Thread: Electronic Humidifier

Default Electronic Humidifier

What are the opinions and pros/cons on these? I'm thinking about buying one for my wineador instead of beads.

Blog Entries

They don't work well underwater.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Hmmm I'll take that into consideration. I was thinking of moving to Atlantis.

I bought a Hyrda-SM electronic humidifier and I'm happy with it. It's the right size for my humi and only have to fill the resevoir about once a month or so.

I don't use the hygrometer on it though, I have a separate digital one I use. I just adjust the RH level up and down to suit that hygrometer and make note of the setting for if/when I have to shut it off. At present the humidifier is set to 73.0% RH and that holds my humi right at 65% RH (real).

I haven't tried beads myself yet, but I'm sure I will eventually when I have make my first coolerador or start using the drawer on the humi itself.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Does it let you know when it's low or do you just check it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmock50 View Post
    Does it let you know when it's low or do you just check it?
    I have an Oasis XL. It lets you know by running continuously.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I have an Oasis XL. It lets you know by running continuously.
    Mine has an alarm. It squeals in a most annoying (and constant) fashion until you fill it. It also runs continuously.

Is yours an Oasis XL as well?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I bought a Hyrda-SM electronic humidifier and I'm happy with it. It's the right size for my humi and only have to fill the resevoir about once a month or so.

I don't use the hygrometer on it though, I have a separate digital one I use. I just adjust the RH level up and down to suit that hygrometer and make note of the setting for if/when I have to shut it off. At present the humidifier is set to 73.0% RH and that holds my humi right at 65% RH (real).

I haven't tried beads myself yet, but I'm sure I will eventually when I have make my first coolerador or start using the drawer on the humi itself.
    Is yours an Oasis XL as well?
    Ok, we know most newbs don't use search...but right in the same thread? Com'on.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I used search before I started the thread and didn't see any threads on the first page that had something to do with an electric humidifier. I may be a newb here, but I'm not a newb to forum etiquette.

I just didn't pay attention to who posted haha, I was in a hurry

Mine has an alarm. It squeals in a most annoying (and constant) fashion until you fill it. It also runs continuously.
    Oddly enough, after work yesterday I stepped into my office at home and the "out of water" alarm was screaming.......

There is a button on the one side you press to shut the alarm off. I don't bother shutting the unit itself down while refilling, I just leave it run. There is also a switch on the other side of the unit to turn the alarm on or off. The only problem is, it isn't labeled on/off and the documentation that comes with the unit doesn't specify which way is on and which off so I wrote the manufacturer and asked them. They were kind enough to respond.

Why would you not label a switch? Dumb.

Why would you not label a switch? Dumb.
    That was pretty much my thought on the matter. Maybe they just like lots of emails.......lol

Oddly enough, after work yesterday I stepped into my office at home and the "out of water" alarm was screaming.......

There is a button on the one side you press to shut the alarm off. I don't bother shutting the unit itself down while refilling, I just leave it run. There is also a switch on the other side of the unit to turn the alarm on or off. The only problem is, it isn't labeled on/off and the documentation that comes with the unit doesn't specify which way is on and which off so I wrote the manufacturer and asked them. They were kind enough to respond.
    If the alarm is going off, my guess would be that the switch is in the ON position.

Blog Entries

If you're refilling the reservoir every month, then I'd suspect that your humi has a huge leak.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    If you're refilling the reservoir every month, then I'd suspect that your humi has a huge leak.
    I did do a light test when I first got it after confirming the lid seals properly and I could see no light coming out of the humi with the lid closed and lights off in the room. That's not a guarantee mind you, but it's fairly indicative. The flashlight I stuck inside it is pretty powerful too so it wasn't a lack of light. I did tape (with painters type masking tape) some black garbage bags over the glass.

Also, my Hyrda is the small one and it's bone dry here year round. Especially so in the dead of winter.

You guys living near big water have no idea how dry it is here on the prairies (year round). I remember living in Vancouver back in 91/92, when I left there I moved to SK and I can clearly remember the feeling of moisture being sucked out of my skin after crossing the Rockies. Somewhere around Calgary if memory serves me I noticed my skin getting very dry and patchy. On the plus side, the mold and mildew that had been growing on me finally died off..........I dunno how you guys can stand that humidity all the time..........LOL

Anyhow, it didn't seem to me to be needing to be refilled too often........but I have nothing to compare it against. Maybe I need to do the light test again...

Blog Entries

If you don't mind refilling the reservoir then don't worry about it. Some humidors leak somewhat deliberately. This is a holdover from sponge humidifier days, when it was very easy to over-humidify - or is done on MDF humidors that use veneer lining because MDF (and veneer) have very little ability to absorb moisture, so it is better to have the moisture escape at a relatively slow rate.

It is dry here half the year and I refill the Hydras once a year in the wood humidor and display humidor. (Both humidors also have a couple pounds of beads.) The Hydras come out for the summer because they release too much moisture even when off.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    If you don't mind refilling the reservoir then don't worry about it. Some humidors leak somewhat deliberately. This is a holdover from sponge humidifier days, when it was very easy to over-humidify - or is done on MDF humidors that use veneer lining because MDF (and veneer) have very little ability to absorb moisture, so it is better to have the moisture escape at a relatively slow rate.

It is dry here half the year and I refill the Hydras once a year in the wood humidor and display humidor. (Both humidors also have a couple pounds of beads.) The Hydras come out for the summer because they release too much moisture even when off.
    Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about it too much. I used to add water to the brick humidifier in my 100 humi count every 4 or 5 days, so only adding water once a month seemed to be pretty good to me.

Typically summer's here are quite dry. But a couple years back it rained most of the summer and the RH outside was 80% or higher so I've been thinking a lot about beads. At the time I still had that 100 count so it wasn't such a big deal but with the bigger humidor, I don't want to have to fight with it should it get that damp outside again and beads are the answer. I probably wouldn't have thought about the Hydra 'leaking' humidity though and would have left it in.....that definitely won't happen now.....LOL

Time to hit heartfelt's website and research what I amount of beads I'll need. I'm going to need them regardless if I plan on using the drawer which is presently storage for lighters and cutters. Eventually the main part of the humi will be full (it's getting close now) and I'll have to use the drawer so I might as well get enough for both parts of the humi and save time.

Thread Information