Thread: Newbie after something a bit mild but aromatic

1. Default Newbie after something a bit mild but aromatic

Hi, I'm looking for a few cigars to try that are not very harsh but mild and aromatic. I've recently taken up the pipe and am a big fan of Amphora Aromatic, Clan and Holland House Aromatic (just to give you a rough idea of what I'm after!) I've tried a Cohiba and Punch a while back which were ok but one of them was a little harsh for me (just can't remember which one!)

I've also developed a bit of a taste for rum! And would like a nice cigar to pair with any of the following rums:

Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof
    Cruzan Single Barrell
    Plantation XO

Here's a link to my local tobacconist in Cardiff, budgets around £40 so not a huge amount but enough to try a couple out!

http://www.havanahouse.co.uk/product...D=1017&type=C#

^^^any there to consider?

Cheers, Dave.

2. Default

For something mild and aromatic I would suggest:

yo de monterey - epicure number 1 or epicure number 2. r 2. Both are great "summer" smokes and go really well with a wheat beer or a champagne.

Another mild smoke is the H.Upmann range, try the magnum 46 with a cab/merlot.

Both would go well with a light rum, but for a dark rum I would suggest maybe a Juan Lopez selection #2 or perhaps a Diplomaticos #2.

3. Default

Apologies that should have read HOYO DE MONTEREY

Ooohhh... Tall order. Pairing a "mild" cigar against something like a Havana Club Barrel Proof rum. Especially if you're saying Cohiba and Punch is "too harsh".

Have you tried a Montecristo #2? I know it's not exactly mild, but is an excellent pairing with something like Havana Club Barrel Proof. I've always appreciated Montecristo's woodiness paired with the more full flavored and spiciness of something like a barrel proof spirit. You don't seem lose either the cigar or the spirit in pairing.

...and I suppose it depends on which Cohiba vitola you're smoking. If you did not like a Cohiba Robusto, you might want to try the Lancero (or vice versa). That could make all the difference in the world.

The other thing to consider with Cuban cigars is age. Oftentimes "younger" Cuban cigars smoke more raw and harsh than the same cigar that's rested for several years. I once smoked a Quintero Brevas that was most memorable. It had aged for several years. Most pleasant and flavorful, but not in the least bit harsh or raw.

BTW - since you're on the right side of the "pond", have you been dabbling in that most incredible elixir those Scotsmen have been brewing? If I were in your neighborhood there'd be no stopping me heading to the distilleries! LOL

Cheers!

Cheers!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rumncoke View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for a few cigars to try that are not very harsh but mild and aromatic. I've recently taken up the pipe and am a big fan of Amphora Aromatic, Clan and Holland House Aromatic (just to give you a rough idea of what I'm after!) I've tried a Cohiba and Punch a while back which were ok but one of them was a little harsh for me (just can't remember which one!)

I've also developed a bit of a taste for rum! And would like a nice cigar to pair with any of the following rums:

Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof
    Cruzan Single Barrell
    Plantation XO

Here's a link to my local tobacconist in Cardiff, budgets around £40 so not a huge amount but enough to try a couple out!

http://www.havanahouse.co.uk/product...D=1017&type=C#

^^^any there to consider?

Cheers, Dave.
    Thanks for share excellent link

Try an Oliva Serie G with the camaroon wrapper.

Sent from my Star Trek communicator

Thread Information