Thread: Help a newbie out!

1. Default Help a newbie out!

Hey guys, please don't flame me if this topic is covered numerous times, which I'm sure it is. I think mine may be a little different but maybe not. I just got a smaller sized humidor, it's about 40-50 stick box. It's the one you see called the capri, or glass top capri etc. Anyhow, i went through some seasoning steps as in gently wiping down the wood with a slightly damp sponge, and keeping the humidifier puck charged with 50/50 solution. I did this for a few days and checked the digital hygro and it was reading 65-69% stable the next day (third day).

I moved about 25 sticks into it and on a daily basis it seems to be dropping a little where it stays around 60%. I purchased a drymistat tube yesterday, filled and put it in the humi along with the puck. Today it still reads around 61-62%. Should I remove everything and keep wiping down? I live in FLorida and it's pretty damn humid out so I don't think it's the environment. Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

I would suggest giving it a few days to get to the rH that you want. If the sticks were particularly dry, then they may be absorbing extra moisture within the humidor. In all honesty though, 62-65% rH is about where I keep my humidor. Also, if you invest it Heartfelt beads, you wouldn't even have to worry about solution and massive fluctuation.

The search function is your friend.
    "It was a pleasure to burn." - Ray Bradbury

Just give it time.
    Every time i drop 20 sticks or more in my main humidor it drops the RH for a few days, but it will come back up.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

4. Default

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on it for a few days

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on it for a few days
    Resist the temptation to keep opening to check. Every time you open the box you're taking moisture out and dispersing it into the room air.

You also might want to "dollar bill" test the seals. The box should close tight enough to prevent a dollar bill from easily sliding out.

Fully charge the beads (or whatever) and just let it do it's magic!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Resist the temptation to keep opening to check. Every time you open the box you're taking moisture out and dispersing it into the room air.

You also might want to "dollar bill" test the seals. The box should close tight enough to prevent a dollar bill from easily sliding out.

Fully charge the beads (or whatever) and just let it do it's magic!
    That's definitely the reason I bought a glass top one hah! So that's not an issue. I'm just going to leave it alone for a few days and see what happens. Thanks. Also, the seal is great

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Also, the seal is great

I agree, the seal is great. Just make sure you have enough room in there for him.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

8. Default

fyi, i picked up a larger humidifier, I believe it's a cigar caddy rectangle one. Sits at 70% all the time now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post

I agree, the seal is great. Just make sure you have enough room in there for him.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-Seal_2012.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	3056

Agreed. The Seal is great!!

Thread Information