Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What humidity should a seasoning humidor be at?

1. Default What humidity should a seasoning humidor be at?

I am currently seasoning my new humidor. It is no bigger than say 7" by 7". I wiped down the cedar with a slightly damp sponge, filled the humidifier, and placed it in the box along with the hydrometer and the sponge which is now saturated to the point of almost but not dripping on top of a plastic bag. It's been about 15 hours an the hydrometer reads 72. My question is if this is normal? Also what should the final humidity be on day day 3 before I remove the sponge?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan01 View Post
    I am currently seasoning my new humidor. It is no bigger than say 7" by 7". I wiped down the cedar with a slightly damp sponge, filled the humidifier, and placed it in the box along with the hydrometer and the sponge which is now saturated to the point of almost but not dripping on top of a plastic bag. It's been about 15 hours an the hydrometer reads 72. My question is if this is normal? Also what should the final humidity be on day day 3 before I remove the sponge?
    Day 3, at approximately 13.5 hours in, the humidity should be exactly 71.3745 rh.

If not, you're completely screwed. Hope this helps.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Take the sponge out. Replace the hydrometer with a hygrometer. Leave it closed until Friday. Check the hygrometer. If it's around 70 %, give or take a couple of points, stuff it with cigars and leave it alone for a few days. Check it again, adjust as necessary, get frustrated, buy beads, throw the hygro away or give it to another overly obsessed newb, moisten beads, place them in the humi, forget it.

4. Default

Thanks guys. Also I ment to say hygrometer not hydrometer.

Thanks guys. Also I ment to say hygrometer not hydrometer.
    I think Badwhale is the only member on this board that uses a hydrometer. Maybe Buzz too - they're both funny like that...

It took me about 3 years to finally lose my "fear" of running my humidor too wet/dry. Just make sure you do not let everything dry completely out and you'll be fine.

...and don't use tap water - use only distilled water.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I think Badwhale is the only member on this board that uses a hydrometer. Maybe Buzz too - they're both funny like that...

It took me about 3 years to finally lose my "fear" of running my humidor too wet/dry. Just make sure you do not let everything dry completely out and you'll be fine.

Well, I mean, I have both. Hygrometer AND hydrometer. Don't you keep an eye on your cigar's specific gravity?

Everyone is so obsessed with rh. (squirly eyes!!!)

Uncle Tupelo

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post

Hahaa yea I know, I have done my research. And thanks, that eases my worries about the humidity!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Well, I mean, I have both. Hygrometer AND hydrometer. Don't you keep an eye on your cigar's specific gravity?

Everyone is so obsessed with rh. (squirly eyes!!!)
    What is this "gravity" you speak of and how concerned should I be?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    What is this "gravity" you speak of and how concerned should I be?
    very, very concerned. I mean, how else can you figure out the tobacco's country of origin / blend characteristics if you don't have a hydrometer?

We should all be concerned that this is probably the first conversation on this board about the importance of your cigars’ specific gravity.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I am not concerned.

I am concerned about the lack of conversation about wireless hygrometers. Opening humidors to check RH is the leading cause of split wrappers. The only reasons to open a humidor are to add or remove cigars, (distilled) water, or tobacco beetle repellent.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I am not concerned.

I am concerned about the lack of conversation about wireless hygrometers. Opening humidors to check RH is the leading cause of split wrappers. The only reasons to open a humidor are to add or remove cigars, (distilled) water, or tobacco beetle repellent.
    My friend keeps 1 large cockroach in each of his humidors. He says they eat the tobacco beetles, plus you don't have to worry about tainting your cigars with any type of pesticide. Makes sense to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    My friend keeps 1 large cockroach in each of his humidors. He says they eat the tobacco beetles, plus you don't have to worry about tainting your cigars with any type of pesticide. Makes sense to me.
    I only have small cockroaches in my area so I am thinking it will take 2-3 per humidor. What are your thoughts? I'll hang up and listen.

Blog Entries

Now, that would concern me. I'm not sure I want any cockroach poop diluting the distinct overtone of beetle eggs/beetle poop in my cigars. Whole new flavor wheel to deal with.

As far as wireless hygrometers go, yep, if you insist on having a hygrometer, this is the way to go.

Blog Entries

By the time the roach eats the (mature) beetle, it is too late for your cigars.

FWIW, I don't use repellent. Current generations of beetles do not hatch below 65 degrees F (really), so I just keep my coolers below that temperature - except for now, when it is hot outside.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Now, that would concern me. I'm not sure I want any cockroach poop diluting the distinct overtone of beetle eggs/beetle poop in my cigars. Whole new flavor wheel to deal with.

As far as wireless hygrometers go, yep, if you insist on having a hygrometer, this is the way to go.
    Hmmm, good point about the poop. I hadn't thought of that. What about a dab of crazy glue on the cockroaches poop shoot. It probably would still live for a while, and when you find him on his back just eat him and get a new one.

Blog Entries

I used a hydrometer just yesterday!

As far as super gluing the roach pujols, not a good idea unless you change roaches often. Otherwise, they will eat beetles until they explode, creating a roach-poo fountain.

17. Default

My friend keeps 1 large cockroach in each of his humidors. He says they eat the tobacco beetles
    I'm pretty sure you need two, just in case one of them gets full.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I am not concerned.

...with or without Deet?

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I used a hydrometer just yesterday!

As far as super gluing the roach pujols, not a good idea unless you change roaches often. Otherwise, they will eat beetles until they explode, creating a roach-poo fountain.
    Oh, crap... There goes my hydrometer list. I now gotta add Eville to it!

Blog Entries

DEET from June to September. It does add a chocolate room note when smoking, but most folks don't mind.

Thread Information