Thread: My first cigar.. not as good as I expected

Default My first cigar.. not as good as I expected

Hello everyone,

few days ago I had my first cigar. I wanted to try it for a long time, so I've red some articles, seen some videos and then I went to shop and bought two pieces + cutter. Because I dont own a humidor, I smoked first one the day I bought it and second one the day after. Sadly, it wasnt that good as I expected, so I'm asking you for help.

Cigar brand was Stanislaw, brand of second cigar I forget, but it was something similar. It was pretty thin wet cigar, about 15 mm thick and 140 or 150 mm long. I bought in specialized shop for pipes and cigars, but I'm not sure if they stored it properly. Salesman recommended it as a cigar for beginner. One piece cost about $7 (bought in Europe, not USA - prices might be different - taxes, etc.).

I am not sure, if it was because of I am an beginner, but I didnt smell anything special of it. It just smelled like tobacco, nothing else. I think there were small cracks on the surface, that's not good, right?

Actual smoking was similar. I didnt taste anything special, no flavor, just tobacco. I think I've overburned the first cigar (i feld it in my mouth), so I
    was smoking more slowly the second one. I was drawning every 40-60 seconds, but something bad happened: cigar snuffed out about 4 times in half an hour and I had to light it again. Well, and after 45 mins of smoking, I didnt feel good and had to puke - probably little nicotine poisoning. Why? Did I inhale it? I am honestly not sure, if I did it right, but I think so, I theoretically know how to do drawn it, I am just not sure, if I did it right.

So, question are:
    1. Did I bought a wrong cigars? Can it be badly stored?
    2. Why does it snuffed out?
    3. Why didnt I feel any flavor? Because I am a beginner?
    4. Why didnt I feel good and had to puke?

Final verdict: It didnt taste bad, sadly not even good. I'm not sure if I should give it a second chance. Any advice?

Thank you very much

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Conia View Post
    Hello everyone,

few days ago I had my first cigar. I wanted to try it for a long time, so I've red some articles, seen some videos and then I went to shop and bought two pieces + cutter. Because I dont own a humidor, I smoked first one the day I bought it and second one the day after. Sadly, it wasnt that good as I expected, so I'm asking you for help.

Cigar brand was Stanislaw, brand of second cigar I forget, but it was something similar. It was pretty thin wet cigar, about 15 mm thick and 140 or 150 mm long. I bought in specialized shop for pipes and cigars, but I'm not sure if they stored it properly. Salesman recommended it as a cigar for beginner. One piece cost about $7 (bought in Europe, not USA - prices might be different - taxes, etc.).

I am not sure, if it was because of I am an beginner, but I didnt smell anything special of it. It just smelled like tobacco, nothing else. I think there were small cracks on the surface, that's not good, right?

Actual smoking was similar. I didnt taste anything special, no flavor, just tobacco. I think I've overburned the first cigar (i feld it in my mouth), so I
    was smoking more slowly the second one. I was drawning every 40-60 seconds, but something bad happened: cigar snuffed out about 4 times in half an hour and I had to light it again. Well, and after 45 mins of smoking, I didnt feel good and had to puke - probably little nicotine poisoning. Why? Did I inhale it? I am honestly not sure, if I did it right, but I think so, I theoretically know how to do drawn it, I am just not sure, if I did it right.

So, question are:
    1. Did I bought a wrong cigars? Not necessarily Can it be badly stored? Could be
    2. Why does it snuffed out? Maybe too high humidity / construction
    3. Why didnt I feel any flavor? You're using the wrong sense. Because I am a beginner? You may not have tasted anything special because you're a beginner, it could be the cigar, construction, storage etc.
    4. Why didnt I feel good and had to puke? You're not used to nicotine.

Final verdict: It didnt taste bad, sadly not even good. I'm not sure if I should give it a second chance. Any advice?

Thank you very much
    Could be lots of things. I wouldn't give up unless you're just not really interested anymore.

Next time, read some reviews on here, try and find a couple of those cigars, and let them drybox a day or 2 before you try again.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

"3. Why didnt I feel any flavor? You're using the wrong sense."

lol

Just to add to what badwhale said, I would suggest smoking shortly after a meal on a full stomach. I would recommend you start with mild to medium strength cigars and completely avoid inhaling.

Also, I would smoke somewhere with real good ventilation. You don't want to sit in a closed room with all the windows shut. Good ventilation will keep you from inhaling too much second hand smoke and reduce the chances of having it make you actually sick.

Just my two cents but, if it's making you feel green, put it out and stop. Don't keep sucking on it till you puke.

I forgot to add.........I would recommend drinking something with your cigar. I like a nice coffee or sweet tea to cleanse my palate (oh don't I sound like a hoity toity afficiando now.....LOL) from time to time. I don't drink booze so have no recommendations on that side of things but search is your friend...
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 06-08-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: forgot to add....
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

I forgot to add.........I would recommend drinking something with your cigar. I like a nice coffee or sweet tea to cleanse my palate (oh don't I sound like a hoity toity afficiando now.....LOL) from time to time. I don't drink booze so have no recommendations on that side of things but search is your friend...
    Cigars are like women, they all become acceptable with the right amount of booze.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    Cigars are like women, they all become acceptable with the right amount of booze.
    ...with the right amount of booze (on the "generous" side) I'm sometimes even somewhat tempted to light up an Acid!

So - I believe there might be some validity to your theory!!!

7. Default

Stop reading reviews by folks who wax poetic about essences of chocolate and other foods in their cigars.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    ROFLMAO

I've never gone to bed with any ugly women, but I've woke up with a few...........

Blog Entries

ROFLMAO

I've never gone to bed with any ugly women, but I've woke up with a few...........
    Very nice. :)

ROFLMAO

Check out these glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    LOL

That's a great video!

I'm reminded of the episode of the Simpson's where Patty and Selma take Bart and Lisa on a tour of the Duff beer factory and bart tries on a pair of "beer goggles"

"I am the lizard Queen..."

Thread Information