Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chemicals added to cigarettes

Default chemicals added to cigarettes

i remember someone recently posting a link to the list of additives allowed in cigarettes. i've tried searching, but couldn't find it. can someone give me that link?

Is this what you were looking for....... Here

Or this one...... Here

This one looks pretty good also....... Here

Damn.... I'm glad I quit smoking cigarettes

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    Is this what you were looking for....... Here

Or this one...... Here

This one looks pretty good also....... Here

Damn.... I'm glad I quit smoking cigarettes
    yep that's it. thanks! that second one says they add gold. weird

i didn't see it in there, but i may be listed under a different name. fiberglass is added to the menthol cigs for the mint flavor. my friend had to smoke those at his girlfriends house cause they wouldn't allow him to smoke his usual cigs.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Default Remember though.....

that list is a list of "approved additives" for the tobacco industry by the FDA. It merely means that a tobacco company can add any one or combination of those to their tobacco.

Many people think that ALL of that list is in ALL cigarettes. That isn't the case.

I'm not defending it or opposing it now. Just pointing that out you know!

BTW, some cigar tobacco has "additives" too!

They are not regulated and the companies are not required to notify ANYONE of these additives.

Now I don't know to what extent premium cigars have additives. I remember reading of one though, I think it was a Jamaican brand. I can't recall for sure.

Remember, all flavored cigars have additives and you don't really know what they use for that!

Cigarettes are nasty period...

so what kind of additives are in cigars. premium unflavored.
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it never gets you anywhere,.....write that down" -Van Wilder

Default Ah.....what additives you ask!!!

Well.......er..........

The brand I was trying to think about is Royal Jamaica. A nice cigar that I smoked when I was getting into cigars. Nice, mild.

The tobacco is sprayed with what they call "Bethune". I quote an internet article from CA. The link fo rthe whole story follows the quote.

"Royal Jamaicas have a distinctive smooth, woody taste, owed in large part to the mild Jamaican tobacco that makes up much of their filler. (Gore tends to leave the strongest leaves, the smallest ones, unpicked, and never removes the flowers from the top of the plant. This, he feels, smooths out the tobacco's flavor.) Another flavor factor is a bubbling cauldron inside the factory. It's filled with bethune, a mixture that includes rum, wine, vinegar and native herbs that workers spray on Jamaican tobacco after it cures. Gore says the bethune stops mold from forming on the tobacco during Jamaica's wet season and enhances the flavor of the cigars. As legend has it, the potion was created by Henry Winkle, who worked for Gore's grandfather. "It's like a witches' brew," jokes James L. Colucci, senior vice president of sales and marketing for Consolidated Cigar, "a secret formula. Robert keeps it very close to his vest. It's his Coca-Cola." "

The link to CA for the whole article

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...22,335,00.html

It's nothing scathing. It's actually just an article about RJ's "comeback" written in 1999.

Now I'm not saying that premium cigars are treated with some of the stuff that goes into cigarettes, but how do you know for sure??

According to other stuff I've read, cigar manufacturers are not required to disclose anything that they might add to their tobacco.

Look at all the premium infused cigars on the market today. In particular the ACID line by Drew. I belive all of the stuff in them is organic, but for all I know they could include Llama urine along with God knows what else! Llama urine IS organic!

However, most of your machine made cigars to my understanding from a few internet articles I read do use various chemical additives and adhesives to control burn, to keep the binder stable, etc.

Don't worry. Our premiums are OK! ......... or are they? ......
    Last edited by MMAB; 07-22-2005 at 04:27 AM.

Ummmmm...................................

Let's not try to fool ourselves into believing cigar tobacco is any safer than cigarettes. Tobacco grows plenty of it's own dangerous chemicals naturally. The process of combustion produces many of the carcinogens and toxins. Smoke is BAD period. It doesn't really matter where it comes from.

Cigars are safer than cigs for lung cancer and more dangerous for cancers of the mouth and throat. It only makes sense since we smoke stronger tobacco and lots more of it. We just don't inhale the smoke, or smoke as often.

That being said. Smoking has been around a long time along with the dangers. Only recently, with modern medicine, have we beaten disease to the point where we can afford to worry about it. Smoking cigars in moderation is no more dangerous than many other activities.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 07-26-2005 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth

That being said. Smoking has been around a long time along with the dangers. Only recently, with modern medicine, have we beaten disease to the point where we can afford to worry about it. Smoking cigars in moderation is no more dangerous than many other activities.
    Like sitting in front of a camp fire.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Default errrrrr......I dunno

I think that your mouth takes more of a beating from a cigar than it does a campfire. Unless of course you pick up a burning or smoldering piece of wood and suck on it.

Always remember that you are taking a risk using any tobacco product.

Knock on wood.

I have read that if you smoke one cigar per day or less, your chances of getting various cancers of the throat/tongue etc are elevated, but nearly as high as those who smoke 2-3 sticks per day, and both of those pale in comparison to the chances for various cancers from smoking and inhaling cigarettes.

I'm not saying that smoking cigars is not hazardous, but research I have read shows it to be far less dangerous than smoking and inhaling cigarettes. It may also be due to the fact that cigarette smokers smoke much more frequently than cigar smokers, and inhale to boot.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    I have read that if you smoke one cigar per day or less, your chances of getting various cancers of the throat/tongue etc are elevated, but nearly as high as those who smoke 2-3 sticks per day, and both of those pale in comparison to the chances for various cancers from smoking and inhaling cigarettes.

I'm not saying that smoking cigars is not hazardous, but research I have read shows it to be far less dangerous than smoking and inhaling cigarettes. It may also be due to the fact that cigarette smokers smoke much more frequently than cigar smokers, and inhale to boot.
    So what your saying is i need to start smoking more cigars...sweet
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

Or less Cigarettes :-P

I have a hard time enjoying a cigar while thinking about cancer. The hazards of smoking anything cannot be denied. If it bothers you that much, find a different hobby. Otherwise, just smoke your goddamn cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer
    I have a hard time enjoying a cigar while thinking about cancer. The hazards of smoking anything cannot be denied. If it bothers you that much, find a different hobby. Otherwise, just smoke your goddamn cigar.

Words to live by
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Cool

I jsut turned 70 and have been smoking an average of 8 Cigars a day since I was around 30 years old and my health is better than my doctors .
    HELL, WHO WANTS TO LIVE ANY LONGER THAN THAT???

Amanda Guest

Opie, I agree. The opportunity to be spared from a rest home the last 15 years of my life is actually part of the appeal of smoking for me. I bet if all these health nannies could watch a parent or grandparent turn into a vegetable from Alzheimer's disease like my great-grandpa did, they'd be less likely to see "longer lives" as such a utopian scenario. Of course, the opposite extreme isn't worth much either, but I'll take my chances, particularly considering how much I love cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by opie
    I jsut turned 70 and have been smoking an average of 8 Cigars a day since I was around 30 years old and my health is better than my doctors .

Well Opie....I do. I wish I could live forever. Of course always in perfect health and mental state with the body of a 30 year-old.

Think of what you could see.

THINK OF ALL THE CIGARS YOU COULD SMOKE IN ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opie

There is a quote worth keeping!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Thread Information