Thread: RH Question

1. Default RH Question

I am seasoning my first humidor and have wiped the insides of the box with semi-wet sponge, filled the humidifier with distilled water for 5 minutes, and placed the sponge on top of a zip lock bag in the humidor. This method supposidely is an easy way to get the humidor seasoned in several days. The hygrometer is also calibrated. After one night sitting, the hygrometer reads about 82% and has declined to 80% within the past 5 hours, I've checked the sponge and it is still full of water...Is it normal for the RH to drop like it is doing? Based on a youtube video, the RH should rise to 85% by 3 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by abcd1234; 02-29-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abcd1234 View Post
    I am seasoning my first humidor and have wiped the insides of the box with semi-wet sponge, filled the humidifier with distilled water for 5 minutes, and placed the sponge on top of a zip lock bag in the humidor. This method supposidely is an easy way to get the humidor seasoned in several days. The hygrometer is also calibrated. After one night sitting, the hygrometer reads about 82% and has declined to 80% within the past 5 hours, I've checked the sponge and it is still full of water...Is it normal for the RH to drop like it is doing? Based on a youtube video, the RH should rise to 85% by 3 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Did you calibrate your hygrometer? (I spelled that right, just for GG & CC)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Get some humidity beads, get some cigars in there and start smokin'

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

You're calibrating your hygro inside your humi? Or am I reading that wrong?

4. Default

The hygro has already been calibrated. Used cap of salt and drops of water in ziplock bag.

5. Default

The older I get ,the better I was

6. Default

Hey, make sure the lid has a real good seal. Get a lint free cloth and use distilled water and rub the lid and the piece of wood that is attached to the lid. When they are wiped the wood will expand slightly and give a nice solid seal. Also make sure you use a pg solution when you first charge your humidifier unit. They range in price but my friend gave some of his. I haven't heard of it but it was called cigarlube and it worked better that the stuff I usually use. I couldn't find doing a search so i just typed in the website directly www.cigarlube.com. Worked good. Also I like using a shot glass under the sponge cause it takes up less space than a bag. As long as you have a good tight seal, just leave the humidor for a good 2 or 3 days. There are faster ways of seasoning, but if you have a couple of days this is good. Also, if you are using the hygrometer that came with the humidor and it's analog, get a digital that you can calibrate. They are worth the $20 to 30 bucks depending on the brand. Hope this helps. Message me if you have any questions. I have been smoking for 15 years but this is my first post. Take it easy!

Thread Information