Thread: Moldy cigar - smoke or store?

Blog Entries

Default Moldy cigar - smoke or store?

I bought a couple of Padron 2000s a couple of days ago.
    When I got home later, I noticed some white specks on them. I searched and found it was bloom or mold. I pulled one out to look at it with a magnifying glass. When I did, the specks weren't really on the cigar, but on the inside of the cellophane. it was sort of fuzzy, so I guess I got some mold.
    Most people seem to be of the opinion that it's fine to smoke them, and I could take them back. I picked them out myself, so taking them back a few days later seems a little unfair to the guy that owns the store. And I'm OK smoking them.
    I bought them to put away with other good cigars to smoke once I got through the lousy Thompson samplers I bought, so I'd rather not smoke them, yet. But I don't want to goof up the other good cigars I've already accumulated. My search didn't really come up with an answer as to whether it was OK to go ahead and store them with the others or not.
    Should I just go ahead and put them with the others or take it as a lesson and smoke them now?

Thanks,
    Matt

Just wipe them off with a (Slightly) damp paper towel and they should be fine to store. If the mold was blue or green.....pitch the cigar in the bin.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

What paddy said.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

4. Default

I'd smoke them sooner rather than later and I wouldn't store them with my good cigars. Mold spores are everywhere, and they're real small. Did you really get it all? Why take the chance of introducing them to your humidor?

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

I'd most likely smoke them as well. I mean, we're talking a couple of $4 cigars......couldn't be that hard.

Blog Entries

Well, I guess I'll smoke them. I told my wife of my dilemma and the replies(who woulda thunk she was listening?) and she suggested I go somewhere else and buy replacements for the stash and just smoke these.
    Since it's her idea do I have to offer her one?

Thanks all,
    Matt

Blog Entries

My wife would prefer I not intentionally give her a moldy cigar. YMMV. Unless a "moldy cigar" is something on urban dictionary, in which case, she still would probably not prefer it.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    My wife would prefer I not intentionally give her a moldy cigar. YMMV. Unless a "moldy cigar" is something on urban dictionary, in which case, she still would probably not prefer it.
    Lmao! I just launched water across the office via my nose. Thanks Will.

Mark

Team Blowholes owns the Whiny Bitches!

LOL Mark and Will

Just my two cents here but.........my favorite B&M wouild replace those no questions asked. I've brought back a few cigars that were rolled so tight I couldn't draw and he replaced them. So there's no doubt in my mind if I got one (or more) from them that was moldy, they'd be replaced immediately too.

If the B&M where you bought them is a reputable business, they'll replace those without hesitation so I would say, take them back and exchange them. If they don't, obviously they don't want your business (or anybody elses) and I would never go there again. If they do replace them, I would immediately inspect the replacements before leaving the store.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Well, after agonizing over this, I went back to the shop and explained the situation about the mold. The guy swapped them out without so much as a blink. I got 3000s instead of 2000s from a different box.
    He took the ones I brought back, though, and put them right back in the box I got them from, mold and all.
    The shop is less than a mile from my house, which is nice, but I see I'll have to look closely at everything I buy.

Thanks again,
    Matt

11. Default

Give the guy credit, at least he didn't try to convince you it was plume.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    Well, after agonizing over this, I went back to the shop and explained the situation about the mold. The guy swapped them out without so much as a blink. I got 3000s instead of 2000s from a different box.
    He took the ones I brought back, though, and put them right back in the box I got them from, mold and all.
    The shop is less than a mile from my house, which is nice, but I see I'll have to look closely at everything I buy.

Thanks again,
    Matt
    That's nice he exchanged them without complaint but I am surprised he put them back into stock. I guess he's hoping for someone clueless and partially blind to grab them *shrug*
    I'd say he rates as being halfassed 'reputable'...........lol

On the plus side, you got 3000's which aren't moldy and those are a good cigar. In fact, I may have to have one later today......
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information