Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from Mexico

Blog Entries

Default Back from Mexico

So I went to Mexico for a few days (work-related). The project is for the Minera Penasquito near Mazapil, Zacatecas. We are designing the fire protection systems for a couple warehouses, the mine truck shop, and some rock crusher equipment. I normally design systems for schools, churches, office buildings, etc. - so needless to say going to the mine was a bit of a change for me. Humbling is a good word.

The site was just huge - as was the equipment, buildings, machinery, etc. - Check out this picture of me standing next to one of the mine trucks.

Those be 14' diameter tires there - $500k a piece if you want to purchase one. I think they'll drop the price for set of four to $1.75M - so.

I had to get up to the top of the mine truck shop to verify the dimension between the top of the crane to the bottom of the structural beams. The shop is a cool 70' tall, and I had to have one of those harness things cause I was walking out on the crane's catwalk to get the dimension. I tried hard to act calm, meanwhile my heart was just pounding like crazy. The other guy that I was with at the site took my picture when I was on top of the crane but he hasn't emailed it to me yet - I'll post it once I get it from him - unless you can see the tears - then I'll just claim that the picture got deleted somehow.

One of the other things I had to do was perform a couple flow tests (for determining the available pressure and flow for the fire sprinklers). Here is a shot of me getting a pitot pressure of 38 PSI from the 4.5'' pumper outlet - that ends up being about 3,000 GPM - most water I have ever flowed. Pretty cool - I know, I am a dork... but look - water!

It was a pretty cool trip - and amazing for me to see the scale of these mines. Here is a panoramic I took of the site - it doesn't show all of the site, but it gives you an idea.

-Buzz
    Last edited by buzz; 06-26-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: confiscated spelling issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Welcome back Buzz!

Those are awesome pics. Looks like you had a blast. One question, did customs confiscate your spelling capabilities?

Welcome back Buzz, i bet you didn't stick your head in that water flow to get a drink
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Amazing pics! Thanks!
    Just another day at the office!

5. Default

As an ex truck driver I'd love to drive that thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    As an ex truck driver I'd love to drive that thing.
    They had one of those boxcar simulators there on site for training the crew on how to drive the trucks - first I asked if I could take one of the trucks for a spin... once the laughter stopped I asked if I could try out the simulator... no dice though - bummer.

Check out the rear end on these babies:

-Buzz

Blog Entries

So I was able to photoshop out the tears to avoid embarrassment...

-Buzz

I think that you forgot to take out the piss-stain though!

These are actually really awesome pictures, thanks for posting them!

Blog Entries

Rather than start another "Back from Mexico" thread, I'll just add to this one - I'm back... uh... from Mexico. The wifey and I went with some other friends down to Himalaya Bay (near San Carlos) to hang out on the beach and do some scuba diving. We had a great time relaxing and swimming with the fishes. No one for miles so the night sky was just filled with stars. Weather was a little hot during the day, but you just go jump in the ochen - and a little cold at night, but you just cuddle in the tent. That's right, I said cuddle. We even decided to carve a pumpkin...

Ok, now back to work...

-Buzz

Blog Entries

"cuddle"....I feel a little less manly reading that. Gotta grow the beard longer now.

Nice pics Buzz. Thanks for sharing (the pictures only...not the text)

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Nice trip Buzz. Good pics, although i could have done with not seeing your feet.

Thanks for sharing. Nice pics! I hope you managed to get in a few good cigars on your trip down south...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Default Nice pics.

So you go fairly often then? I love Mexico.
    My grandfather lives Mexico City Ive only ever been a few times when I was younger.
    Cant wait to go back. I want to take my wife, but its a little crazy down there right now.

Blog Entries

Nice pics! I was on vacation the same time you were!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

I don't know, it's dark and I hear laughter!
    Blog Entries

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, ok not really but it sounded good...lol.
    I used to build those prefab buildings like that. We used to have to free walk the beams, so I know the pucker feeling oh so well. Wasn't even as high as you were but I still never got used to it.

Great pics and thanks for sharing them.
    My! What a nice ash you have!

No matter where you go, there you are!

Blog Entries

So I'm back (again), from Mexico (again), and so I figured I'd just keep using this thread. This time we flew commercial From Tucson - Dallas - Monterrey and then met up with a guy who drove us 3.5 hours to Conception del Oro (known as "Concha" to the locals). We arrived in Concha after dark and the town was completely pitch black, no power. The two hotel rooms we reserved somehow got lost, so we were without rooms and so that took some "negotiating". No running water, so I smelled great the next day. The reason for the power loss for the whole town was first said to be due to a bomb attack at the local church... then it was an electrical transformer that blew up, then it was a fireworks accident. As it turns out, the fireworks accident was correct. The entire town celebrates "Conception" (the birth of Christ) for a couple weeks and tragically, two young boys were killed in the accident. Here's a picture of what's left of the building:

Pretty crazy stuff, luckily the power/water got turned back on the next day.

So the reason for the trip was business, so here is a nice picture of me, taking care of business. I'm standing next to one of the ball mills, which has a bunch of steel balls rolling around in it, crushing the rock to a nice fine dust.

No, those muscles are not photo-shopped, they are the real deal folks - 100% pure too, no roids used. Feel free to stare.

Glad to be back, gonna go grab some scotch and a cigar now and hang up some Christmas lights with the wifey.

-Buzz

Welcome back Buzz.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

18. Default

You sure work around some cool equipment...That kind of stuff has always fascinated me.
    Last edited by cigarsarge; 12-13-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Good to see you back Buzz! I'll be going down to Huatulco, Mexico for new years with the wifey and the in-laws. Aparently there is some good diving down there along with white water rafting. I'll be sure to post pics!

Blog Entries

Cool pics.

I've driven to Monterrey before, on the way to Saltillo. If memory serves correctly about the roads in that area, 3.5 hours could very well mean you've only gone about 60 miles.

You know, you may have guns, but next to that ball mill.......just sayin'. Just calling castle.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information