Thread: In need of some cedar for a coolidor

Default In need of some cedar for a coolidor

Hey folks,

I need to know where I can get some cedar for the coolidor I'm building. I took apart my digital temp/RH meter and it looks like I'll be able to do what I need with it.

Thanks.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    Hey folks,

I need to know where I can get some cedar for the coolidor I'm building. I took apart my digital temp/RH meter and it looks like I'll be able to do what I need with it.

Thanks.

Kris
    You really don't need it. It looks nice, but beads or even glycol solution fulfill the function of the cedar. Boxes themselves usually have plenty.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NullSmurf View Post
    You really don't need it. It looks nice, but beads or even glycol solution fulfill the function of the cedar. Boxes themselves usually have plenty.
    Yep, right on the money. If you add some trays for singles, or tear apart a couple of boxes to use the lid and bottom as trays (which is what I do) you will have all the wood you need to help regulate your humidity.

IMHO, as a result of a ton of anecdotal evidence, wood is integral for aging to maximum potential. This is why cigars from a cabinet always age better than cigars from a cooler. I've tested this myself many times.

At the least I would get some cedar veneer and go to town. Internetlumber.com carries it.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

Woodcraft.com
    Rockler.com

I got cedar from both stores for my trays.

Quote Originally Posted by pmp View Post
    IMHO, as a result of a ton of anecdotal evidence, wood is integral for aging to maximum potential. This is why cigars from a cabinet always age better than cigars from a cooler. I've tested this myself many times.

At the least I would get some cedar veneer and go to town. Internetlumber.com carries it.
    I'm gonna throw the bullshit flag on this one. Show me some of this anecdotal evidence, please.
    Last edited by Roham; 03-20-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Bruce

Hanlon's Razor

cedar veneer? Nah... I agree that it may help with the aging process but slowly accumulating cedar inserts from boxes etc should be enough. In fact I have a bunch of left overs.... I'll send 'em for free if ya need 'em... PM me your addy....

Roham
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

I'm gonna throw the bullshit flag on this one. Show me some of this anecdotal evidence, please.

I think it may help with retaining moisture so when you open and close your humidor/coolidor the wood let's out the moisture to stabilize the humidity much faster then with out it present... Just a thought....

Oh, and btw Smurf, I accidentally hit "edit" instead of quote on your post so that's why it says I "edited" your post
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    I think it may help with retaining moisture so when you open and close your humidor/coolidor the wood let's out the moisture to stabilize the humidity much faster then with out it present... Just a thought....

Oh, and btw Smurf, I accidentally hit "edit" instead of quote on your post so that's why it says I "edited" your post
    Not sure I would have even noticed. Of course, I've never done that on any board I've moderated.

My only point is disputing an absolute. There is usually enough mass of cedar in boxes. The biggest benefit for adding veneer or shelves in coolidors is aesthetics.
    Bruce

Hanlon's Razor

I've had cigars from both a humidor and a coolidor, and I like the hints of cedar from the cigars that came from a humidor.

Roham, I appreciate the offer. I'll PM you my address and if I owe you anything for postage please let me know and I'll send something your way.

Kris

Not sure I would have even noticed. Of course, I've never done that on any board I've moderated.

My only point is disputing an absolute. There is usually enough mass of cedar in boxes. The biggest benefit for adding veneer or shelves in coolidors is aesthetics.

I have to disagree on this. Spanish cedar is used to add flavor to cigars. This is pretty established. The cedar in boxes isn't nearly enough. If you don't believe me that is fine. I have seen evidence of this when I smoke a cigar from one of my humidors vs a cigar from my coolerdor. The coolerdor is a good place to store cigars but they age so much better in a cabinet. Once again this is pretty subjective and can only be backed by anecdotal evidence so take it with a grain of salt.

Blog Entries

Well, I'll probably never know the difference since I highly doubt a cabinet is in my future unless I will the Lotto.

I cannot imagine that, since there are many boxes inside my coolers and all my cigars are in boxes or trays, all of which are made of spanish cedar that I would possibly need more cedar to properly age my cigars. Shit, when I open the damn things they smell strongly of tobacco and............wood.

No doubt that the wood helps with RH control imho, but beyond that, I'm skeptical of its actual benefit to aging.

I've wondered the same thing. But then I think for the RH, cedar acts like a buffer that helps maintain a constant humidity by containing the moisture when a humidor is opened. I'm sure there is a substantial amount of moisture in the cedar. Hence the reason to properly wipe down a new humi because the cedar soaks up so much moisture.
    For the aging, this is pretty informative: http://cigars.optempo.com/tag/cedar/

Also, some cigar companies choose to wrap certain ones in a cedar sleeve. Surely there's a better reason than appearance alone.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 03-26-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pmp View Post
    I have to disagree on this. Spanish cedar is used to add flavor to cigars. This is pretty established. The cedar in boxes isn't nearly enough. If you don't believe me that is fine. I have seen evidence of this when I smoke a cigar from one of my humidors vs a cigar from my coolerdor. The coolerdor is a good place to store cigars but they age so much better in a cabinet. Once again this is pretty subjective and can only be backed by anecdotal evidence so take it with a grain of salt.
    Subjective, yes. Knock yourself out and buy as much as you want.
    Bruce

Hanlon's Razor

So, I built up my coolerdor with cedar boxes I picked up from local cigar shops as was suggested in some threads here. Only thing is it smells a bit like ashtray since all the local shops have smoking in the store, it's taken on the odor. Anyone think this will be a big issue, or will it not be enough to impart a bad flavor to the cigars?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nathanl View Post
    So, I built up my coolerdor with cedar boxes I picked up from local cigar shops as was suggested in some threads here. Only thing is it smells a bit like ashtray since all the local shops have smoking in the store, it's taken on the odor. Anyone think this will be a big issue, or will it not be enough to impart a bad flavor to the cigars?
    Spanish Cedar from Rockler

The ashtray scent would turn me off. Cigars adapt to their surroundings, so I wouldn't chance it. Somebody else linked to rockler for spanish cedar.

Yeah, the stuff out of boxes is free, but if its making your smoke immediately taste like an ashtray, I get new stuff, or scrap it altogether.

Also, a local sawmill or millwright may be able to get you more, for a better price.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

spanish cedar isn't that expensive. Just make sure you wear a dust mask when you cut it. The dust is irritating to your nose and lungs.

18. Default

I'm late to the discussion, but I've had good luck (so far) with my Coolidor in which I use 4 spanish cedar trays from a cigar shop online. $10 each, great for keeping singles organized!

Late?? Your waking the dead
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information