not use tap water because it has a high mineral content—especially if you have well water. Even though distilled water may still contain some mineral content, it will probably have fewer minerals than tap water.

Default Is it permissible to address "Basket"......

as........no...no....wait a minute.........

Dude.......Dude...........DU-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-DE!!!!!

There ARE ladies on this board!

I think you're headed for a ban.

I mean personally the name doesn't truly bother me, but it may bother the ladies and that does.

I've always used distilled water. One day awhile back ago I went to fill my humidifier and when I took it out of the humi I noticed some white stuff on the wood behind it, Iquickly took it off assuming it was mold or something. It only showed up that one time. Not that this helps you out any, just letting you know you ain't the only one

bigpoppapuff Guest

could it be cocaine??......maybe your roommate is a dealer....

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    Hello I am new. I am from Fort Worth, I go to Texas A&M and currently am on internship in Austin. I've been smoking lightly for almost a year but got a humidor for my birthday last May and have started smoking more ever since. I have a few questions.

First off, whenever my humidifier starts to get dry, it forms some white cobweb like stuff in between the slots. My cigars look fine and it only seems to effect the humidifier itself. What's up with that?

I am also getting a bunch of different cigars and samplers. Is there any particular way to arrange them in my humidor that is better than another? I don't want them to 'marry' up to each other or anything.

Last, does anyone know anything about http://www.canadiancigar.com/? Are they good to do business with?

Thanks

I think your dust issue has been answered - as long as you're using distilled H2O I don't think there's enough of a problem to really worry about - just keep your temp low enough so as to not encourage mold growth - below 80.

You'd only have to compare these prices w/ those on 2-3 other sites to see that they're too high. Although you don't mention Cuban cigars directly, it's only one left click away - you'd do better here to stick around, research some old posts, listen to others' comments and get a feel for what's going on here.

Finally, welcome to the board.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

!!!
    You have got to be shitting me.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    You have got to be shitting me.
    What exactly is a Cunt Basket??

I am 12 years old, have bad acne, my penis is 2 inches long at it's fullest, and I know I will never get a date unless I pay for it. So please, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME! I am an attention whore.

At least you are an honest dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    You'd only have to compare these prices w/ those on 2-3 other sites to see that they're too high. Although you don't mention Cuban cigars directly, it's only one left click away - you'd do better here to stick around, research some old posts, listen to others' comments and get a feel for what's going on here.
    Can anyone recommend a good site from Canada, Spain, or UK, etc.?

bigpoppapuff Guest

i often stick popsicle sticks in my ass,can they be re-used?

wow!!!...i didn't see this....

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    Can anyone recommend a good site from Canada, Spain, or UK, etc.?
    Check the advertising section and look for feedback around the board.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cls515
    Basket, the distilled water will still have minerals in it, just not in as high a concentration as the tap water. This is pulled from the same article:
    Use distilled water: The health impact of humidifiers depends a lot on the quality of water used in it. About 90% of compounds dissolved in water (including lead, aluminum, and asbestos) may be spewed by ultrasonic humidifiers as small particles that may result in chronic (long-term) respiratory problems. To prevent that, use distilled water in your humidifier to reduce the mineral content in the mist because distillation is the best way of removing minerals from water. Do not use tap water because it has a high mineral content—especially if you have well water. Even though distilled water may still contain some mineral content, it will probably have fewer minerals than tap water.
    Ahh I see. So I guess after a long time there is some residue left over. I use beads so I haven't seen the long term affect on using one of those other humidifiers.

20. Default

there is really no call to be crude, but it finally answers one question I always wanted to ask.
    When the British government hands out " honours", it now makes total sense why all those politicions get the CBE for services to politics. now I don't have to wonder what it stands for anymore.
    Mr Basket.... ...there are ladies in the forum, good natured robust ladies I don't doubt, but ladies non the less.
    steel true, blade straight....Headstone of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Thread Information