Thread: Anyone else unimpressed with CAO Gold?

Default Anyone else unimpressed with CAO Gold?

I found this cigar lacking. Not a bad cigar by any means, just kind of ordinary. Plenty of other cigars in this price range are much better. The CAO Brazilia are better, but still not great for the price IMHO. IT/Rocky Patel products seem much more impressive to me.

Basically, I find CAO to be OK, but nothing special so far. Are any others worth trying?

2. Default

The only CAO I will smoke is the Brazilias. The rest are pure crap.

I wouldn't say they were "pure crap" but I was not impressed with either the Gold or the Black from CAO. However, I do like the Criollo, Brazilia and Italia very much. I have not rtied any others from their line . . . except a few puffs of my wife's smokes from the CAO Flavours line.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

I'll have to try the Brazilias...I have not been impressed with any other CAO cigars I have tried....

I was going to try a Criollo, but with the fact that I havn't been too impressed with the others, I'm not sure I want to fork out the cash for one. Hell, they're a little pricier than Onyx Reserves and those are damn good smokes!

Brazilias.....yes.

The others......crapolla!

7. Default

IMO CAO does seem to be more concerned with marketing than blending cigars.

Take the “Odyssey” as an example. For around $14.00+ each it is a good cigar. Take away the extra dough for the coffin & sell them twenty to a box for $10.00 each and it would be a “great” smoke.

Again, JMHO.

Brent

The only CAO I've tried so far is the MX2 and it sucked. Horrible draw.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    I would not judge the entire box based on one bad cigar with a bad draw. That is why when I am trying something new I buy at least 3 . . . generally a 5er.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    i had an Mx2, it was an incredible smoke. that was the one that made my face numb for a second.

that might have been the goldschlauger though.
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it never gets you anywhere,.....write that down" -Van Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    I would not judge the entire box based on one bad cigar with a bad draw. That is why when I am trying something new I buy at least 3 . . . generally a 5er.

Well, I think I mispoke - I actually bought three, and all of them had draw problems, to one degree or another. You are right, i try not to judge based on one cigar, but three in a row is usually a bad sign.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I found the Gold to be average. I hear it has a 90 rating but i dont really feel like I'm smoking a 90 rated cigar when i smoke the CAO Gold. I really love the Brazilia. I think the Italia is ok, but again, average. Those are the only three from CAO that i have had.

Tried a large CAO Gold (Corona Gorda?), just a little bit to mild for my tastes, not overly impressed.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

The CAO gold is one of the mildest smokes they offer, so it's really not relevent to compare it to the Brazilia, which is one of their stronger smokes. I personally like several of the CAO lines, with Criollo being my favorite and the Brazilias coming in a close second. The Gold are a bit too mild for me, and the eXtremes are crap.
    Have you ever thought about maybe turning off the TV, sitting down with your kids...and hitting them?

I still have a corona that was given o me. I haven't smoked it yet. Hoerver, the Brazilias I've had I love. likewise, the MX2 and the CAO Maduro were very nice smokes. I haven't had problems with draw at this point. This of course says nothing about the gold version. I do feel thay are a bit overpriced with all of the other great choices out there, but I still buy them.
    A good smoke, good bagpipes, and tasty scotch. I'm happy.

16. Default CAO gold

I find all of the CAO cigars to be quite nice and well made. The trick is to make sure you're selecting the right one for your taste buds.

The CAO Gold is advertised as a mild/medium cigar with an Ecuador Connecticut wrapper. I was very impressed with the wrapper on these. It had a very unique "spongy" wrapper unlike any I've ever seen. If mild is what you're looking for then I think the CAO Gold is a might fine choice. In fact, I'd recommend the CAO Gold to any "newbie" out there. If you've got a friend that wants a nice cigar, but doesn't have an experienced palate to handle a full-bodied cigar, I'd say a CAO Gold would be a fine choice.

Those Brazilians have that unique Brazilian wrapper. I find the Brazilians to be earthy, spicy and musty. Not bad, but not a flavor that I'm particularly fond of. Just not my cup of tea.

The Maduros are probably my favorite of all the CAOs.

Thread Information