Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help understanding review terminology

Blog Entries

Default Help understanding review terminology

I'm fairly new to "good" cigars.
    I was looking at the review section and realized I don't know what most of the stuff means.
    Can someone explain the terminology or direct me to where it might be explained.
    I do understand some, but most of the flavor things I do not. Things like leathery, woodsy, salt water taffy notes...that sort of thing.
    thanks,
    Matt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    I was looking at the review section and realized I don't know what most of the stuff means.
    Can someone explain the terminology or direct me to where it might be explained.
    I do understand some, but most of the flavor things I do not. Things like leathery, woodsy, salt water taffy notes...that sort of thing.
    thanks,
    Matt
    Welcome to the board, I hope you enjoy your stay. Smoke more cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    thanks,
    Matt
    What do you taste when you smoke a cigar? Do you taste anything other than "smoke"?

Please don't get hung up on what something tastes like - smoke what you like to smoke. When someone is referring to "Leather", or "grassy" - most often they're trying to characterize what is predominently coming to mind while they're smoking the cigar. Similar to someone attempting to describe the flavors in a wine or other "spirit" (e.g. Scotch, Bourbon, Cognac, etc.).

To Jamie's (ashauler) point - smoke cigars until you find what you favor and what you don't care for. All the rest falls into place with time...

Blog Entries

Ahhhh... Two people advising me to smoke more cigars...Does it really get any better than that?
    Thanks, I'll stop worrying about it,
    Matt

Send a PM to DevilDoc. He gets all sorts of weird flavors out of his cigars. Anything from Corinthian Leather to cardamom and nutmeg.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeCizlak View Post
    Send a PM to DevilDoc. He gets all sorts of weird flavors out of his cigars. Anything from Corinthian Leather to cardamom and nutmeg.
    ...especially chocolate! He LOVES chocolate!

I guess I was really confused when I started last year also, I forget how weird it was to hear all of those flavors and not pick up anything like that. I think I started understanding when I first had a gispert toro, and I could tell that what made it different than the others, was how grassy it was in comparison. It all starts with trying so many, that your mind decides what straight tobacco tastes like, then the rest of the tastes differ from stick to stick. Good luck it won't take long!

Quote Originally Posted by steffanan View Post
    I guess I was really confused when I started last year also, I forget how weird it was to hear all of those flavors and not pick up anything like that. I think I started understanding when I first had a gispert toro, and I could tell that what made it different than the others, was how grassy it was in comparison. It all starts with trying so many, that your mind decides what straight tobacco tastes like, then the rest of the tastes differ from stick to stick. Good luck it won't take long!
    Huh? What? I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I'm not quite sure what "straight tobacco" tastes like. Are you talking maybe cigarettes?

...there's no comparison to cigarettes (or Swisher Sweets - or Backwoods...).

You sure have lots of smoking to do before you're going to pick out flavors, Steffanan.
    Last edited by ggiese; 07-10-2012 at 11:24 PM.

I'm saying the flavour of tobacco without other tastes. Really what's the point in picking that apart? I don't think I really said anything that stupid, or anything that should show me to be a beginner right there. I mean no offence, I just love this forum and I don't want people starting to dislike me for no reason.

Blog Entries

I'm saying the flavour of tobacco without other tastes. Really what's the point in picking that apart? I don't think I really said anything that stupid, or anything that should show me to be a beginner right there. I mean no offence, I just love this forum and I don't want people starting to dislike me for no reason.
    What's wrong with being a beginner?

Well I hope to be further along than a beginner after probably 60 cigars. I guess I just take it seriously because being 19, nobody automatically believes I know what I am talking about, so I have to work at it. I hate my age group, it pulls respect away from me in society cause of how they act. Cigars are my time away from that, if I can't be respected here, I'm out of luck until I grow up

Blog Entries

Well I hope to be further along than a beginner after probably 60 cigars. I guess I just take it seriously because being 19, nobody automatically believes I know what I am talking about, so I have to work at it. I hate my age group, it pulls respect away from me in society cause of how they act. Cigars are my time away from that, if I can't be respected here, I'm out of luck until I grow up
    Seriously, 60 cigars? That's about two months worth for some.....a week and a half for others. I'd suggest to you that beyond the basics, you have yet to scratch the surface.

I'm not sure aNyone "dislikes" you. That's pretty harsh, wouldn't you say?

But - if you offer advice, please think about what you're writing. Your opinion is only valid if the information you're offering is valid. And - if you put something out there that's thought provoking - be prepared to be able to explain your post.

Through that process we all learn.

Blog Entries

I say embrace being 19 and whatever baggage that may bring. There will be plenty of time to be old and well respected when you are old and have earned the respect.

Alright guys, I get it. I will read posts, smoke my cigars, and leave it at that.

Alright guys, I get it. I will read posts, smoke my cigars, and leave it at that.
    ...and one day you, too, will taste chocolate, leather, Madagascar vanilla, black currants, etc instead of "straight tobacco".

Smoked a stick the other day I didn't care for; seemed to be all smoke and no taste. I let my wife have a puff (she's never smoked a whole cigar) and she tasted coffee. :-( I'm offering up prayers for palate development for all us newbies...
    imnotpete.com (tech/general blog)
    ink.imnotpete.com (creative blog)

Pshht, im so developed, that I can taste the fart from the farmer who let one go while he was irrigating, I was just taking about the straight (forward) tobacco taste that is in most cigars. I guess I don't realize how I come across when I talk.

You want straight tobacco taste? Try a one of the Padron 1926 line with a natural wrapper. To my palate, there is nothing there but pure, beautiful tobacco taste. They ain't cheap, but they are a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours.

Pshht, im so developed, that I can taste the fart from the farmer who let one go while he was irrigating, I was just taking about the straight (forward) tobacco taste that is in most cigars. I guess I don't realize how I come across when I talk.
    You should be able to pick up that "farmer fart" taste whilst smoking an Acid...

...and I must concede - there's is a "straight tobacco" taste in what some consider at least one line of "premium" cigars. If nothing else, and even though the "straight tobacco" taste is pretty subtle in Macanoodles, I think I've tasted it from time to time...

Thread Information