Thread: Can not seem to get above 60%

1. Default Can not seem to get above 60%

Hello, I am new to humidors and keeping cigars my wife recently got me some cuban cigars and a humidor. I had the humidor about 2 months before I found out how to season it and get the cigars ready. Now I have had the thing for a few weeks, I keep seasoning it with a wet cloth rubbed into the wood and then left in there for about 2 days, the humidity only ever gets just above 70 then when I remove the wet cloth from inside the humidor (which was sitting on plastic saran wrap) the humidity goes down to about 60% and stays there. I thought maybe the sponge wasn't working well enough so I also went out and bought a drymistat... Still 60%... I've repeated the process a few times, once leaving the wet cloth in for 5 days, same thing dropped to 60 as soon as I remove it. I have included pics of my setup, right now I have the drymystat, wet sponge and a shot glass of water in there to try to keep those nice cigars from drying out but still alas... 60%....

Anyone have any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1218[1].jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	3061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1219[1].jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	3062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1220[1].jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	3063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1221[1].jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	3064

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by macinnisl View Post
    Hello, I am new to humidors and keeping cigars my wife recently got me some cuban cigars and a humidor. I had the humidor about 2 months before I found out how to season it and get the cigars ready. Now I have had the thing for a few weeks, I keep seasoning it with a wet cloth rubbed into the wood and then left in there for about 2 days, the humidity only ever gets just above 70 then when I remove the wet cloth from inside the humidor (which was sitting on plastic saran wrap) the humidity goes down to about 60% and stays there. I thought maybe the sponge wasn't working well enough so I also went out and bought a drymistat... Still 60%... I've repeated the process a few times, once leaving the wet cloth in for 5 days, same thing dropped to 60 as soon as I remove it. I have included pics of my setup, right now I have the drymystat, wet sponge and a shot glass of water in there to try to keep those nice cigars from drying out but still alas... 60%....

Anyone have any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1218[1].jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	3061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1219[1].jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	3062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1220[1].jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	3063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1221[1].jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	3064
    This is much easier to read...

Um, well, search will tell you to ditch the analog hyGrometer, and switch to beads. At the very least, search for a salt test on that POS analog.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

The humidor is upside down and all the humidity is leaking out.
    Last edited by ashauler; 07-18-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Not exactly sure why, but people keep telling me you need these:

...to keep the humidity stable in your humidor.

Blog Entries

Yup, lack of seal it probably is.

6. Default

Thanks!, I'll look into the hygrometer issue, I actually did see a post about that last night and it seems mine is way off. I will look into the beads or something a little more reliable my outdoor hygrometer i put in for a test is reading above 80% in there but it's not completely accurate either.

If that ends up not being the issue though... anything I can do for seals? or am I stuck buying a new humidor?
    Last edited by macinnisl; 07-18-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Clarification outdoor hygrometer

Try using kitty litter beads (not the usual gravel litter), pour them into a pantyhose leg and spray with distilled water, that will keep you at 65-70% easy. Of course you do need a good seal and digital hygrometer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatra Samurai View Post
    Try using kitty litter beads (not the usual gravel litter), pour them into a pantyhose leg and spray with distilled water, that will keep you at 65-70% easy. Of course you do need a good seal and digital hygrometer as well.
    Okay - I get where you're coming from, but I caution you that you are not providing good information. You cannot just use "kitty litter beads" for maintaining humidity...

Please be careful dispensing advice on this board.

Thanks.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Okay - I get where you're coming from, but I caution you that you are not providing good information. You cannot just use "kitty litter beads" for maintaining humidity...

Thanks.
    Yeh thanks, I am starting to think the humidor might have been at the right humidity but I just ordered a digital hydrometer online that is accurate and can be calibrated. Only time will tell I guess, all I can do now is wait for it to arrive. I took the shot glass of water out of the humidor as well as I have been terrified that it will tip over as my wife loves to move things around.

Thanks to all those who have provided advice, I will keep researching online but I think my drymistat is actually keeping a good humidity level in there and my hygrometer was way off.

Blog Entries

Yeh thanks, I am starting to think the humidor might have been at the right humidity but I just ordered a digital hydrometer online that is accurate and can be calibrated. Only time will tell I guess, all I can do now is wait for it to arrive. I took the shot glass of water out of the humidor as well as I have been terrified that it will tip over as my wife loves to move things around.

Thanks to all those who have provided advice, I will keep researching online but I think my drymistat is actually keeping a good humidity level in there and my hygrometer was way off.

Case closed.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post

Thanks.
    Yep! And all the other newblets should be very careful what advice they follow.

While it can be used, it isn't exactly as simple as throwing it in the humi and douching it with distilled water.

Dont waste your time or money on shit (drymistat).
    This is what you want to purchase - http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/default.asp.
    Buy a couple empty tubes along with the beads and you will be good to go.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information