Thread: Humidor Humidification Issues

1. Default Humidor Humidification Issues

I am have recently learned that my analog hygrometer dial is more or less "frozen" for lack of a better term so I got a digital hygrometer on ebay. In an effort to get an accurate humidity reading I calibrated my hygrometer using the salt test and got a reading of 72% after letting it sit overnight, good enough as a minus three reading. So I put it onto the top shelf of my glass top humidor so it could be seen without opening the lid. After a couple days checked in and the reading was 84%. With my humidor having some Cigar Mechanic Beads and 2 water pillows, I took out the Cigar Mechanic Beads and left it to stabilize again overnight and the reading did not change. So I put the hygrometer in with my Cigar Mechanic Beads in a zip lock bag and the reading went up to 99% within an hour.

I guess my question is what should I do. How reliable is the salt test, is it possible my reading was way off? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason22 View Post
    I am have recently learned that my analog hygrometer dial is more or less "frozen" for lack of a better term so I got a digital hygrometer on ebay. In an effort to get an accurate humidity reading I calibrated my hygrometer using the salt test and got a reading of 72% after letting it sit overnight, good enough as a minus three reading. So I put it onto the top shelf of my glass top humidor so it could be seen without opening the lid. After a couple days checked in and the reading was 84%. With my humidor having some Cigar Mechanic Beads and 2 water pillows, I took out the Cigar Mechanic Beads and left it to stabilize again overnight and the reading did not change. So I put the hygrometer in with my Cigar Mechanic Beads in a zip lock bag and the reading went up to 99% within an hour.

I guess my question is what should I do. How reliable is the salt test, is it possible my reading was way off? Any thoughts are appreciated!
    Analog = junk
    Digital seems to be working. If you put it in a bag, even with 65% beads, it's going to take you up to 100% because the volume is so small. The beads can't absorb everything in that environment.

You took the beads out, but left the pillows in and the reading didn't change? Are the beads oversaturated and not able to absorb any more moisture?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Analog = junk
    Digital seems to be working. If you put it in a bag, even with 65% beads, it's going to take you up to 100% because the volume is so small. The beads can't absorb everything in that environment.

You took the beads out, but left the pillows in and the reading didn't change? Are the beads oversaturated and not able to absorb any more moisture?
    Ok, thanks for the information. I am not sure if the beads are oversaturated I guess I am not totally sure how to know. The beads are starting to cloud a little where they were clear after putting them in water so I assumed they had released some moisture and the ability to absorb some back. Yes i removed the beads and just had the pillows and the reading didnt change. I'm not sure of the next course of action to take to try and stabilize the humidity. Is it posibile to use too many beads or humidification for the number of cigars?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason22 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the information. I am not sure if the beads are oversaturated I guess I am not totally sure how to know. The beads are starting to cloud a little where they were clear after putting them in water so I assumed they had released some moisture and the ability to absorb some back. Yes i removed the beads and just had the pillows and the reading didnt change. I'm not sure of the next course of action to take to try and stabilize the humidity. Is it posibile to use too many beads or humidification for the number of cigars?
    Is it possible? Why, I suppose if you really tried. You could put a 5 lbs. bag of beads in an airtight cooler with only 2 cigars in it, and then don't open it for 3 weeks. That might be overly humidified.

What you're going for is consistency - something that analog hygrometer won't provide. You can probably just ditch the hygrometer altogether, if you trust your beads. Season the humidor, make sure those beads are saturated, open your humidor occasionally, and monitor the density of those beads. You should be fine.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Most importantly, when dealing with humidification issues: Buy cigars, put them in. Smoke ones that are in there already. Repeat and adjust.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Is it possible? Why, I suppose if you really tried. You could put a 5 lbs. bag of beads in an airtight cooler with only 2 cigars in it, and then don't open it for 3 weeks. That might be overly humidified.

What you're going for is consistency - something that analog hygrometer won't provide. You can probably just ditch the hygrometer altogether, if you trust your beads. Season the humidor, make sure those beads are saturated, open your humidor occasionally, and monitor the density of those beads. You should be fine.
    I am going for consistancy. I thought I trusted my beads but now am having doubts about weather my beads/hygrometer is the problem or if it is operator error.

If it was my humidor I would take all humidification out except for the beads. Your cigars have probably absorbed some of the excess moisture so it may take a while for the humidity to come down. You will want to do this slowly to avoid damaging the cigars. Put the hygrometer in with just the beads. I try to keep the beads as far from my hygrometer as possible. Over a week or so, you should see the humidity start to drop a bit. Just be patient. If some of your beads are cloudy, they should be up to the task of absorbing excess moisture. If they are all clear, you should remove then for a bit until some are cloudy.

Mark

Team Blowholes owns the Whiny Bitches!

8. Default

Thanks for the info Mark. And thanks the everyone else also!!

Thread Information