Thread: Turntables

Blog Entries

Default Turntables

So, on a whim today I picked up a Technics SL 1700 on CL on the cheap. I've been thinking about it for a while, saw a good price, and went with it. I'm not so much of an audiophile, but I do think the sound is better and I just like the idea of the giant cover art.

I used to be a radio DJ, and always enjoyed the ability to spin the cue up. I wish it played 78's, but this is going to be fun.

Anyone else still listen to records?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I listen to vinyl fairly often. I have an old school set up in my garage. Record player from the 70's, cassette player from the 80's, cd player from the 90's, and a mini disc player from the 2000's. The record player is the one I use by far the most while I'm cleaning or wrenching on my bike. Or, just drinking a beer, smoking a cigar with friends. Have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    I listen to vinyl fairly often. I have an old school set up in my garage. Record player from the 70's, cassette player from the 80's, cd player from the 90's, and a mini disc player from the 2000's. The record player is the one I use by far the most while I'm cleaning or wrenching on my bike. Or, just drinking a beer, smoking a cigar with friends. Have fun with it.
    I have a huge pile of leftover vinyl from my misspent youth. My son "inherited it" (only because I wanted him to sell it and split the profits - I think he fell in love with the collection).

But - sad to say - those days are long gone for me (turntables, quadraphonic stereo, 8 tracks...). I was just reminiscing about the first DVD player I bought - a "high end" (expensive) magnavox that only played up to 13 tracks (no more). There's been no looking back...

Nope - give me my streaming music or iPad and I'm as good as gold!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I have a huge pile of leftover vinyl from my misspent youth. My son "inherited it" (only because I wanted him to sell it and split the profits - I think he fell in love with the collection).

But - sad to say - those days are long gone for me (turntables, quadraphonic stereo, 8 tracks...). I was just reminiscing about the first DVD player I bought - a "high end" (expensive) magnavox that only played up to 13 tracks (no more). There's been no looking back...

Nope - give me my streaming music or iPad and I'm as good as gold!
    Oh yeah, for the most part I am definitely with you on this. Mp3, satellite radio and streaming music is by far the majority of what I listen to. But, for me anyway, it's pretty cool to pop a record on the turntable every now and then.

5. Default

I'm an audiophool. I own about a thousand LPs and play them on a VPI MK 19 turntable with an Audioquest PT-5 tonearm and a Sumiko Bluepoint #2 HOMC cartridge. I've had the TT and arm for about 20yrs. I'm thinking about buying my last TT, probably another VPI. Classic this time.

BTW, those of you who listen to MP3, streaming radio etc are listening to music that has had the life sucked out of it through compression. That's probably the reason may young people are turning to vinyl

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Last year I took my dad's collection out of storage and set up the entire thing. It's been nice to buy and listen to records. It isn't always easy to put on a record, sometimes you just have to use your iPod. However, records just sound so much better. I've also been listening to FLAC files through my computer and those sound just as good.
    "It was a pleasure to burn." - Ray Bradbury

Blog Entries

Whenever I listen to Miles, Birdman, Ella, Billie, Coltrane, etc. at the house it is on vinyl. Wifey and I sit out back with a glass of wine and unwind from the week. Sure I have to get up every so often to flip/change the record but the sound is so worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Score!

Lady was giving away their record collection on CL today. Box sets, single 33's, it was totally awesome. Mostly Big Band and Christmas carols, but also Isaac Hayes and Zeppelin II. I think I now own everything Jim Nabors ever did. Ever. Quite the eclectic collection.

First member in good standing who posts in this thread "Paul Anka albums make me feel like a real man" gets a fiver from me - PM me your address! Minimum 50 posts. Don't be a douchebag.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Ha! If I had to choose whether to listen to Jim Nabors on vinyl, or mp3 or cd, or whatever...I think I'd choose braille.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Snip.......
    BTW, those of you who listen to MP3, streaming radio etc are listening to music that has had the life sucked out of it through compression. That's probably the reason may young people are turning to vinyl

Doc
    Well, most of today's "music", if you can call it that still, has no soul or life to begin with. It all sounds very similar, bands sound the same with no individuality and seem to be mass produced. My opinion of course. And people still buy it and listen to it.

I've recently bought some high end audio gear and headphones. I used to use on-board sound and a pair of Senn HD 212 Pros, but have upgraded nicely. Now I have a Xonar DX soundcard, going to a Maverick Tubemagic A1 headphone amp, and listening through some Beyerdynamic DDT 880s, the 600 ohm version. So far I am liking a vacuum tube amp, kinda got the upgrade bug now. Might see about getting some other gear after a bit to test. I am also migrating my music collection, from what has mostly been 320 Kbs MP3s for the last several years, to FLAC. Figure it's time to go lossless. Switching all my PMP to those that support FLAC. Now the only thing I'll have to use MP3s on is the in the car.....for the time being. Hell, I might even just get a PMP to keep in there and listen from it instead of a thumb drive.
    Yay! Cigars!

Well, I hate to say it but, the only difference I've ever noticed between vinyl and CD's is a lack of hissing, popping and scratchy noises on the CD's. As far as the actual sound itself goes, to me there's no difference. But that could just be my ears.

My hearing is a little damaged from years of hunting and shooting without hearing protection (I wear it now at the range all the time), working with sheetmetal (Commercial HVAC installations) and working with a live band for a year or two. So it could just be that my hearing is not so good and was already problematic buy the time CD's started coming out.

I'm the same with the whole DVD vs BlueRay thing too. I have both players and have watched both and see no differece between the two formats so I buy DVD's as they're usually around $10 or more less than BR discs. In fact, I once loaded the exact same movie into both and switched between the two and I couldn't see a difference. Not like the difference you see between a HD channel and a non-HD channel on TV. As for the sound on BR....same thing as music...........my ears don't hear any difference.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Paul Anka albums make me feel like a real man.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Well, I hate to say it but, the only difference I've ever noticed between vinyl and CD's is a lack of hissing, popping and scratchy noises on the CD's. As far as the actual sound itself goes, to me there's no difference. But that could just be my ears.

My hearing is a little damaged from years of hunting and shooting without hearing protection (I wear it now at the range all the time), working with sheetmetal (Commercial HVAC installations) and working with a live band for a year or two. So it could just be that my hearing is not so good and was already problematic buy the time CD's started coming out.

I'm the same with the whole DVD vs BlueRay thing too. I have both players and have watched both and see no difference between the two formats so I buy DVD's as they're usually around $10 or more less than BR discs. In fact, I once loaded the exact same movie into both and switched between the two and I couldn't see a difference. Not like the difference you see between a HD channel and a non-HD channel on TV. As for the sound on BR....same thing as music...........my ears don't hear any difference.
    There's two plausible reasons why you can't hear the difference and your hearing probably isn't one of them. I suspect my hearing is worse than yours, but one's brain has the ability to fill in the blanks. Reason one is, you probably don't know what to listen for and reason two is your system may not be resolving enough. Learning what to listen for takes time and a certain amount of experience, not unlike developing one's cigar palette. Resolving systems cost lot's of money. You may not be willing to spend $10,000 and much more to hear the difference.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Good play sir.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Then I'd suggest therapy. True story - when I was younger, my parents had to set boundaries for how far I could ride my bike. Feeling my oats, I rode one day to a local record store, to see if I could pick up some records of some albums I wanted to hear. The albums were more than I had, but with wanting a souvenir from my trek, I bought a couple of cheapie albums - one of them, a Paul Anka album.
    As punishment for not obeying my boundaries, I had to listen to the album exclusively for an entire week.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! Thanks for playing! I'll get your prize pack out to you (hopefully) tomorrow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

I'm the same with the whole DVD vs BlueRay thing too. I have both players and have watched both and see no differece between the two formats so I buy DVD's as they're usually around $10 or more less than BR discs. In fact, I once loaded the exact same movie into both and switched between the two and I couldn't see a difference. Not like the difference you see between a HD channel and a non-HD channel on TV. As for the sound on BR....same thing as music...........my ears don't hear any difference.
    The audio - I can understand, it's night and day to me, but I can understand not being able to tell the difference.
    The video - I got nothing. BluRay is just so over the top sharp - but this might also depend on other factors - like the movie you're watching, and the audio/video setup. Even though I can tell the difference, we still buy DVD's, as video quality isn't nearly as important to me as audio quality.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    There's two plausible reasons why you can't hear the difference and your hearing probably isn't one of them. I suspect my hearing is worse than yours, but one's brain has the ability to fill in the blanks. Reason one is, you probably don't know what to listen for and reason two is your system may not be resolving enough. Learning what to listen for takes time and a certain amount of experience, not unlike developing one's cigar palette. Resolving systems cost lot's of money. You may not be willing to spend $10,000 and much more to hear the difference.

Doc
    I don't even own a sound stereo system. My home theater system has an iPod docking station but it's a home theater system, not a high end stereo. I've never had a chance to actually do a side-by-side comparison of digital vs analog which I think would make a difference. I've never owned a decent stereo and whenever I've been around one that had both sources, it never actually occured to me to try both and compare.

You're likely right, I suspect I just don't know what to listen for. If I get a chance again to compare the two I'll take it and give it a listen and see if I can spot any difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    The audio - I can understand, it's night and day to me, but I can understand not being able to tell the difference.
    The video - I got nothing. BluRay is just so over the top sharp - but this might also depend on other factors - like the movie you're watching, and the audio/video setup. Even though I can tell the difference, we still buy DVD's, as video quality isn't nearly as important to me as audio quality.
    Well, a couple years back the wife and I invested in a top of the line Sony Bravia TV with a Sony Home Theater system. Shortly after buying that, we invested in a Sony BlueRay. So I'm pretty sure the issue isn't the system. Chances are my eyes, like my ears.........just ain't what they used to be...........LOL
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information