Thread: Cigar Journal

Default Cigar Journal

So I was thinking that it may be nice for some of the experts on journaling here to post up some helpful hints to guys looking to start one for their cigar experience. Maybe a personal cigar review template. I realized after seeing another member post about journaling that while I have been smoking cigars for a long time I have never really done a good job of journaling and thought maybe I could keep up on it better if someone who has done it for awhile offerred some tips on how to set it up and do it consistently.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    So I was thinking that it may be nice for some of the experts on journaling here to post up some helpful hints to guys looking to start one for their cigar experience. Maybe a personal cigar review template. I realized after seeing another member post about journaling that while I have been smoking cigars for a long time I have never really done a good job of journaling and thought maybe I could keep up on it better if someone who has done it for awhile offerred some tips on how to set it up and do it consistently.
    I use an android app on my phone. Works awesome! I'm sure they have one for iPhone as well. If you're interested I can go into further detail.

Blog Entries

I'm no expert.

I have a spiral bound notebook that I use when I do a cigar review. I do the following order:

Prelight
    Light
    1st
    Ash
    2nd
    3rd
    Overall Impression

Now, for me the overall impression is what I would refer to later as a yes/no for picking up some smokes. Oftentimes, a cigar I may say in the overall impression is "pretty good, I would pick up a 5er" becomes a faded memory. Only the real extremes are easy to recall and make buying decisions.

You could probably simply it if it wasn't for a review format. You could probably just jot down a few notes, tape the label on there and be done.

I usually jot down other stuff like date smoked / drink / tunes I was listening to but they're pretty much peripheral. Maybe the date is important especially if 5 years later you come back to a "buy a box of these" on a CI special...might want to just sample a 5er in that case to be sure.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thanks great advice.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I'm no expert.

I have a spiral bound notebook that I use when I do a cigar review. I do the following order:

Prelight
    Light
    1st
    Ash
    2nd
    3rd
    Overall Impression

Now, for me the overall impression is what I would refer to later as a yes/no for picking up some smokes. Oftentimes, a cigar I may say in the overall impression is "pretty good, I would pick up a 5er" becomes a faded memory. Only the real extremes are easy to recall and make buying decisions.

You could probably simply it if it wasn't for a review format. You could probably just jot down a few notes, tape the label on there and be done.

I usually jot down other stuff like date smoked / drink / tunes I was listening to but they're pretty much peripheral. Maybe the date is important especially if 5 years later you come back to a "buy a box of these" on a CI special...might want to just sample a 5er in that case to be sure.

Will
    NICE Advice - thanks!

Thread Information