Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computers

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I put 2 sticks back in (2GB) to get to Crucial's website and request a RMA. Worked fine last night for whatever I threw at it.

Even though only 1 stick didn't pass memtest, I'm sending both from the production batch back.
    Good thinking. I suspect Crucial would have sent you a replacement pair and asked for both back anyhow so you've likely saved yourself some time.

While I've dealt with bad RAM issues professionally often enough, I can only think of one time I've had a bad stick myself and that was a used machine I picked up on the cheap that had RAM in it that was some obscure brand.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    LOL

I hear that. I have 2 UPS's in my office and 4 at use at home. I am also responsible for all the small ones we use in our closets here at work. Those are all APC SmartUPS 1500 va's. We have 3 big industrial sized ones in our server room (50 kva, 70 kva, and the newest one put in last year is 80 kva) Those all have 40 batteries in them! Luckily we have a contract with the provider to deal with those batteries.

What make/model is it if you don't mind me asking? If it's an APC, I can definitely help you figure out what your replacement battery is and probably even find you a price and place to buy in the US.....if you need help with that.
    APC Smart-UPS 750 i have 2 of the rack mount ones mounted under my desk.
    I picked up 2 batteries today and need to get 2 more "$39 a pop."

I just wanted the damn alarm to stop so i went out and picked up 2 for now.
    As for run time when the power is out i get all of 3 to 4 min Im not useing them for the run time.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    APC Smart-UPS 750 i have 2 of the rack mount ones mounted under my desk.
    I picked up 2 batteries today and need to get 2 more "$39 a pop."

I just wanted the damn alarm to stop so i went out and picked up 2 for now.
    As for run time when the power is out i get all of 3 to 4 min Im not useing them for the run time.

I have a bunch of the SmartUPS-650va's at home. Those are the ones that look like an oversized power bar. I don't buy them for run time either as those particular units don't offer much. But, they do work great for short interruptions (like a flicker that makes your lights dim momentarily) that would normally shut my PC or home theatre system down...which happens regularly at my house.

I also use them for protection and power conditioning of course. What I like most about APC is their lifetime warranty.

I was just going to check what I'd pay for your batteries, and I'm pretty sure it would be more than you quoted above, but APC's website seems to be not responding right now so I can't figure out what your replacement battery number is..........lol.

I know for the units I bought, the difference between a replacement battery and a new unit is about $10 - 20 so I'd likely just buy new units in 5 years when the batteries in them are ready for replacement. I suspect we pay a lot more for the devices, and their batteries, here in Canada than you are in the US....that's typical for most any product.

Reminds me I have to take the sledge to my old desktop's fried hard drive. I knew it would go haywire when I got it running faster that when it was new.

Blog Entries

I'm back to fucking hating computers again.

Got the replacement RAM today, but guess what? It doesn't even boot to the BIOS. It should be compatible. Maybe I'm missing something...
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I'm back to fucking hating computers again.

Got the replacement RAM today, but guess what? It doesn't even boot to the BIOS. It should be compatible. Maybe I'm missing something...
    You sure you have the memory in all the way? it should snap in place. If there's nothing in there, or only partially in there, it won't boot.

You should, however, hear a beep. How many 'beeps' does it give you?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    You sure you have the memory in all the way? it should snap in place. If there's nothing in there, or only partially in there, it won't boot.

You should, however, hear a beep. How many 'beeps' does it give you?
    Nah, it's in there with the "snap"

It doesn't give me any beeps, and the vid card fan runs full tilt, like on startup prior to the BIOS.

Asus M3N-HT is supposed to support DDR2 PC8500, but apparently it doesn't like it.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Maybe you should call an architect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Maybe you should call an architect.

Pfft. They'd just tell me I need to open up more space inside my computer so it's more aesthetically pleasing and then just walk away.

Uncle Tupelo

Nah, it's in there with the "snap"

It doesn't give me any beeps, and the vid card fan runs full tilt, like on startup prior to the BIOS.

Asus M3N-HT is supposed to support DDR2 PC8500, but apparently it doesn't like it.
    Not sure if that's the right RAM for that mobo:

4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667/533 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
    Dual Channel memory architecture
    *DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU only
    **When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

From the following spec page:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...specifications

It's very important that the RAM is non-ECC as well. Check the packaging on your replacement RAM and if it doesn't match the above, then you have the wrong RAM.

Blog Entries

Anyone need some DDR2 PC8500 RAM?

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I like them when the work.

I FUCKING HATE THEM when they don't.

That is all.
    Had to quote myself here, tonight.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Not resolved yet, but now it appears that I am running an ancient router. So ancient, Verizon didn't bat an eye at sending me a new free on.

Uncle Tupelo

Not resolved yet, but now it appears that I am running an ancient router. So ancient, Verizon didn't bat an eye at sending me a new free on.
    At least you get them free (like me) Lot's of ISP's charge for their modems.

What's happening with the computer?

Blog Entries

At least you get them free (like me) Lot's of ISP's charge for their modems.

What's happening with the computer?
    Well, I'll preface by saying that wifey's computer took a shit, and it was decided before that it would be replaced with a laptop. Now, I did hasty research, and there is just way, way too many options in this market. So, I got something. It wasn't ungodly expensive, but it's not $50 either. I would expect this thing to do something out of the box.

It won't connect to the wi-fi here, and basically any new computer today is an expensive paperweight without internet.

Windows 8....um....it's....different. I also foolishly didn't opt for the touchscreen model.

Alas, we'll see what the new router does.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

If buying a new laptop, then get touchscreen. Check.

Buy a box of cigars instead of a laptop.

Hmmm.

Weird that it won't connect. Perhaps there is a MAC address whitelist enabled on the router?

Blog Entries

The current router is only capable of WEP security, and I think that's the hissy fit with the new laptop.

Uncle Tupelo

Well, I'll preface by saying that wifey's computer took a shit, and it was decided before that it would be replaced with a laptop. Now, I did hasty research, and there is just way, way too many options in this market. So, I got something. It wasn't ungodly expensive, but it's not $50 either. I would expect this thing to do something out of the box.

It won't connect to the wi-fi here, and basically any new computer today is an expensive paperweight without internet.

Windows 8....um....it's....different. I also foolishly didn't opt for the touchscreen model.

Alas, we'll see what the new router does.
    Microsoft is supposed to have either released, or is about to release an update for Windows 8 that brings back the Windows 7 start button and menu's so you may want to look into that. Here's a link to some info on the update:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100844998

The wireless issue could be several things. Before doing anything else, I would look for newer drivers for the wireless device. If there are newer, definitely update them on the laptop and try again.

The current router is only capable of WEP security, and I think that's the hissy fit with the new laptop.
    That's not too likely to be the issue. Encryption should not affect a wireless devices ability to connect to a wireless network. All it does is encrypt the wireless network to prevent intrusion or theft of data. WEP is old enough that it's easily penetrated with the right software. Maybe 10 minutes if you know what you're doing. WPA2 on the other hand is still a whole lot harder to crack. But I digress.....the problem is connecting to the network itself and encryption should no be able to prevent that if you know the correct encryption key (WLAN password).

If you're buying a new router, be aware that all your devices will have to connect manually (the first time) to the new WLAN (wireless local area network) even if you use the same SSID and encryption key. It's a new router and will not be aware of existing wireless devices (like smart phones, pads etc) that have been connecting to your existing WLAN.

If you'd like a hand when the new router arrives, let me know and PM me your phone number. We'll arrange a time to hookup on the phone (I have unlimited long distance in north America so I'll call you) and I can walk you through it if you need help. I suspect you won't, you're pretty tech savvy and a SOHO router isn't that complex. Just remember to use WPA2 - personal encryption when configuring your WLAN. I would suggest using the same SSID and password just for the sake of simplicity.

Blog Entries

Thank god they are bringing the start button back. I just ordered a new latop ( http://www.woot.com/offers/asus-17-3...-gaming-laptop ) due to my 2.5 year old Lenovo Ideapad going psycho ex girlfriend on me. I'm just glad I still have my "student copy" of windows 7 from college backed up and ready to go.

Blog Entries

Microsoft is supposed to have either released, or is about to release an update for Windows 8 that brings back the Windows 7 start button and menu's so you may want to look into that. Here's a link to some info on the update:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100844998

The wireless issue could be several things. Before doing anything else, I would look for newer drivers for the wireless device. If there are newer, definitely update them on the laptop and try again.

That's not too likely to be the issue. Encryption should not affect a wireless devices ability to connect to a wireless network. All it does is encrypt the wireless network to prevent intrusion or theft of data. WEP is old enough that it's easily penetrated with the right software. Maybe 10 minutes if you know what you're doing. WPA2 on the other hand is still a whole lot harder to crack. But I digress.....the problem is connecting to the network itself and encryption should no be able to prevent that if you know the correct encryption key (WLAN password).

If you're buying a new router, be aware that all your devices will have to connect manually (the first time) to the new WLAN (wireless local area network) even if you use the same SSID and encryption key. It's a new router and will not be aware of existing wireless devices (like smart phones, pads etc) that have been connecting to your existing WLAN.

If you'd like a hand when the new router arrives, let me know and PM me your phone number. We'll arrange a time to hookup on the phone (I have unlimited long distance in north America so I'll call you) and I can walk you through it if you need help. I suspect you won't, you're pretty tech savvy and a SOHO router isn't that complex. Just remember to use WPA2 - personal encryption when configuring your WLAN. I would suggest using the same SSID and password just for the sake of simplicity.
    Thanks for the "savvy" remark I prefer to refer to myself as "knows enough to be dangerous"

Anyway, got the new router today, and you're right, it didn't resolve the problem. Called Sony back, and in the end, they want to send it on an all expense paid trip for service.

I'm thinking I'll just return it for a refund, and try something else WITH a touch screen.

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information