Thread: Humidor Seasoning and Heartfelt Beads Question

Default Humidor Seasoning and Heartfelt Beads Question

Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded humidors from my current 40 count( more like 25 count) cheap Chinese box, to a Man o War Humidor from CI. I bid on it online and got it for $75. ( compared to the $100 price on their website i feel i didn't get taken for a ride). I have not transferred anything over yet, as i get the new humi tomorrow.

I seasoned my last humidor doing the damp sponge routine, and got it done in about 5 days. My question is, is this the best way to season my new box ? Or should i wipe it down as well.

I also ordered (at the recommendation of a friend) Heartfelt beads(in the tube) as my humidifying device. I kinda went overboard and ordered the extra large one, but being that i have only about 40 sticks currently, im not worried about losing the space.

My question is, are these heartfelts really that great ? I've had trouble with every humidifier i've tried in my old box.. Could that just be that it was cheap ? Is just one super large heartfelt going to take care of my 100 box ? or should i get one for up top too ?( i open the thing alot more then i should)

Thanks in advance. And i hope to learn alot here.

Ray

Hi, and welcome to the board.
    I too am wet behind the ears, so I can't offer much advise. However, I recently put a 1/2lb. of heartfelt beads in my coolerdor. They seem to be more than adequate for my humidor size, and are super easy to use. Also, they are holding right around ~65% humidity. I couldn't be happier with these beads. What percentage of relative humidity are your beads? I think that extra large tube will be more than sufficient for your new humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by rn6070 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded humidors from my current 40 count( more like 25 count) cheap Chinese box, to a Man o War Humidor from CI. I bid on it online and got it for $75. ( compared to the $100 price on their website i feel i didn't get taken for a ride). I have not transferred anything over yet, as i get the new humi tomorrow.

I seasoned my last humidor doing the damp sponge routine, and got it done in about 5 days. My question is, is this the best way to season my new box ? Or should i wipe it down as well.

I also ordered (at the recommendation of a friend) Heartfelt beads(in the tube) as my humidifying device. I kinda went overboard and ordered the extra large one, but being that i have only about 40 sticks currently, im not worried about losing the space.

My question is, are these heartfelts really that great ? I've had trouble with every humidifier i've tried in my old box.. Could that just be that it was cheap ? Is just one super large heartfelt going to take care of my 100 box ? or should i get one for up top too ?( i open the thing alot more then i should)

Thanks in advance. And i hope to learn alot here.

Ray
    Yes, They are that good. One XL tube is more than enough.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thanks for the responses. I went with the 65% rh beads, that's all my last humidor could really get up to and the cigars smoked great.

heartfelt beads are by far the best choice imo. Conserva gel, and HCM beads are really good choices as well. The cheapest route is Kittly Litter, however if space is an issue (which sounds like it is) they arent the best choice. Not sure what you were using for humidification before, but you may also want to consider the quality of the humidor. There are several tests you can do on you humidor to check the seal. The paper test is one of them. Im sure you can do a search on it and get some info. Also, what are you using as a hygrometer? You really have to make sure it's calibrated to get an acurate reading, but dont worry, i trust heartfelt beads more than any hygrometer. When you get the beads, take a paper plate and crease it down the middle. Open up the plate and pour the beads on to it, being careful not to spill them. Sprits (cheap sprits bottle from walmart) a little distilled water on them so about 60-70% of the beads turn clear. Take it slow, you don't need much water. Carefully pour the beads back in your tube and you're good to go. Hope this helps.

6. Default

Hey, if you want to season your humidor without taking forever you can wipe it down with distilled water and a sponge like you mentioned. You can also get a little travel spray bottle from like target for a $1 and lightly mist the entire inside with distilled water. If you don't go crazy with it you will have a nice uniform layer of moisture and you wont have any saturated areas. Do that then place a shot glass inside the humidor ( I like it cause it takes up very little floor space) and then lay a dampened sponge on top of it. Make sure you give the lid a slight wipe with a sponge and distilled water to make sure the lid has a good seal. As long as the lid is sealed good you wont lose humidity and just let the wood soak up that moisture for a couple days.
    Get a digital hygrometer and place it in there before you close it. When you charge you humidification device use a good pg solution. I use one that a buddy got online. The price is good, i never heard of it but it worked better than what I have been using. The bottle has the website ( www.cigarlube.com) on it. Just make sure you use this every 2nd or 3rd time and you should be good to go. As far as the beads go I personally do not care for them. They take up a lot of space and because they are technically a desiccant, when their internal moisture level drops to a certain point they can actually wick moisture slowly from the interior of the humidor. Not that they don't have good points, like they are great at absorbing excess humidity. Just my preference though, I am not putting them down I just prefer pg solution and gel. Hope this helps.

Thread Information