Thread: Why have a business advice section?

Default Why have a business advice section?

Hi all,

I joined this forum to ask one question. Why do you have a business help and advice section?

Every post that I have looked at on here from some one asking for advice has mostly been met with hostile, demeaning, and generally negative
    responses. Yes, I found this site because I had some general interest in starting a small cigar shop, but I surely won't ask a question regarding
    that here. Shocking that someone in this day and age doing research into starting a cigar shop might use the internet and might end up on
    CigarSmokers.com that has a Business Help and Advice section. Granted some of the questions on here have been as vague as "tell me how to
    start"; that would also make me doubt someone's ability to run a business. But people have to start somewhere, and I like to ask people who
    know. Sadly, those of you on here who do seem to know and have successfully started and maintained a cigar business, would rather describe
    how impossible it is and how stupid those of us who would like to try for ourselves are. Maybe this viewpoint comes from how hard it truly is to
    start a business (yes we all have seem the statistics of how many start-ups fail), or maybe it's because those who have not yet become jaded
    irritate those who have?

Regardless of the reason, if this community does not want to help, why have the topic listed since it clearly irritates so many of the regular
    posters? Lastly, I am not posting this to incite anger or just to get a rise. It is just frustrating to me to see a forum with people on it, who clearly have a lot of knowledge to share, who are so quick to dismiss those who want to do what they have already done.

Forum - A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Good luck to all of you in all of your goals and dreams.
    Jake
    Last edited by JakeM; 10-25-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer corrections by buzz

Blog Entries

Let's see if I can help...

1. someone, not "some one"
    2. site, not "sight"
    3. won't, not "wont"
    4. day and age, not "day in age"
    5. someone's, not "some one's"
    6. seen, not "seem"
    7. incite, not "insight"

Other than those, good post.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Let's see if I can help...

1. someone, not "some one"
    2. site, not "sight"
    3. won't, not "wont"
    4. day and age, not "day in age"
    5. someone's, not "some one's"
    6. seen, not "seem"
    7. incite, not "insight"

Other than those, good post.
    My grammar and spelling are not good, admittedly so. I am not a good writer.
    Thanks Buzz for editing for me. I went back and made your recommended changes. Although I did leave number 6 the way I had it. I think I got that one right.
    Other thoughts?

Jake
    Last edited by JakeM; 10-25-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Blog Entries

grammar, not "grammer"

Other thoughts, sure...

This isn't your normal forum. We view this as a community and if you're here just to get information from us so you can go make money we will show you the door. If you opted to become a part of the community, and instead of looking for what you could get from us, looked for what you could contribute... our responses to your questions would be much different.

You'll find the same holds true in life. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you are communicating with a computer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Hi all,

I joined this forum to ask one question. Why do you have a business help and advice section?

Every post that I have looked at on here from some one asking for advice has mostly been met with hostile, demeaning, and generally negative
    responses. Yes, I found this site because I had some general interest in starting a small cigar shop, but I surely won't ask a question regarding
    that here. Shocking that someone in this day and age doing research into starting a cigar shop might use the internet and might end up on
    CigarSmokers.com that has a Business Help and Advice section. Granted some of the questions on here have been as vague as "tell me how to
    start"; that would also make me doubt someone's ability to run a business. But people have to start somewhere, and I like to ask people who
    know. Sadly, those of you on here who do seem to know and have successfully started and maintained a cigar business, would rather describe
    how impossible it is and how stupid those of us who would like to try for ourselves are. Maybe this viewpoint comes from how hard it truly is to
    start a business (yes we all have seem the statistics of how many start-ups fail), or maybe it's because those who have not yet become jaded
    irritate those who have?

Regardless of the reason, if this community does not want to help, why have the topic listed since it clearly irritates so many of the regular
    posters? Lastly, I am not posting this to incite anger or just to get a rise. It is just frustrating to me to see a forum with people on it, who clearly have a lot of knowledge to share, who are so quick to dismiss those who want to do what they have already done.

Forum - A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Jake
    Why ask the question?

Ahh see Buzz I made that mistake on purpose for you...I fixed it though...for you.

And thank you for posting some content.
    Again it just is so frustrating to me. I would not treat someone like this if they were talking to me in person, I wouldn't say to their face "thank you for giving me some content," I would be polite. Yet for some reason it's ok since it's on a forum?

I understand where you are coming from, and I respect that. But instead of immediately jumping to anger, why not explain? Even have a canned response from a moderator ready if that's what you want the community to be? I wonder how many more members of your community you could have. I promise that if I have found and read this site while trying to get information from the internet, many others have as well. And I'm certain I am not the only one coming away thinking...no thanks.

Jake

Blog Entries

But instead of immediately jumping to anger, why not explain?
    Don't let my sigtag fool you... I'm not angry.

ETA:

I wonder how many more members of your community you could have.
    Quantity is something that this community is not concerned about.
    Last edited by buzz; 10-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Why ask the question?
    2 reasons:
    Out of frustration. There is a point for me where I have an idea and I want to check it out, but I'm not ready to share it. I want to learn about it. I want to learn from the people who have been there and done it. Not from some one who specializes in giving advice. When you can't get information from the people who have done it...it's frustrating.

The other reason is I thought, perhaps more romantically, was that it might inspire change.

I like cigars and I like business. It's what I studied in college, not that thats saying much (see comment about those who specialize in giving advice). I love the idea of starting my own business. When I found the forum and I saw the Business Help & Advice section, I was excited...then disappointed.

Blog Entries

Some advice: spend a little more time than this guy did thinking of a name for your cigar shop.

"Your Name's" Cigars??

Blog Entries

Your posts here show that you have taken only a cursory glance at this forum.....have little clue as to what it is really about.....and are pouting that it isn't what you want it to be. I'd say I was sorry but that would be a lie, and I do my very best never to do that.

To your point regarding potential members that just keep on browsing when they can't get their instant gratification here, all I say is, good.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Your posts here show that you have taken only a cursory glance at this forum.....have little clue as to what it is really about.....and are pouting that it isn't what you want it to be. I'd say I was sorry but that would be a lie, and I do my very best never to do that.

To your point regarding potential members that just keep on browsing when they can't get their instant gratification here, all I say is, good.
    That's fine, and thats my point. We just see things differently I guess. I want to help people regardless of whether or not they are a part of my community. I am willing to do things for strangers: push them out of a ditch in the winter, mow a lawn in the summer, haul something with my truck,answer questions, provide help if i can. I don't say this to talk myself up, instead i think many people are willing to do the same things. But apparently on this forum you have a code of "provide for us before we provide for you," at least now according to my cursory interaction with people who appear to be long term frequent posters.

I do not now, and did not when I posted, want anything from this forum. Instead my point was that if a new member asks a question and all you do is tear them down for say: grammar, not being a member long enough before asking a question, or contributing enough. why have the help and advice section? The scratch my back first then if you pass the test, I'll scratch yours is what I disagree with. And I wonder how many quality members have been put off by this. All of this of course in the Business Help & Advice section anyway, which is what i am talking about.

Anyway, if there is a moderator that can, delete my account, ban me, or otherwise, that is fine i will not be back.

Jake

Blog Entries

Who among us is a shop owner? I demand to know!!!

And why haven't we been doing box splits out of your shop?!?!?!? Speak up!!!!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

You misunderstood my meaning of "contribute". Maybe a word picture will help you understand:

A certain guy, let's call him Charlie, finds out about a group of guys who hang out in some guy named Will's basement, smoking cigars and talking about different things, one of them being the cigar shop business. Charlie wants to go into the cigar business so he decides to go down into the basement and ask those guys how to do it. He walks in, see us all sitting there in our comfy chairs puffing away on our cigars, drinking our scotch, and listening to whatever it is that Mark has provided that week. Charlie asks us how to start a cigar shop and we all look at each other and ask if anyone knows this guy... nope, nobody knows Charlie. Sorry Charlie, but good luck with your venture. If your car outside has a flat tire we'd be happy to come up and help you out, but you'll need to seek your business advice elsewhere - this isn't Will's Business Advice Basement.

Alternatively, another guy, let's call him Jackson Dangerfield, finds out about the group, wants to start a cigar business, and decides it would be a good idea to hang out with some other guys who may have experience in the cigar business. He walks into the basement, introduces himself, is handed a cigar and some scotch and pointed to the available empty chair. After hanging out for an hour or two he starts to ask the guys about the cigar business, they offer whatever advice and information they are able to provide. Jackson returns every week to hang out with his new friends, learning more about cigars and the cigar business and one day opens up his own shop.

Maybe later if I get the time I'll upload some pictures depicting these two scenarios.

Hi all,

I joined this forum to ask one question.
    Well I guess that wasn't all together true, now was it?

The scratch my back first then if you pass the test, I'll scratch yours is what I disagree with. And I wonder how many quality members have been put off by this.
    Is it really too much to ask that you put forth a bit of effort on your end first? Why should anyone here have to bend to your way of doing things, when you obviously have not put any thought into how this community works? And has been working for quite some time, I might add.

Oh, and you should have a question mark after that last sentence. But, in answer to your question...None. Because they are not members.

Anyway, if there is a moderator that can, delete my account, ban me, or otherwise, that is fine i will not be back.
    This proves my point.

You seem to be somewhat intelligent, and could potentially contribute to this community. It just takes a little effort and research on your part. Almost like starting your own business.

16. Default

MMMmmmmmmmmmm I smell butthurt. Tender young firm but supple butthurt
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    MMMmmmmmmmmmm I smell butthurt. Tender young firm but supple butthurt
    LMAO....firm but supple

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Ask the guy who started the site Jake, his name is Miguel and his screen name is Hex1848.

I've been here pretty much since the beginning and I have no idea why he set up this particular sub-forum. Quite honestly, I never even knew it existed and now that you mention it, I think it would be a great idea to completely eliminate the "Business Help & Advice" sub-forum altogether.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Sadly, those of you on here who do seem to know and have successfully started and maintained a cigar business
    Where the hell are you getting that from? There is not ONE person on this site who has "successfully started and maintained a cigar business" that I know of. If you can find these people, please point them out to us but I'm 99.999% sure there aren't any.

When people like you make stupid, wrong statements like this, you will indeed "irritate" a majority of the active members here and you shouldn't be at all surprised when you are subsequently met with "hostility."

Personally, I think you're an ass.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

That's fine, and thats my point. We just see things differently I guess. I want to help people regardless of whether or not they are a part of my community. I am willing to do things for strangers: push them out of a ditch in the winter, mow a lawn in the summer, haul something with my truck,answer questions, provide help if i can. I don't say this to talk myself up, instead i think many people are willing to do the same things. But apparently on this forum you have a code of "provide for us before we provide for you," at least now according to my cursory interaction with people who appear to be long term frequent posters.

I do not now, and did not when I posted, want anything from this forum. Instead my point was that if a new member asks a question and all you do is tear them down for say: grammar, not being a member long enough before asking a question, or contributing enough. why have the help and advice section? The scratch my back first then if you pass the test, I'll scratch yours is what I disagree with. And I wonder how many quality members have been put off by this. All of this of course in the Business Help & Advice section anyway, which is what i am talking about.

Jake
    This forum, in my opinion, is a gathering of learned men and women who have a common hobby: smoking cigars. There is a level of respect that is inherent with becoming a member. Everyone who joins this forum breaks a rule here or there in the beginning. Did we whine and complain that it wasn't fair? NO, we went back, re-read the rules, FAQ, etc and moved on. We learned from our mistakes. Some people who join this forum have a sense of entitlement by thinking that this forum is an encyclopedia. It is not. It is a community. To be part of the community, you must bring something to the table. This isn't a welfare/free ride program. You get out of this forum what you put into it.

Just my 2 cents, but that's the way it seems to be to me.
    "It is best to keep your mouth shut and be presumed ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt."
    -Mark Twain

"If there are no cigars in Heaven, I shall not go."
    -Mark Twain

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Thread Information